• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Test-only players ODI Draft

Agent TBY

International Captain
Although I thought about throwing a curveball and picking a modern, unproven opener, I'll take Hanif Mohammad, a man more known for playing long, safe innings than explosive ones, but I figure that 1) I need an anchor for the attacking bats in my lineup to build their innings around, and 2) as the guy some consider to be the creator of the reverse sweep, he'd adapt and innovate his game for the shorter format anyway.

That leaves me with:

Odd Jobs XI

1. Herbie Taylor
2. Hanif Mohammad
3. Clem Hill
4. KS Duleepsinhji
5. Clyde Walcott (+)
6. Aubrey Faulkner (5)
7. Warwick Armstrong (c) (6)
8. George Hirst (3)
9. Maurice Tate (2)
10. Erapalli Prasanna (4)
11. Neil Adcock (1)

Last edited:

J_C

U19 Captain
Barry Richards
Budhi Kunderan +
Peter May (c)
Martin Donnelly
Bob Cowper / 6
Charles Macartney / 5
Salim Durani / 7
Hugh Tayfield / 4
Wes Hall / 1
Ken Higgs / 3
Tom Richardson / 2

watson

Banned
01. Eddie Barlow
02. Tom Graveney
03. Ted Dexter *
04. Denis Compton
05. Eddie Paynter
06. Keith Miller
07. John R. Reid
08. Jim Parks +
09. Peter Pollock
10. Charlie Griffith
11. Ernie Toshack

Going for the left-arm medium paced spin of 'The Black Prince' to complete a 7 bowler attack - Ernie Toshack

Toshack preferred to bowl over the wicket, even when he bowled finger-spin; he bowled with a packed leg-trap, and could move the new ball either way. He stuck to an off-stump line, and often used two short-legs and a silly mid-on, and often added a leg-slip to the lot when things seemed to be going his way.

When Toshack found the slightest assistance — especially on a ‘sticky’ — he reduced his pace substantially and resorted to slow medium-pace and left-arm spin. It was under such conditions that he thrived, bowling in-swing, out-swing, off-cutters, leg-cutters, and finger-spin with the canniest of variation of pace, all with the same action, and landed the ball on the same spot.

Toshack’s inextinguishable stamina allowed Lindwall and Miller to bowl long spells. On normal wickets he was very difficult to score off; on ‘stickies’ he was unplayable. Don Bradman wrote of Toshack: “I cannot remember another of the same type. He [Toshack] worried and got out the best bats, was amazingly accurate and must have turned in fine figures had not his cartilage given way.”

Ernie Toshack: ?The Black Prince? who holds the record for the cheapest five-for in Test history - Latest Cricket News, Articles & Videos at CricketCountry.com

Here is some good footage of Toshack bowling to Compton and Hammond in 1947 (?). Just forward to the 9 minute mark if interested;

http://streaming.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00093000/00093085.mp4.m3u8

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Polly Umrigar

Great batsman, very useful bowler with over 300 FC wickets, and described often as a brilliant and versatile fielder.

Vijay Merchant
Colin Milburn
Victor Trumper
Polly Umrigar (6)
Maurice Leyland
Les Ames (wk)
Gilbert Jessop (5)
Bapu Nadkarni (4)
Amar Singh (2)
Frank Tyson (1)
Jim Laker (3)

Zinzan

To complete my side, I'm taking Sanjay's father, Vijay Manjrekar as my keeper. Kept at FC level and in 1 test in which he averaged 80. Fine attacking batsman, who averaging 39 in tests & 49 at FC level.

Wally's Wizards

1. Sid Barnes
2. Bert Sutcliffe
3. Sir Everton Weekes
4. Ken Barrington
5. Wally Hammond (capt) (6)
6. Vijay Manjrekar +
7. Vinoo Mankad (4)
8. Trevor Bailey (3)
9. Hedley Verity (5)
10. George Lohmann (2)
11. Fred Trueman (1)

OverratedSanity

I honestly hadn't read much about Polly Umrigar. He sounds amazing, a mix of all the things needed from reading a bit now on him
He was awesome. Revered figure in India, but weirdly isn't quite as well known as he should be among the general cricket watching public.

morgieb

1. Herb Sutcliffe
2. Warren Bardsley
3. Frank Worrell (6)
4. Jack Ryder (7)
5. Basil Butcher
6. Lee Irvine
7. Monty Noble (5)
8. Charlie Turner (2)
9. Bill O'Reilly (4)
10. Brian Statham (1)
11. JJ Ferris (3)

Not really sure about my side. Felt like I tried to go for good Test cricketers and didn't give due care to how they would go at ODI's.

watson

Banned
1. Herb Sutcliffe
2. Warren Bardsley
3. Frank Worrell (6)
4. Jack Ryder (7)
5. Basil Butcher
6. Lee Irvine
7. Monty Noble (5)
8. Charlie Turner (2)
9. Bill O'Reilly (4)
10. Brian Statham (1)
11. JJ Ferris (3)

Not really sure about my side. Felt like I tried to go for good Test cricketers and didn't give due care to how they would go at ODI's.
Bardsley, Worrell, Butcher, Irvine, and the 5 frontline bowlers would have no problem adapting to 50 over cricket IMO. Although Turner and Ferris are more likely to get tonked than the more conservative Noble, O'Reilly, and Statham. Bit unclear sure about Sutcliffe and Ryder though.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Red Hill XI

Arthur Morris
Bruce Mitchell
Frank Woolley
Norm O'Neill
SF Jackson *
Nip Pellew
George Giffen
Godfrey Evans +
Alan Davidson
Hugh Trumble
Harold Larwood

Bowlers: Larwood - Davidson - Giffen - Trumble - Woolley - Jackson - Mitchell

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Nip Pellew died in Adelaide on May 9, 1981, aged 87. The last survivor but one of Warwick Armstrong's great Australian side of 1921, which was perhaps the first to set the winning of the Tests above all other considerations, he stood out from the rest as having more the traditional approach of the English amateur. Flaxen-haired and seldom wearing a cap, he was an attacking batsman, a matter of some importance when Tests in England were confined to three days. He was a fine straight-driver and a great exponent of the off-drive played slightly late to send the ball between cover and third-man: he was also a competent player off his legs and a splendid runner between the wickets. But though he made two hundreds in the 1920-21 series and for his career in Sheffield Shield cricket had an average of 39.50, it is as an outfield that he is chiefly remembered. Credited with being able to run the 100 yards in 10.2 seconds and to throw a cricket ball over 100 yards, he might well, after sprinting 40 yards round the boundary save not one run but two or three, so swiftly did he get rid of the ball. In any discussion of the world's greatest outfields, he must be a candidate for a place.

kingkallis

International Coach
Gerry Alexander to keep wicket for my team. The attacking Wicket-keeper to play at No.8.

CricZo XI

1. WG Grace / o (6)
2. Alan Melville /
3. Archie Jackson /
4. Dudley Nourse /
5. Colin Bland / o (7)
6. Trevor Goddard / o (4)
7. Mike Procter o / (2)
8. Gerry Alexander + /
9. Gubby Allen o / (3)
10. Johnny Wardle o (5)
11. Fred Spofforth o (1)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wanted bill bowes but bedser at 7 doesnt seem right, especially with Tallon's weak average. gubby allen would have gone well with my team's theme but he went a while ago so um, looks like mccabe is our 5th bowler. dunno how i feel about this

im gonna choose a third opener, Jack Fingleton and keep Brown in the middle order where he can rescue a collapse. Fingleton had a superb tour of SA where he hit 4 tons in 4 innings and scored them all quick iirc

This moves Tallon back to the typical spot of number 7

Bradman's Buddies (all played with or against Bradman, in ashes series)

Hutton
Fingleton
McCabe (3)
Brown
Jardine*
Hassett
Tallon +
Bedser (1)
Voce (2)
Grimmett (4)
Ironmonger (5)