• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Test-only players ODI Draft

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Ken Farnes to complete my bowling attack.

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Archie Maclaren
03. Graeme Pollock
04. Vijay Hazare [6]
05. Neil Harvey
06. John Waite+
07. Baron Constantine [5]
08. Wilfred Rhodes [4]
09. Jack Cowie [1]
10. Ted McDonald [2]
11. Ken Farnes [3]

Thoughts?

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Ken Farnes to complete my bowling attack.

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Archie Maclaren
03. Graeme Pollock
04. Vijay Hazare [6]
05. Neil Harvey
06. Baron Constantine [5]
07. Wilfred Rhodes [4]
08. John Waite+
09. Jack Cowie [1]
10. Ted McDonald [2]
11. Ken Farnes [3]

Thoughts?
IMO
6. Waite
7. Constantine
8. Rhodes

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
IMO
6. Waite
7. Constantine
8. Rhodes
Yeah I toyed with those three and order a few times, what you say makes sense. Constantine's fierce hitting would be nice to have at 7 and him and Rhodes can come up with a match saving partnership at the end of the game, probably similar to Klusener-Boucher at the likes.

What do you think of moving Harvey to 5? I think he'd be a great ODI player in any middle order spot, just moved him a position lower so that the innings can revolve around him once the top order is gone. Like someone pointed out, a Bevan-esque presence though a lot more stylish and attacking.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Great choice, I didn't think of him at all. Would've been an ideal ODI player
Thanks RH, I'd been looking mostly at earlier batsmen and then thought of the great Aussie aggressive sides of the twenties, but those guys were mostly gone. Then I was thinking that surely the Invincibles would all be gone. But I'm very happy Loxton was left over.

Schearzie XI
1. Denis Lindsay+\
2. Bill Ponsford\
3. Johnny Tyldesley\
4. Stewie Dempster\
5. Bob Barber \•
6. Sam Loxton \•
7. Jack Gregory •\
8. Ray Lindwall •\
9. Fazal Mahmood*•
10. Mohammad Nissar •
11. Subhash Gupte •

Last edited:

watson

Banned
01. Eddie Barlow (6)
02. Tom Graveney
03. Ted Dexter * (7)
04. Denis Compton
05. Eddie Paynter
06. Keith Miller (2)
07. John R. Reid (4)
08. Jim Parks +
09. Peter Pollock (1)
10. Charlie Griffith (3)
11. Ernie Toshack (5)

BATTING
Barlow, Dexter and Compton to be the aggressors during the first half of the innings with Graveney and Paynter to work the gaps and anchor the innings. Miller and Reid to continue the assault with Parks to take the team home if necessary. All batsman have the technique and temperment to switch to more defensive or attacking roles as the situation demands.

BOWLING
Pollock and Miller to open the bowling with Pollock to use up most of his 10 overs. Griffith, Reid, Barlow, and Toshack to bowl during the middle period of the innings. Dexter to help out if needed. Miller and Griffith to return and bowl out the final 10 overs or so. Griffith to take on a Joel Garner like role with his legendary yorkers to the opposing tail.

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
I'll wait till tomorrow for those who want to add stuff like team names/write ups/other stuff and then start the poll.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
since everyone else is doing it...

Bradman's Buddies

Hutton
Fingleton
McCabe (3)
Brown
Jardine*
Hassett
Tallon +
Bedser (1)
Voce (2)
Grimmett (4)
Ironmonger (5)

Either Hutton or Fingleton to play sheet anchor. If one gets out early, send in Brown to act as a backup opener, if not McCabe. One of these three openers should be able to usually accumulate a big score. McCabe can come in with a good platform to blast 232 or whatever he does. Jardine to play a Steve Waugh like role and Hassett to play like Bevan. Tallon can swing it hard like Moin Khan, except a better keeper. The rest are bad.

But for bowling, the four tailenders were all super economic and in the case of IronMonger, Grimmett and Bedser, amazing wickettakers. Biggest weak spot McCabe bowling 10 overs but hey he opened the bowling sometimes so he couldn't be terrible right?

Last edited: