• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The race to sign Whatmore!

Who will get Whatmore?

• India

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • neither will

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

♪♪♪

Cricket Spectator
Yes Kapil was a dismal failure because he was not a COACH, his appointment was wrong based on his reputation not on his coaching qualifications/credentials. And I like it when Gavaskar refuses Indian coaching job. Gavaskar is not a qualified coach and hence we shouldn't be expecting him to take up such a position. And I take serious objection to it when people like yourself criticize him for doing it and also for that he takes up commentary job. Gavsakar does not have an obligation to coach Indian cricket but he and KapilDev have earned their right to have a say in Indian Cricket.
You can take all the serious objections you want, doesn't mean Gavaskar and Kapil become know it all Gods. Kapil had a dismal rtecord as coach, and a person who allowed himself to be hired as coach on the basis of reputation as a player has no business rating other coaches. And the less said about Gavaskar, the better. I question his thought processes and commitment to the game when a committee headed by him comes up with ridiculous suggestions to make the One day game more batsman friendly.

Whatmore has been an International coach for a while, so was Ford, Gavaskar is involved with Cricket media and has much better understanding to their abilities/inabilities than you or I.
As proved by the unanimous selection of Chappell as coach by a committee he was very much a part of ?

May be those international countries have enough home grown coaches, that's why they dont need Indian coaches, the fact is I dont know. I also dont know if those coaching positions are advertised, I also dont know If Venkatesh Prasad/Robin Singh etc are looking for coaching positions outside of India. So to claim that they are not good enough just because they are not hired in International circuit and that's why they are crap is just ridiculous.
Sorry, putting forward these excuses is whats ridiculous. Prasad didn't do a certified coaching course in England to work as coach in just India. As long as there isn't a valid reason why these guys do not land jobs overseas with proper teams they must not be hailed as the solution to all our problems. I don't even have a problem with Prasad and Robin anyway, they are more likely to be attuned with modern coaching techniques than many of the older ex-players hoping to land the job purely because they're Indian. Any proposition requires some leeway, and Prasad and Robin have earned the right to credibility, I have a lot of respect for them as coaches, but not for the rhetorically vocal group of ex-players who are now nursing bruised egos on seeing foreigners usurping 'their' jobs.

How many International teams had hired Wright/Chappel before they were hired by India ? Or are you saying that you are willing to accept the Wright's/Chappel's coaching credentials at Kent/South Astralia but wont accept Binny coaching stint with world cup winning U-19 team, India Juniors and NCA ? Or that Robin Singh's coaching experience in India means crap but if goes on to coach a crappy county in English Cricket, he suddenly will become a highly talented coach ?
As said, the problem is not with Qualified Coaches like Prasad and Robin, the problem is with wannabes like Madan Lal, Kapil, Gavaskar (whose name was suggested by Kapil), Bishen Singh Bedi etc. At the same time, if it is felt that Ford might be a better choice than Prasad/Robin, one shouldn't hesitate in hiring him, and should stay away from all this jingoism.

That's what I have been saying albiet in support of Indian coaches. Pick the best coach regardless of his origin. Regionalistic bias is going to stay because Zonal system is still there and a coach cant do much. Having a foreign coach is no recipe for success as was proved by Chappel's two years in India.
To put the boot on the other foot, neither is having an Indian coach a recipe for success. What matters is the quality of the coach, not his citizenship. Sadly, Kapil paaji needs to realise that. Just because one advocates the name of Graham Ford doesn't mean it is a slight to all the Indian ex-players.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
I want to see every single senior player made to do laps around the ground while carrying a goat over their head or something ludicrous like that. Ranatunga just might do that.
Be carried over their heads?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't know much about this Ford character, anyone have any ideas?
Always seemed a bit of a nonenity, to myself. Took over SA after Woolmer left, the team won just about everything (other than the series' against Australia) during his tenure... then there was WC2003. And like Pollock he paid the price for that.

But he never seemed to be the sort to court publicity, so it's hard to know exactly what he's at as a coach.

pasag

RTDAS
Has there been any official reason why Whatmore wasn't appointed? Seems very peculiar to me with all factors from both parties indicating he would almost certainly be hired to coach India.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Has there been any official reason why Whatmore wasn't appointed? Seems very peculiar to me with all factors from both parties indicating he would almost certainly be hired to coach India.
i would like to know that as well actually...something must have happened TBH...otherwise, there was no reason for them not to choose Whatmore. I mean, they are even putting the middlesex director b4 him now....something must have happened!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
♪♪♪;1217149 said:
You can take all the serious objections you want, doesn't mean Gavaskar and Kapil become know it all Gods. Kapil had a dismal rtecord as coach, and a person who allowed himself to be hired as coach on the basis of reputation as a player has no business rating other coaches. And the less said about Gavaskar, the better. I question his thought processes and commitment to the game when a committee headed by him comes up with ridiculous suggestions to make the One day game more batsman friendly.
And when did they claim that know it all ? Aren't they allowed to convey their opinion and have a say in Indian Cricket ? And why cant he rate coaches ? If he and other like him arent going to rate coaches then who will, you and I ? or the likes of Niranjan Shah and JY LELE. Please I would rather have Kapil and Gavaskar's opinion than LELE/Modi/Shah's.

And you can question Gavaskar's commitment all you want but the man has a right to have his opinion and he says it.

As proved by the unanimous selection of Chappell as coach by a committee he was very much a part of ?
Doesn't it prove that he is not really against foreign coaches, as you are trying to convey here.

Sorry, putting forward these excuses is whats ridiculous. Prasad didn't do a certified coaching course in England to work as coach in just India. As long as there isn't a valid reason why these guys do not land jobs overseas with proper teams they must not be hailed as the solution to all our problems. I don't even have a problem with Prasad and Robin anyway, they are more likely to be attuned with modern coaching techniques than many of the older ex-players hoping to land the job purely because they're Indian. Any proposition requires some leeway, and Prasad and Robin have earned the right to credibility, I have a lot of respect for them as coaches, but not for the rhetorically vocal group of ex-players who are now nursing bruised egos on seeing foreigners usurping 'their' jobs.
How is saying 'I dont know' an excuse ? You are making all the assumptions about Robin/Prasad's qualification, How do you know why Prasad/Robin did their coaching course in England and that they have secret aspirations to coach in England ? Why do they need to have a coaching experience in England/Australia to be qualified as a good coach ? Why doesn't an coaching expereince with Bengal or Tamilnadu count ? And If you didn't have problem with Prasad/Robin, then why question their credibility and say that dont have experience with PROPER TEAMs ? What is a proper team, Isn't team India a proper team, Isn't U-19 a proper team ? Or are you suggesting that only Kent, Lancashire etc are proper teams ? And No one is saying that they are solutions to our problem, they are not, neither are foreign coaches, so why not even consider them on the basis of their nationality ?

As said, the problem is not with Qualified Coaches like Prasad and Robin, the problem is with wannabes like Madan Lal, Kapil, Gavaskar (whose name was suggested by Kapil), Bishen Singh Bedi etc. At the same time, if it is felt that Ford might be a better choice than Prasad/Robin, one shouldn't hesitate in hiring him, and should stay away from all this jingoism.
But I am talking about coaches like Prasad and Robin and so are these guys. And can you please tell me what kind of 'Wannabes' MadanLal, Kapil Gavaskar, Bedi etc are(I really didn't understand the context and the accusation) ? All they are saying is that If we have home grown coaches why not appoint them rather than import coaches from outside, who have not been proven as a great success anyway. It is not Jingoism, it is conveying their opinion in favor of home grown coaches.

Ford might be a better choice, on the basis of what ? Considering that he has not coached for last few years, Last time he coached an International team he was sacked in the middle of his tenure, I have no reason to think that he is a better choice than Robin.

To put the boot on the other foot, neither is having an Indian coach a recipe for success. What matters is the quality of the coach, not his citizenship. Sadly, Kapil paaji needs to realise that. Just because one advocates the name of Graham Ford doesn't mean it is a slight to all the Indian ex-players.
OfCourse, but then dont disqualify them in the name of regionalism CRAP. Robin wasn't even born in India, neither does he have that kind of personality, he grew up in WI, I see no reason to why he would be partial to any particular player.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And now we have John Emburey being considered for coach..but you know what we cant consider Robin Singh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
From what I hear of Emburey, I'd rather have Robin Singh.
Emburey as India coach would be the most absurd, out-of-the-blue coaching appointment in international cricket history.

And you know what? That'd probably mean it worked a treat. :)

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Emburey has certainly popped out of nowhere. In fact, just today during the break they had between the Afro-Asian Women's Twenty20 and Men's Twenty20, there was a game from a couple of decades back that featured Emburey.

I'm not sure about his credentials as coach but I think a low-profile coach may actually be a blessing in disguise for India. On that note, Whatmore had been built up to be quite high-profile, and he also seemed overly desperate for the job. I would like to know what caused the committee to discard him, though.

R_D

International Debutant
i would like to know that as well actually...something must have happened TBH...otherwise, there was no reason for them not to choose Whatmore. I mean, they are even putting the middlesex director b4 him now....something must have happened!
Gavaskar

Dissector

International Debutant
I would have liked Whatmore but Ford seems like an OK option. I don't think someone like Prasad or Singh would be a bad option either. But John Emburey? That's crazy talk. He hasn't coached at the international level and he hasn't succeeded at the county level either. There is nothing to suggest that he is qualified to coach India.

Anyway even the BCCI isn't crazy enough to appoint Emburey so it looks like it's going to be Ford.