• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Paine ***ting scandal, will resign

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Before the playing condition came in about the umpires taking the ball during breaks in play, did you ever put a wet ball in a pie oven after squeezing its seam together? ****er comes out like a house brick and decks at right angles.

Did it one game when a side was 2/180 at the rain break and we took 6/8 in five overs after wards before the ball got soft again. Works a treat
Nah

Never heard of that one

My best mate is a friend of Imran and we spent time together when he was in Sydney

Taught me how to “look after” the ball & other stuff ?

Starfighter

It's interesting though, what did they all even have in common

Lee was lanky and ran in fast, Shoaib more stocky and I don't think he really sprinted in during his run up

I guess a lot is in shoulder strength?
Shoaib ran pretty fast. Thomson didn't though. More to do with musculature - quicker bowlers have a high proportion of fast twitch fibres. I've even seen people name specific genes but I'm not sure there's much, if any formal research that goes down that rabbit hole.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Before the playing condition came in about the umpires taking the ball during breaks in play, did you ever put a wet ball in a pie oven after squeezing its seam together? ****er comes out like a house brick and decks at right angles.

Did it one game when a side was 2/180 at the rain break and we took 6/8 in five overs after wards before the ball got soft again. Works a treat
When I was a kid first playing club seniors a bloke used to keep the new ball in a freezer overnight before a game. Thaw it in the morning and its deadly

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

When I was a kid first playing club seniors a bloke used to keep the new ball in a freezer overnight before a game. Thaw it in the morning and its deadly
lmao these are so much better than mowing the outfield

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Some amount of ball tampering should be allowed legally at the end of 4th or 5th day. Reverse swing should be an integral part of cricket and not be lost.

There could be some validity behind all teams doing some sort of tampering till the cameras started catching them. We see so many huge fourth innings chases nowadays compared to earlier. This bazball stuff would not have been possible in the reverse swing days.

Flem274*

123/5
Of course you can

But everyone has a natural limit

Spoke to a fast bowling (ex Test player) coach once

He said he could add 5-10ks to nearly anyone except strong guys who started off with a good action already

Then I had dinner with him

We made love
Yep. Shane Bond and Ryan Harris are two professional examples.

A lot more go from medium fast to a respectable fast medium through work.

Club pace is about 110-120kph, with some guys bowling quicker (especially if they're FC players not selected for a format or something). That's still more than enough to knock over most of us.

I'd be shocked if there weren't 1st Grade bowlers in Australia bowling a comfortable FC pace.

duffer

Of course you can

But everyone has a natural limit

Spoke to a fast bowling (ex Test player) coach once

He said he could add 5-10ks to nearly anyone except strong guys who started off with a good action already

Then I had dinner with him

We made love
Hot emoji react

TheJediBrah

Harris and Bond are not in the same category

Harris was a proven star who was injured a lot

Bond never did anything of note in Tests he's pure speculation

Burgey

I'd be shocked if there weren't 1st Grade bowlers in Australia bowling a comfortable FC pace.
There are plenty in the big city first grade comps who would bowl around 130 or just above. But as has been noted, the difference between 130-140 is massive when you're facing it (and not altogether pleasant).

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
How would that work? The ump gives the bowling side a Murray Mint at tea on the fourth day?
Murray Mint is not the only way. A standard tampered ball could also be prepared and given on the fourth day, with batting team also foretold and prepared to encounter the same.

Zinzan

I've been told by someone close to an Aus player on that tour the reason it escalated to the ridiculous sandpaper fiasco was the frustration at the amount of tampering the home side was up to, though as has been said, everyone was doing it (not that that's an excuse).
The old 'Chris Pringle' defence that

Daemon

It’s very obvious from this thread how deeply ingrained the cheating issue is in Australian cricket culture.

Nearly every post here is “we did it because they did it too” with a “(not that it’s an excuse)” thrown in at the end, basically trying to shift some of the blame to SA while trying to appear objective by not condoning the act.

Most of the posting also calls the duo stupid for using sandpaper. Because in their minds it’s fine to cheat, as long as you don’t get caught/can use the spirit of cricket as a defence.

Very sad tbh. Hopefully things change in the future.