• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 3 players of Fast bowling in last 50 years ?

Nikhil99.94

School Boy/Girl Captain
Steve smith,Viv richards
I just saw a post in insta and Steve smith averages 98 against 140+ speed..we all know smith against swing (2019 in England)and we all most likely know about Viv richards against pace.
Others are pretty close tbh.

Nikhil99.94

School Boy/Girl Captain
How tf would someone have measured that with any accuracy

It might very well be true but I'm skeptical as to where the data came from
It’s posted in Instagram by fox cricket in Jan 22,2020.as per it smith averages 98 and the 2nd highest is virat and that’s 56 then it’s in high 40s.

sunilz

International Regular
Sanju Manju also considers our supreme cricketer , modern Day Sobers , SIR RAVINDRA JADEJA ( with W/L greater than Don Bradman) "bits and pieces" cricketer.

Any person who uses Sanju Manju name with respect on this forum should be banned for 1 month @Prince EWS

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasim and Waqar would likely say Crowe.

Few handled the WI-peak 80s attack of Marshall, Garner, Holding and co better than Crowe, whether it was his 188 in Georgetown as a 22 y/old in '85, or his 2 tons & an 80 in a low scoring 3 test series in 1987

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd throw in an early south Africans in to the mix, Andrew Hudson. Beast against pace bowling, but was mediocre against spin. Robin Smith is another. May be Greg Blewett too.

Burgey

Remember when Pakistan fans went ape **** over that lightning fast spell Shoaib bowled to Ponting and Langer at the WACA and how it was a such a great example of sheer, terrifying pace on a really fast deck, but forgot to mention Ponting made 190?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Remember when Pakistan fans went ape **** over that lightning fast spell Shoaib bowled to Ponting and Langer at the WACA and how it was a such a great example of sheer, terrifying pace on a really fast deck, but forgot to mention Ponting made 190?
Was that even the 10th fastest spell Shoaib bowled? The bounce makes it look very fast. Ponting was very good, there is no question about iy, but I have seen many faster spells from Shoaib that looked far less spectacular.

Burgey

If there’s a deck he could roll up and carry around to bowl on it’d be perth. Same for anyone who bowled real heat. That was a quality knock against proper pace by Ponting, who hadn’t scored a run in the series up til then. Even jagged a pair in Hobart.

i mean, I know it’s not Kandy or Colombo, but it does have a rep of helping fast bowlers

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
If there’s a deck he could roll up and carry around to bowl on it’d be perth. Same for anyone who bowled real heat. That was a quality knock against proper pace by Ponting, who hadn’t scored a run in the series up til then. Even jagged a pair in Hobart.

i mean, I know it’s not Kandy or Colombo, but it does have a rep of helping fast bowlers
It wasn't the Perth of 40 years ago, where pure pace might bother even an ATG player of pace like Ponting. And it isnt a ground that the ball swings much at, nor is Akhtar a seam bowler, who would have been more effective.

Ya, that kind of heat and bounce may have ripped through (eg., some) subcontinental greats, but I doubt anyone is disputing that Ponting is one of the best players of pace and bounce ever, so not exactly sure sure what point you are making.

Pure pace excites people, regardless of how effective it is.

Burgey

It was the Perth of 22 years ago tbf. Thank god it wasn’t the perth of 2015 or so. What a ****ing turgid horror story that was

Kirkut

International Regular
Laxman is underrated vs pace. He was a walking wicket against lateral movement but the way he effortlessly creamed Brett Lee for fours in his 167 at the SCG was magical.

Kirkut

International Regular
That isn't really true IMO. The problem with Imran is that he is biased towards "fearless" players and "match winners" hence his low rating for Zaheer Abbas and until 1988 WI tour, even Miandad, and his love for players like Viv Richards and Ian Chappell.

Also if he thinks somebody has potential, he will back them in the face of all opposition and common sense e.g. the Elahi guy in his playing days, Abdul Qadir (the greatest legspinner to every play until that time if Imran was to be taken at face value), and Malcolm Sami, to name just a few.

Incidentally he also backs the Punjab Chief Minister (a guy called Buzdar) who really sucks and calls him another Wasim Akram.

The point is, that's the way he has always functioned, and if he doesn't rate anybody in the beginning, he rarely changes his mind. His instincts have served him well in cricket, until they haven't and he's carried this problem all through his life.
I guess Imran is bit like Warne here while rating cricketers. Warne too goes strongly by instinct and rates Merv Hughes very highly, even above Allan Donald. He prioritizes match winners over stats it seems.

Kirkut

International Regular
Sachin was quality against pace but he never really dominated them like Ponting and Viv did. I can think of his 98 in 2003 World Cup vs Shoaib and Wasim as well as his 169 at Cape Town where he kept hammering Donald for fours with on drives as rare examples of him attacking pace. Otherwise like Joe Root he would play them well without taking them on.

smash84

The Tiger King
I guess Imran is bit like Warne here while rating cricketers. Warne too goes strongly by instinct and rates Merv Hughes very highly, even above Allan Donald. He prioritizes match winners over stats it seems.
Yep, he loved "fearless" cricketers and admired Gavaskar playing in his floppy hat and Viv staring down fast bowlers. These were the two top batsman of his time according to him.

He also declared when Miandad was on 280 against India because he wanted to win and didn't really care for personal milestones. Miandad never forgave him for that and thought that Imran did it out of spite.