• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Not Out Signal

howardj

International Coach
With the advent of the referral system, I've become somewhat disturbed that, after a batsman has been given not out by the 3rd umpire, the on-field umps use a kind of 'not out' signal, which just happens to be the exact same signal as a dead ball. I've watched a bit of this series with two other folk who have a decent knowledge of cricket and they said - 'does he have to bowl it again because it's a dead ball'.

I suggest that umps come up with a new signal for 'not out'. Maybe the finger and arm pointing down instead of up!

Seriously though, it's farcical that they use the same signal as a dead ball.

Evermind

International Debutant
Two possibilities:

1) A nelson hop in tribute to david shepherd.

2) The upmire, instead of pointing a finger into the air, sticks it into his nostril.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Since when is it the same as the dead ball signal?

Dead ball

Doesn't the umpire cross his arms across his chest with his hands ending up on the shoulders?
:huh:

dro87

U19 12th Man
yes he first does the mea culpa with his arms across his chest with his hands ending up on the shoulders then does the dead ball signal.

I new way could be introduced- just to hel the spectators.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hang on - putting the arms across your chest is the signal for an umpire reversing his decision, not 'not out.' TBH, I was under the impression that if the umpire gets a referral that confirms his not out decision, he just simply says not out and goes back to his mark, and doesn't make an actual signal. The umpire only puts his arms across his chest if the decision from the third umpire calls for a reversal of a decision. At least, that's what I thought.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Hang on - putting the arms across your chest is the signal for an umpire reversing his decision, not 'not out.'
Yeah, my bad. I thought it was about the reversal, not the not out. :(

Didn't know they signalled a deadball for not out.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If the decision is not out then he would have to signal dead-ball otherwise the ball could still be considered in play.

If it is refered then he cant signal deadball in advance as that would make it automatically not-out, so he has to wait until the not-out is given and then call the ball dead.

Cant have people running and the umpire has to call a halt for some reason (either out or deadball)

howardj

International Coach
Hang on - putting the arms across your chest is the signal for an umpire reversing his decision, not 'not out.' TBH, I was under the impression that if the umpire gets a referral that confirms his not out decision, he just simply says not out and goes back to his mark, and doesn't make an actual signal. The umpire only puts his arms across his chest if the decision from the third umpire calls for a reversal of a decision. At least, that's what I thought.
That's correct.

Anyway, this issue warrants urgent action from the ICC.

It's thrown the umpiring fraternity, and cricket at large, into a state of confusion.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Two possibilities:

1) A nelson hop in tribute to david shepherd.

2) The upmire, instead of pointing a finger into the air, sticks it into his nostril.
How about sticking them in both his years as gesture to say "The appeal doesn't impress me and stop it will you?"

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If that appears too radical, maybe he should first signal a ......

Thumbs down

and if the appealing persists give the bowler an .....​

Up Yours​

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What about holding this sign up to the bowler?

Or this one?

or, if it's a really dud referral an was obviously not out:

Last edited: