• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Greatest Fast Bowlers of All Time in Tests?

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
A slight revision to my list:

Marshall
Mcgarth
Hadlee
Steyn
Imran/Ambrose(also tending towards Imran for a slightly more spread out record, and really doing well on flat Pakistani pitches)
Wasim
Donald
Lilee
Trueman

Slifer

International Captain
Bumbrah is way way way more skilled than Bishop. Skill set wise he is up there with Marshall and Wasim.
One too many "ways" there buddy. Did you even see Bishop bowl pre-injury? Bishop swung the ball both ways, had pace, bounce leg/off cutters and a nasty bouncer. Bishop lacked nothing except for maybe reverse swing and took pitches out of the equation. While playing amongst Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh and Patterson, Bishop took his 1st 100 wkts in 20 tests. Fwiw, I never said Bumrah wasn't more skilled but he wasn't head and shoulders (skill-wise) above pre-injury Ian Bishop. Gthoh with that....

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
One too many "ways" there buddy. Did you even see Bishop bowl pre-injury? Bishop swung the ball both ways, had pace, bounce leg/off cutters and a nasty bouncer. Bishop lacked nothing except for maybe reverse swing and took pitches out of the equation. While playing amongst Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh and Patterson, Bishop took his 1st 100 wkts in 20 tests. Fwiw, I never said Bumrah wasn't more skilled but he wasn't head and shoulders (skill-wise) above pre-injury Ian Bishop. Gthoh with that....
He was challenging Waqar for the fastest in the world while swinging the ball both ways. Briefly almost made Amby an after though,

Slifer

International Captain
He was challenging Waqar for the fastest in the world while swinging the ball both ways. Briefly almost made Amby an after though,
He did. In the late 80s while growing up in the Caribbean, everybody I knew rated Ian over Curtly when both broke into the WI team. And with good reason.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
He did. In the late 80s while growing up in the Caribbean, everybody I knew rated Ian over Curtly when both broke into the WI team. And with good reason.
Those three together for a decade would have been phenomenal to watch and would have turned cricket on its head. No we still wouldn't have been better than Australia, but would have been a hell of a fight

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Crazy how many great bowlers WI produced within 15 years

Roberts
Holding
Garner
Marshall
Walsh
Ambrose
Bishop
Even crazier how much they've struggled to develop any since, especially any who were actually useful away from home. Merv Dillon was under-rated in such a bat-dominated era, but aside from that they've had a couple of injury-plagued flashes in the pan, a handful of blokes who were good at home but awful away, and about 35 flops.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even crazier how much they've struggled to develop any since, especially any who were actually useful away from home. Merv Dillon was under-rated in such a bat-dominated era, but aside from that they've had a couple of injury-plagued flashes in the pan, a handful of blokes who were good at home but awful away, and about 35 flops.
It was probably just an accident of history. It was/is a pretty small population base in an under resourced region.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Also had Croft, Tony Gray (who could've been another very good one), the scary pace of Patterson, and the allround excellence of Franklyn Stephenson who is one of the best never to play a test.
And not to mention Sylvester Clarke, Wayne Daniel, Winston Davis and even probably Winston Benjamin; who all would had played many more Tests had they belonged to any other team.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I have seem Bishop ball and he was nothing you described. He was up there scarily quick, swing, seam, cutters were there when the pitch suited them. Bumrah can do all of them on pitches that don't even support. Lack of reverse swing and slower balls, and killer yorkers are a MASSIVE lack of skills. Once Bishop lost his pace, he became ordinary, because he did not have any other skills that are needed to beat batsman at top level. Let Bumrah bowl at 130k and he will still work batsmen out because he has lot more skills.

Slifer

International Captain
I have seem Bishop ball and he was nothing you described. He was up there scarily quick, swing, seam, cutters were there when the pitch suited them. Bumrah can do all of them on pitches that don't even support. Lack of reverse swing and slower balls, and killer yorkers are a MASSIVE lack of skills. Once Bishop lost his pace, he became ordinary, because he did not have any other skills that are needed to beat batsman at top level. Let Bumrah bowl at 130k and he will still work batsmen out because he has lot more skills.
You watched highlights, us from the WI watched him live ball by ball. Bishop could and did bowl yorkers and slower balls etc. Just say you don't what the hell you're talking about and move on. Also, he didnt become ordinary because he lost pace, he became less effective because he was freaking injured and I'm constant pain.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
You watched highlights, us from the WI watched him live ball by ball. Bishop could and did bowl yorkers and slower balls etc. Just say you don't what the hell you're talking about and move on. Also, he didnt become ordinary because he lost pace, he became less effective because he was freaking injured and I'm constant pain.
I have watched few ball to ball coverages where he played. No where close to skilled as Bumrah. Even guys like Asif are way more skilled than Bishop.

That doesn't say he wasn't effective. Neither I woukd say Bumrah is better bowler than Bishop. But he had very few modes of operation. Wasim and Bumrah are a delight to watch in the ways they bring in dismissing a batsman.

Just like Wasim was way more skilled than Ambrose, still Ambrose was a better bowler. Bumrah vs Bishop I will wait till Bumrah retires to decide who is better.