• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The worst selections and non-selections in Test history

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly the Paine selection isn't half as bad as something like Agar/Beer or dropping Pujara.

He's competing with Wade and Nevill. All 3 belong in park cricket.

cnerd123

likes this
Honestly the Paine selection isn't half as bad as something like Agar/Beer or dropping Pujara.

He's competing with Wade and Nevill. All 3 belong in park cricket.
Yea I see your point. Plus it's a meaningless series against a team that struggled to beat Bangladesh and West Indies. Doesn't really matter who you pick tbh

Flem274*

123/5
wow i was 17 (time flies), and tbh still stick to that. broad has rained on NZs parade a few times. if he'd been punted in 2008 life would be so much better. worst selection ever.

boult was like 18 when i posted that. he would have been wrecked if he did get picked then

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarke Grimmett’s non-selection for the 38 Ashes was a bad call. Probably cost australia the series.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think there are three different levels of bad selection

There's ones where it's a bad call, but the call itself has good thinking behind it. I'd be ranting every time Jade Dernbach played for England, but at least it made sense in theory 'our death bowling is old-fashioned and ineffective, we need someone with a variety of seam-up options and slower balls to bowl then'.

Then there's ones where the selection is bad, the reasoning is bad, but there's also not much lost from it. This is the 'Michael Beer picked for his local ground knowledge' in 2011, when he had barely played FC cricket and eventually debuted at the SCG where he had never played a game. But he was picked in favour of Xavier Doherty so you might as well roll the dice.

It wasn't really talked about as such at the time but playing Rohit Sharma for a test series ahead of actual Test batsman Pujara owing to him being more of a 'game changer' is the worst selection I can remember. Even if you agreed with the given opinion, it still didn't make sense, it was wrong anyway, and then on top of that they had the obviously correct call just sat there not playing.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And also since we've talked a bit about Michael Slater lately, what the hell was with his initial dropping in 1996?

The 2001 bothered me a bit too but fair enough he had a string of failures that series. In 1996 he was averaging just shy of 50, had an awesome first few years to his career, had scored a double century in the 95/96 summer, but after a few failures in a series he's thrown on the scrap heap while Taylor continued to average 20 for another year

If Slater had rightly played the 1997 Ashes he'd probably have one of the best Ashes records of them all. It was so good that he scored like 5 tons in his first 8-9 tests back in the side around 1998/1999, a huge middle finger to the selectors. Most people don't grab their second chance that well. Pity he never got the third....

Man that bloke should have definitely got to play and play and play til the mid 2000s and then retire on his own accord. I'll never forgive Justin Langer for taking his spot

Last edited:

GRAB

First Class Debutant
How did dodgy Oz selections get brought up without anyone mentioning Bryce McGain?

stephen

Bryce McGain had very good shield numbers at the time and he was literally picked ahead of completely garbage spinners. It wasn't a terrible decision to pick him.

fredfertang

I am hoping for great things of James Vince this series, but I fear this may not prove to be the last time his name crops up in threads like this