• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 3 fast bowlers in tests ATM?

Who are the 3 best fast bowlers today ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wood-e

Cricket Spectator
ZAK is King

Zaheer is an ordinary bowler who averages in mid 30s. Even in his last few years of his peak, he still averages in mid 30s.
Zaheer is truley a great bowler who had been part of an average bowling attack and bowling on Pitches that can be compared to bowling with a Tennis Ball on Pennat Hiils Road in Sydney.

If you honestly think Ameer is a better bowler that ZAK you must be smoking some good stuff. Wait till ameer Acheives what ZAK does, Ameer probably looks up to ZAK as a role model. Stats are complete and utter BS ZAK's bowling average does not do justice to his overall skill level.

IMO Hilfenhaus is a way better Red Ball bowler than anyone in Australia. No matter what conditions or atnospehere the guy gets his outie going all day no other bowler in world cricket can consistently bowl that outie like hilfenhaus does. Actually reminds me of Kamil Dev the release out of the hand.

So in conluding best quiks in the world.

Asif
Steyn
Zaheer
Hilfenhaus

Mention must also got to Kemar Roach and Ameer who will be great one day.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaheer Khan is a veteran of 10 years. Aamer has barely played test cricket for a year. I don't understand this comparision.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aamer's test average is over 40 so how anyone can say that he "consistently" delivers is beyond me

As of right now, he is no more than extremely promising

Zaheer is, and virtually always has been, style over substance and that's why he averages mid-30s

For all his inconsistency, Johnson reached 150 test wickets faster than any left-arm paceman in history and is the reigning world cricketer of the year

Dont even see how it's open to debate tbh

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I dont know about others..but I have never used the term 'consistency' in relation to Mohammad Aamer. Firstly, I dont think consistency is even a criteria Aamer can be judged on considering he is barely 1 year old in Test cricket.

Michael Holding summed it up the best...Aamer is inexperienced and immature at times and this showed in the second innings. However, people like me who rate him highly do so based on his talent and what we have seen of it in the last 1 year.

Mitchell Johnson has a 4 year career behind hiim in which he has produced the goods against top quality sides. He clearly deserves to be considered the third best fast bowler in the world.

Umar Gul looked menacing against West Indies in 2006. That was the last time he looked that good.. He has been poor in test cricket for the last 4 years. He has bowled well in the last test match and hopefully he will be at his menacing best. However, he just hasnt done enough to be even in the top 10 bowlers today.

I do believe Aamer is supremely talented, and hearing experts like Wasim, Holding and Waqar speak on him, I dont think I am the only one. I do believe he has the potential to be the number 1 bowler in the world and he will get there on his own accord. Me or his fans will not have to 'argue' about it, just like you don't have to argue that Dale Steyn is the best fast bowler in the world today. He is ranked number 1, no room for argument.

I hope this clears it once and for all.

Spark

Global Moderator
Mention must also got to Kemar Roach and Ameer who will be great one day.
May be great one day. Take that as a foregone conclusion and we could be seeing another Ishant Sharma case which would be a diabolical shame.

Debris

International 12th Man
Steyn has been putting up consistently good performances. After that, it really depends who has shown up on the day. A lot of inconsistency.

FBU

International Debutant
I like to see how bowlers do against top order batsmen. Johnson doesn't open the bowling so his figures reflect that a bit.

Top order 1-3 - Middle order 4-7 - Tail 8-11

47.9% - 33.5% - 18.6% - Khan
43.5% - 38.2% - 18.0% - Asif
30.3% - 34.6% - 35.1% - Steyn
30.1% - 39.7% - 30.1% - Johnson (Hilfenhaus 51.4% - 29.7% - 18.9%)

52.0% - 40.0% - 8.0% - Aamer

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I like to see how bowlers do against top order batsmen. Johnson doesn't open the bowling so his figures reflect that a bit.

Hmm, that analysis just punishes bowlers for getting the tail out though, no matter how well they do against the top order. For example, getting one top order batsman and no-one else out would be better for you under that analyis than grabbing three top order wickets and one tailender. 100% > 80%, but obviously the 80% guy has actually done better against the top order.

So it could be very, very misleading information unless you put it alongside bowling averages or even top order wickets per Test or something.

slowfinger

International Debutant

Woah- Asif>Steyn? Wierd but cool, shows that Steyn is out and out full innings and Asif opens a lot.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Aamer in his short career has also had a dozen or more wickets dropped. I added it up once and its mind boggling how much Pakistan's fielding costs them.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No...it means Steyn maintian his average by getting more tail ender wickets
Thats not true..I dont agree with that at all. Look if you want to argue for Asif, you dont have to put Steyn down in order to do so. Just wait...if Asif is good enough, he will topple Steyn from the number 1 position..and you wont even have to argue..everyone will agree anyway.

And this goes to Steyn supporters as well.. Steyn is already the best bowler in the world, you dont have to make nonsensical argument against Asif to prove his superiority.

Last edited:

cric

Cricket Spectator
Aamer in his short career has also had a dozen or more wickets dropped. I added it up once and its mind boggling how much Pakistan's fielding costs them.
Its funny cause, If Aamar was a South African bowler or played for any other country that doesn't have such low fielding standards his figures would be way better than they are now. P.S he has played under 2 test captains I recon (Yousuf and Afridi), who aren't the best tacticians around when it comes to test cricket. Therefore I also think he would have also done better under captaincy of lets say Ricky Ponting for instance because he knows when you use a certain bowler in different parts of the innings.

Also relating back to the topic I think currently (ATM); Steyn, Asif, and Johnson are all obv. Better than Aamer, but since he's played fewer test matches, and is younger than all of em' I think Aamer has the ability and chance to become the best. Period.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
This, i read that post of yours it was nearly 13-15 wickets....that makes a big difference...

popepouri

State Vice-Captain

LOL. Worst stats I've seen to justify how someone is a better than others. This stat should be based on how the captain uses his strike bowler.