• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To celebrate the creation of the sub-forum - Who should be India's #6 for the series?

Who should be India's #6 for the test series?

• Total voters

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Very close call between Kohli and Pujara as I expected this poll to turn out. I choose the technically proficient Kathiawari batsman, but this could go either way.

I confess there could be a bit of personal subjectivity kicking in. I haven't followed ODIs a lot in the last two years since moving to Europe, so basically haven't seen too much of Kohli. What I saw in the West Indies looked impressive. I know a few things about the other guy though. :)

The first time I heard of the name Cheteshwar Pujara was in 2004 (I played club cricket for Baroda then) and he was from the visiting Saurashtra team. Had bowled a lot in the nets and some club matches to players like Jacob Martin, Conor Williams, Irfan Pathan (jr.) and Atul Bedade, so I had a reasonable feel of the quality of first-class players.

Pujara, even as a teenager (then), he stood out with the way he batted. Many of our Baroda coaches and experts (including men like Mehndi Sheikh and Anshuman Gaekwad) were bowled over when they first saw him. Even in the nets, he looked to have the broadest of bats and looked supremely organised. And remember, this was during the guy's U-16 and later U-19 days. He hadn't made his f/c debut then and in a friendly match, played Ranji stalwarts Irfan Pathan (sr.) and Rakesh Patel with superb ease and poise. IIRC, he got some 98 runs on a Baroda track reputed for its pace and bounce - the Motibagh ground.

He was always expected to do very well in f/c cricket. After that prolific year of 2006, his game just went up a few notches. His legendary run-hunger helped him knock two triple-centuries within a week in 2008 and most people who had seen him as a teenager were not surprised. In fact, many of us would be seriously surprised if he doesn't end up as an exceptional test player.

Btw, it's great to see such good healthy competition for India's batting slots. :thumbup1:

Side-note: Bun would do well to concentrate more on his leg-spinning skills. Could be the next bowling all-rounder for India, batting at no. 8! :cool:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To those questioning why Pujara isn't automatically a return to #6, my main point is, do we really want to send Pujara in without playing cricket for a couple of months?

Fair enough you may answer that Sachin and Sehwag will be having the same break, but they're Sachin and Sehwag. Pujara, who I (like most Indian fans) see as a huge part of the future of Indian test cricket, unfortunately hasn't exactly stamped himself on the #6 position. He's been serviceable.

I had Pujara in ahead of Kohli and Badrinath prior to the WI tour. But Pujara's injury changes things. Yes he is the incumbent, but the fact is, he got injured and isn't playing in the West Indies. Kohli will be (unless the selectors lose the plot). To me that automatically allows for his spot to be opened up, since he hasn't nailed down his position like obviously Sachin and Sehwag have.

Now where Pujara should automatically return is if either of the following happen:

a) Kohli fails badly in West Indies
b) Dravid has a horrid West Indies tour and we pull the plug on him.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Forgive my ignorance here, but why doesn't Rohit Sharma ever get a look in? He's the goods for mine.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Rohit is quality Benchy, but there's been criticisms of his attitude in the past. He's hated by many Indian fans on CW (and in general) but I'm a huge backer of his. Will play tests eventually, no doubt in my mind.

I think there is a lot of general love for Kohli right now because of how he steps up to the plate in general at international level, and his FC form is good as well. People are itching for him to get a go and this is the opening.
OOI, What are people's arguments against Badrinath? Age and failure in ODIs?
Even I must admit that I had Badrinath ahead of Kohli before this tour. He's failing at ODIs isn't necessarily the issue. It is kind of disappointing that he's again looking **** whilst doing it though.

I'd much rather he be holing out to long on then being genuinely troubled.

I know they're different formats though. I still hope Kohli plays in place of Sachin and Badrinath in place of Pujara. That way they can "face off" as such.

Raina can go and get runs at FC level.

vcs

Just had a look at his FC stats. Phenominal. Am I missing something?
Indian batsmen's FC stats are inflated a bit TBH, and there are a few who have been doing better than him IIRC.

Saying that, he does look to have turned the corner in this ODI series, but with his lazy/languid style of play, throwing him in against quality swing bowling in England in a high-profile series would be suicide IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Rohit's FC stats stretch over a number of seasons though to be fair. I don't think his FC form can be dismissed (not that you were). It is a huge factor in why I rate him, along with of course watching him at his best.

benchmark00

He's always looked class when I've seen him. You can't undervalue class, Khawaja has it, and Rohit has it. Couple that with the stats he has behind him and you can mount a case for a look in in the near future imo.

If this was football I'd trade Siddle for Sharma in a heart beat.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Rohit's FC stats stretch over a number of seasons though to be fair. I don't think his FC form can be dismissed (not that you were). It is a huge factor in why I rate him, along with of course watching him at his best.
Ajinkya Rahane has better stats than Nohit comfortably playing for the same side too and over slightly more matches both in FC and in List A.
And he never gets a look in.:@

Rohit may be a better potential* talent but atleast Rahane deserves a look in.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I totally agree.

Pujara, Kohli, Badrinath, Rahane, Raina, Mukund and Sharma are all basically fighting for a test spot. Unfortunately, Yuvraj seems to be in the race as well.

That's a lot of players to fit into a team that has Gambhir, Sehwag, Laxman and Sachin all batting well, and a Dravid hanging on.

It probably is time for Dravid to go but I can't do it yet until after England.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
OOI, What are people's arguments against Badrinath? Age and failure in ODIs?
This too.

Badrinath was the MOTM in the T20 IIRC ,then was run out in one of the ODI's unluckily and did not do too well in 3 matches.

He admittedly looked poor in one of the matches ,but don't know where this looking **** in all matches is coming from.:wacko:

Just after 4 matches and that too ODI's to put down a player who is best at the longer form of the game is really unfair.
And i think Age probably plays on people's concious too much.

While People still keep advocating giving Rohit more chances after 50 odd matches,Badrinath is easy to put down after 4.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What was ****ing dumb was having Dhawan play that 5th ODI, when he has no chance in hell of playing tests.

Badrinath should have played to see how he went on that pitch.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I totally agree.

Pujara, Kohli, Badrinath, Rahane, Raina, Mukund and Sharma are all basically fighting for a test spot. Unfortunately, Yuvraj seems to be in the race as well.

That's a lot of players to fit into a team that has Gambhir, Sehwag, Laxman and Sachin all batting well, and a Dravid hanging on.

It probably is time for Dravid to go but I can't do it yet until after England.
I agree.

But now Dravid is touring England ,he might as well stay around till Australia.

I am actually more comfortable putting a new guy in England than Australia, as Indian batsman in all their history have adapted to English conditions much earlier than Australian ones.
Even with the English having a better bowling attack.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
What was ****ing dumb was having Dhawan play that 5th ODI, when he has no chance in hell of playing tests.

Badrinath should have played to see how he went on that pitch.
Was weird they picked Tiwary and Dhawan ahead of Mukund and Rahane in the first place based on the IPL,i think.

Specially considering the fact that Mukund was already in the test squad and probably would have been good for him to adapt in the ODI's to the conditions.

And they definately should have picked Badrinath ahead of Dhawan in the last match and Saha ahead of Random Patel.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There's still a test series vs WI in between.

It'll be a travesty if he doesn't play the WI series, yes. I agree.

But if he fails there it won't be a travesty if he doesn't play in England.