• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The most nondescript cricketers

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gavin Robertson
Nathan Hauritz

Most finger spinners, in fact. And when they aren’t, they have to try oh so hard to prove it. Terrible species.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig Matthews. Actually was a very good reliable bowler, somewhat underrated I think, but was never going to stand out next to blokes like Allan Donald, Fanie de Villiers and Brett Schultz

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Extremely underrated. You could throw Richard Snell in with the underrated 90's Saffer bowlers as well imo.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
New Imran Khan. Non-descript is the perfect word for someone you'd barely notice bowling fill-in right arm medium pace without any notable characteristics between spells by Amir, Yasir, Hasan Ali etc.

Then suddenly he's selected to lead the attack backed only by a couple of teenagers, so you're forced for the first time to pay attention and only then does the mediocrity really swings into focus.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
After watching one of his innocuous ODI innings back in the day, a friend of mine & I came up with the nickname "Dot-ball Denly" for Joe. Probably unwarranted, if anything.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
If he wants a career with any sort of longevity, bowling left arm seam in India perhaps wasn't the brightest choice

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Extremely underrated. You could throw Richard Snell in with the underrated 90's Saffer bowlers as well imo.
Snell wasn't nondescript as such, largely because he had a pretty distinctive bowling action. Definitely underrated though. Meyrick Pringle another good Saffer quick from the era, especially in one day stuff.

Genuinely sad I have never seen footage of Tertius Bosch bowling. Not as sad as the man's own life and death though, a horrific story that one

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Paul Wiseman.

So much the archetypal "mediocre offie who can bat slightly" it was like he barely registered.