• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Test-only players ODI Draft

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Yeah there are a few who missed out just. Maybe I could have set the cutoff a bit higher, like single digit ODIs, but then the point of the whole draft was to work on hypothesis, not evidence and some having played a few would have made things less interesting. Another one I was gutted to see miss out was Rohan Kanhai. He could have easily been a part of this draft, he just continued playing late into his thirties and was 40 years old while putting on the vital partnership in the final of the first ODI WC. Would have loved to have him open for my team!

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Round 8

Agent TBY - KS Duleepsinhji
mr_mister - Don Tallon
Morgieb - Jack Ryder
Zinzan - Bert Sutcliffe
OverratedSanity - Colin Milburn
watson - Eddie Paynter
schearzie
Pothas
AldoRaine18
J_C
kingkallis
Red Hill

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Mohammad Nissar

He bowled the first ball for India in Test cricket, at a pace that shook the world, making them sit up in their plush Long Room and take notice. Within the first few minutes on that day at Lord’s, Mohammad Nissar had Herbert Sutcliffe playing on to a scorching in-swinging yorker, and soon after sent the off-stump of Percy Holmes in a spectacular cartwheel with one that came back viciously. England’s score read 11 for 2. Just 10 days ago, the Yorkshire openers had added 555 against Sussex...

More than half his international wickets were either bowled or leg before wicket, a testimony to the sheer pace at which he came at batsmen.

Mohammad Nissar Latest News, Photos, Biography, Stats, Batting averages, bowling averages, test & one day records, videos and wallpapers at CricketCountry.com

The Battlers Prince

Scheep Herd
2. Bill Ponsford
3. Johnny Tyldesley
4. Stewie Dempster
6. Denis Lindsay+
7. Jack Gregory
8. Ray Lindwall
10. Fazal Mahmood
11. Mohammad Nissar

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Not the first time I've looked at your posted line up and wondered who the hell is Scheep Herd. :D

And, that is a fearsome bowling unit.

The Battlers Prince

I don't know either mate, Scheep or Sheep so Herd was in my one day so it came out.
As to the bowlers thanks, I'm pretty happy bowling wise, so far I'm on track for defending most average totals if needed

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Conrad Hunte
Thought about him long and hard, at the end he had to play responsibly to accommodate his aggressive partners, but still class pick without a doubt.

I'll take Wilfred Rhodes. Insanely accurate and a nightmare to get runs off, and a handy lower order bat to boot.

01. Jack Hobbs
03. Graeme Pollock
04. Vijay Hazare
05. Neil Harvey
06. Baron Constantine
07. Wilfred Rhodes
08. Jack Cowie
10. Ted McDonald

The Battlers Prince

Hunte is a very good batsman, seems a bit like Barrington in that both played the 'sensible' knocks but had it in them to be more aggressive at times. Classy player

The Battlers Prince

Thought about him long and hard, at the end he had to play responsibly to accommodate his aggressive partners, but still class pick without a doubt.

I'll take Wilfred Rhodes. Insanely accurate and a nightmare to get runs off, and a handy lower order bat to boot.

01. Jack Hobbs
03. Graeme Pollock
04. Vijay Hazare
05. Neil Harvey
06. Baron Constantine
07. Wilfred Rhodes
08. Jack Cowie
10. Ted McDonald
One of the best opening bat partnerships ever Rhodes and Hobbs

J_C

U19 Captain
054820.jpg

Budhi Kunderan.

I told them how brutally he smashed the ball square of the wicket with little or no footwork, how he played the falling hook-and-sweep in the best Rohan Kanhai style, how with his rippling muscles and sledgehammer blows he looked every inch a West Indian cricketer. (That Test was also made memorable by Vijay Manjrekar's flawless 108 after he came to know that he was probably playing his last Test match. And Madras had been lucky for Kunderan, who had hammered 71 opening the innings for the first time, against Richie Benaud's Australians at the same venue four years earlier).
Remembering Budhi the dasher

kingkallis

International Coach
Round 1

J_C - Barry Richards
watson - Keith Miller
kingkallis - Mike Procter
AldoRaine18 - Graeme Pollock
Zinzan - Wally Hammond
Morgieb - Bill O'Reilly
mr_mister - Stan McCabe
Red Hill - Harold Larwood
schearzie - Ray Lindwall
Pothas - S.F. Barnes
Agent TBY - Sir Clyde Walcott
OverratedSanity - Victor Trumper

Round 2

OverratedSanity - Gilbert Jessop
Agent TBY - Aubrey Faulkner
Pothas - George Headley
schearzie - Jack Gregory
Red Hill - Alan Davidson
mr_mister - Clarie Grimmett
Morgieb - Frank Worrell
Zinzan - Fred Trueman
AldoRaine18 - Neil Harvey
kingkallis - WG Grace
watson - Ted Dexter
J_C - Charles Macartney

Round 3

mr_mister - Len Hutton
Pothas - Richie Benaud
Zinzan - Everton Weekes
J_C - Wes Hall
Red Hill - Frank Woolley
AldoRaine18 - Jack Hobbs
watson - Denis Compton
Morgieb - Monty Noble
schearzie- Bill Ponsford
OverratedSanity- Les Ames
kingkallis- Dudley Nourse
Agent TBY- Clem Hill

Round 4

Agent TBY- Maurice Tate
kingkallis- Trevor Goddard
OverratedSanity- Jim Laker
schearzie- Denis Lindsay
Morgieb- Brian Statham
watson- Peter Pollock
AldoRaine18- Learie Constantine
Red Hill - Arthur Morris
J_C - Peter May
Zinzan - Hedley Verity
Pothas - KS Ranjitsinhji
mr_mister - Alec Bedser

Round 5

J_C - Hugh Tayfield
schearzie - Fazal Mahmood
Morgieb - Herb Sutcliffe
Red Hill - Norm O'Neill
kingkallis - Archie Jackson
watson - John R. Reid
OverratedSanity - Frank Tyson
AldoRaine18 - Jack Cowie
Pothas - Bill Johnston
Agent TBY - Warwick Armstrong
mr_mister - Lindsay Hassett
Zinzan - George Lohmann

Round 6

Zinzan - Ken Barrington
mr_mister - Douglas Jardine
Agent TBY - Neil Adcock
Pothas - Patsy Hendren
AldoRaine18 - Vijay Hazare
OverratedSanity - Maurice Leyland
watson - Eddie Barlow
kingkallis - Fred Spofforth
Red Hill - Stanley Jackson
Morgieb - Charlie Turner
schearzie - Stewie Dempster
J_C - Martin Donnelly

Round 7

Red Hill - Hugh Trumble
kingkallis - Colin Bland
J_C - Tom Richardson
AldoRaine18 - Ted McDonald
Pothas - Jock Cameron
schearzie - Johnny Tyldesley
watson - Charlie Griffith
OverratedSanity - Vijay Merchant
Zinzan - Sid Barnes
Morgieb - Lee Irvine
mr_mister - Bill Voce
Agent TBY - Herbie Taylor

Round 8

Agent TBY - KS Duleepsinhji
mr_mister - Don Tallon
Morgieb - Jack Ryder
Zinzan - Bert Sutcliffe
OverratedSanity - Colin Milburn
watson - Eddie Paynter
schearzie - Mohammad Nisar
Pothas - Conrad Hunte
AldoRaine18 - Wilfred Rhodes
J_C - Budhi Kunderan
kingkallis - Alan Melville
Red Hill

Round 9

J_C
schearzie
Zinzan
mr_mister
kingkallis
Agent TBY
AldoRaine18
OverratedSanity
Red Hill
Morgieb
watson
Pothas

Round 10

Pothas
watson
Morgieb
Red Hill
OverratedSanity
AldoRaine18
Agent TBY
kingkallis
mr_mister
Zinzan
schearzie
J_C

Round 11

Pothas
Agent TBY
J_C
watson
OverratedSanity
Zinzan
Morgieb
Red Hill
kingkallis
mr_mister
schearzie
AldoRaine18

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
My dad was looking at the list and asked what I was doing? So I told him about this draft and he said - the first name which comes to my mind is Alan Melville of South Africa. Dad read about him when he was in South Africa in 90s. So I checked his Profile on Cricinfo and it looks amazing.

Alan Melville was arguably the most elegant batsman of his generation. Those who were lucky enough to see it still remember after 50 years his innings of 114 in two and a half hours for Sussex against the West Indians at Hove in 1933. It was the summer after the body-line tour and the fast bowlers, Griffith and Martindale, assailed him with vicious bouncers. They might have been serving up by request something to amuse him and the spectators. They were mercilessly hooked and, if they pitched the ball up, they were driven. Even granted the placid Hove wicket, it was a remarkable display. Years afterwards, meeting him at Lord's at a time when short-pitched fast bowling was being constantly discussed, I asked him if he had ever ducked to it. He smiled sweetly and said, I don't think so. I think either I hit them or they hit me! From what I saw of him I doubt if he was ever hit by anything that rose high enough to be hooked.

Standing six feet two inches and slightly built, he was a wonderful timer of the ball; his methods were a model for the young cricketer and reduced every risk to a minimum. The drive, the hook and the cut all seemed to come equally easily to him and he was, besides, a good player off his legs. Moreover he was a fine field anywhere and in his younger days a serviceable change bowler, first with leg-breaks and later with off-breaks and swingers.

So yeah, I have decided to shift Jackson to No.3 and open with Alan Melville.

CricZo XI

1. WG Grace / o (6)
2. Alan Melville /
3. Archie Jackson /
4. Dudley Nourse /
5. Colin Bland / o (7)
6. Trevor Goddard / o (3)
7. Mike Procter o / (2)
11. Fred Spofforth o (1)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Red Hill XI