• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Please fire Gary Stead and Gavin Larsen" thread

Howsie

International Captain
Calling on all New Zealand fans, we need to band together and push for these two incompetent morons to be fired. Plenty of journalists from around New Zealand read this forum (dead serious I know of two who use CW) so lets get this ball rolling. Yes this World Cup isn't going badly but us true New Zealand fans know we don't have a ****show in hell of winning this thing. Stead is a yes man, nothing more nothing less. He'll never make a big call he's a complete cat. We have literally got to a World Cup missing one opening batsman and a keeper. Yes he hasn't been here for that whole four year cycle but he had more then enough time to sort something else out.

I've made my thoughts on Gavin Larsen pretty obvious the last 18 months but he really should go back to making pizza (and I say making pizza because running an actual pizza business where he failed just isn't an option).

Watch as we continue to have more Luke Ronchi's, Colin Munro's, Tim Southee's and now Tom Latham's stink up the joint for years but continue to make New Zealand squads (ODI's in this case for those players) without actually having to perform because these two sacks have no balls and are happy to ride on the coattails of some of our ATG crickters.

Thank you for your time, lets get these guys out the door.

Howsie

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ha, a good ol Howsie thread. Let's hope it's as accurate as the Virat Kohli one :p.

There's a core of truth in Stead being reluctant to rock the boat and some sub-optimal selections (though a few potential players also didn't help themselves) - let's see how this tournament pans out before getting the pitchforks out though.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Still open-minded about Stead, but Larsen needs to go preferably yesterday.

I for one applaud the thread.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't believe it's knee-jerk on Larsen. Howsie's been very critical of him for a long time.

All I'll say in regards to journalists is there's no chance they're going after especially Larsen and also Stead. Larsen, it's just not a big scalp. The public either don't at all know he's in the role at all or they don't care. So what's the point in going after him? No kudos. No reaction. And Stead has been in the job for far too little time. Any journo going after him would look knee-jerky as Dan said.

Having said that, I don't think any NZ fan expects Stead to be of any level of serviceability to our national side. He was simply the only candidate at the time. He is also lucky that unlike Andy Moles or Mark Greatbatch, Stead operates in an environment with individuals not given to mutiny. Unlike Vettori, Mills, McCullums, Oram, half the bloody lot around 2010.

The Hutt Rec

I don't believe it's knee-jerk on Larsen. Howsie's been very critical of him for a long time.

All I'll say in regards to journalists is there's no chance they're going after especially Larsen and also Stead. Larsen, it's just not a big scalp. The public either don't at all know he's in the role at all or they don't care. So what's the point in going after him? No kudos. No reaction. And Stead has been in the job for far too little time. Any journo going after him would look knee-jerky as Dan said.

Having said that, I don't think any NZ fan expects Stead to be of any level of serviceability to our national side. He was simply the only candidate at the time. He is also lucky that unlike Andy Moles or Mark Greatbatch, Stead operates in an environment with individuals not given to mutiny. Unlike Vettori, Mills, McCullums, Oram, half the bloody lot around 2010.
Stead would have been gone six months ago if he was coach of the 80s bunch ...

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Stead on Colin Munro:

...his explosive hitting in the Powerplay has given New Zealand rapid starts in the past.

"There's no doubt that if he does do that then he can change the game really quickly," said Stead. "So again that's part of our thinking and our hope that can be the case. You saw against Sri Lanka what Colin and Martin can do if they get in...

...Stead said the openers weren't trying to be overly aggressive rather than set up a solid base.

"We are trying to do that we are trying to get a base," said Stead. "But sometimes you get good balls or you're a little bit out of form and those things happen in cricket.

"Colin hasn't got off to lightning starts in any of the games, he's just trying to play good cricket shots and that's just all our guys try and do all the time."
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...-openers-colin-munro-martin-guptill-australia

So what exactly do you want, Gary - lightning starts that quickly change games, or setting solid bases?

The Hutt Rec

He does sound really clueless and just happy to be there with the little overachieving Kiwis in most interviews, tbh.

Shane Bond would still be my number one fantasy choice for the role.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
NZC is probably is the least scrutinised sporting organisation in the country. There is little public interest in these matters.
Very true. And the journalists are not interested in doing so either. It's a comfortable bubble where they don't report too much, and can exist moving around the country watching games, providing game by game analysis, the odd breaking report of squads and having beers at the end of it all.

The Hutt Rec

Haha, didn't he start six months ago? You think he would've walked after his first series? Unlikely given we beat Pakistan away in a Test series...
I just doubt any coach could last more than five minutes with the internal conflicts that seemed to happen in the team in those days lol.

The Hutt Rec

I was thinking ... ask yourself this: the year is 2015 and Larsen is our selector, Stead our coach. Would Trent Boult have played at the World Cup?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
They've done a lot of bad things re selection, but the return of Neesham and the faith placed in De Grandhomme were definite selection masterstrokes - as was persevering with Nicholls in test cricket.

However they needed to have sorted out openers and death bowlers a lot more.

The Hutt Rec

I feel like Neesham’s return was a pretty obvious one, dominated the Ford Trophy and then took his chances in NZ A and back in the ODI side. And with Anderson’s injury woes as well.

They did well to persevere with Nicholls, but that was more Hesson.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
I feel like Neesham’s return was a pretty obvious one, dominated the Ford Trophy and then took his chances in NZ A and back in the ODI side. And with Anderson’s injury woes as well.

They did well to persevere with Nicholls, but that was more Hesson.
Yep, and to be brutally honest Anderson and Neesham's misfortunes had quite a bit to do with de Grandhomme's emergence.

Flem274*

123/5
the trouble with this is who do you replace him with? fleming doesn't want the job, neither does bond (who would be the best - everything he says comes from the mindset of a winner who also knows how to cricket) because they have young families and vettori has a terrible coaching record and was one of the mutineers in chief of the bad old days.

there are worse things than having stead say "yes kane, i will kane" to the current leadership group who know how to win test matches against proper teams. unless someone outstanding is on offer, a coach who exists and won't get in the way is fine.

larsen however, yes. and david white too. david white most of all.