• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sol Bar: New Zealand Cricket Randomness

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...ial-gareth-hopkins-isn-t-terrible-thread.html

Yeah, love him. Mainly because everyone hates him. Was never much of a List A player and really, I know Auckland is a road but since he moved there he's averaged 59 from 20 games there. If he can't hold a bat in tests we need to go grow some ****ing grass on Colin Maiden Park.
Yeah unsuprisingly I'm in. Made a few posts defending his batting lately. Dunno about his keeping yet but he'll go okay in Tests with the bat.
Expect him to average 20.01-100 this series and score well over 100 runs.
Fair enough. I don't really know much about his keeping. I think he's a much better batsman than a lot of people acknowledge though; I reckon he'll average around 30.
Geez, he's not a good looking human being though.
He's a much better First Class cricketer than Guptill at present if you take the whole package - his batting and keeping. He's actually performed a lot better than Guptill with the bat so far in their respective careers but I think it's easy to see Guptill has more potential with the bat.
"He's a much better First Class cricketer than Guptill at present if you take the whole package"
Ahh golden quotes.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When reading the stats regarding Jimmy Anderson's innings for England today, I noticed that Geoff Allott still holds the record for longest duck in test cricket.

Geoff bloody Allott.

How he ever got 10 tests (one third of his first class match tally) I will never know.

Funnily enough, he batted at 11 in all tests except one. The guy that took #11 that day - Mr DL Vettori (who, I hasten to add, outscored him).

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
When reading the stats regarding Jimmy Anderson's innings for England today, I noticed that Geoff Allott still holds the record for longest duck in test cricket.

Geoff bloody Allott.

How he ever got 10 tests (one third of his first class match tally) I will never know.

Funnily enough, he batted at 11 in all tests except one. The guy that took #11 that day - Mr DL Vettori (who, I hasten to add, outscored him).
You don't think he was up to it? Injuries aside, the guy could flat out bowl - as evidenced at the 99 World Cup (albeit with the demon Dukes).

HeathDavisSpeed

You don't think he was up to it? Injuries aside, the guy could flat out bowl - as evidenced at the 99 World Cup (albeit with the demon Dukes).
He wasn't a Test match bowler IMO. He didn't have a great first class record for a seamer at the time, though he was clearly capable of much more success in one dayers. Hard to really be 100% sure as he suffered from more than his fair share of injuries, but I remember being quite frustrated at the time that he got so many opportunities in Tests despite never delivering.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He wasn't a Test match bowler IMO. He didn't have a great first class record for a seamer at the time, though he was clearly capable of much more success in one dayers. Hard to really be 100% sure as he suffered from more than his fair share of injuries, but I remember being quite frustrated at the time that he got so many opportunities in Tests despite never delivering.
Fair call. Jimmy Anderson got a similar run in Tests early on despite being dynamite with the white ball and crap with the red. Very different comparison, but I can see why selectors persist with a guy who shows signs in one form that they feel might be transferable.

HeathDavisSpeed

Fair call. Jimmy Anderson got a similar run in Tests early on despite being dynamite with the white ball and crap with the red. Very different comparison, but I can see why selectors persist with a guy who shows signs in one form that they feel might be transferable.
I think it's fair to say he was seen as a guy with a lot of potential, given his performances in one dayers. I think he was another of that long line of Kiwi fast bowlers who suffered major back issues - he must have retired pretty young in the end.

HeathDavisSpeed

Are there many spiders in NZ?
There's the soft drink called a spider.

Or the Katipo is the only native spider that can kill you. Not that it has killed anyone for ages, I understand.

I think you'd like the Cook Strait Giant Weta. Lovely wee beasties.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Still annoyed I missed the Sol bar that Saturday. Drank Tui all day until well deep into the day when I bumped into heath and he told me about the Sol bar open,

BeeGee

International Captain

Geoff bloody Allott.

I was sitting in the stand for that glorious duck.

The answer to Allotts test selection is... look at who the alternatives were. Guys like Robert Kennedy or Kerry Walmsley. Nuff said.

Last edited:

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain

Geoff bloody Allott.

Lol I saw him around not long ago. He hasn't gotten any skinnier from that charity match he played in a few years ago.

HeathDavisSpeed

Obviously put on too good a buffet at NZC.

Probably very high fat content in their buffets and the cholesterol has gone straight to David White's brain. Which is why he makes zero sense in general.

BeeGee

International Captain
Bit of agro in the stands at the mo, so I thought I'd wander in here. Could murder a beer.

HeathDavisSpeed

Agro in the stands? ND up to mischief. [/kippaxing]

I thought we could do a run down of Worst NZ Cricketers Post 1980.

Send me votes in a 10 to 1 format (with 10 being the worst, 1 being the least bad) and I'll collate the data (heathdavisspeed at yahoo dot co dot nz)

BeeGee

International Captain
Agro in the stands? ND up to mischief. [/kippaxing]

I thought we could do a run down of Worst NZ Cricketers Post 1980.

Send me votes in a 10 to 1 format (with 10 being the worst, 1 being the least bad) and I'll collate the data (heathdavisspeed at yahoo dot co dot nz)
Blimey, there are plenty to choose from.

Is this all cricket or just tests? And is Heath Davis in play or off limits? :ph34r: