• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

King Pietersen

International Captain
Honda Housey does it again. She is a ****ing beast. Blitz Miesha again, then smash Guyborg, then who? Wouldn't surprise me if she retired after that.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
too arrogant. after she didnt touch gloves at the start i thought welllll if karma exists youre going down here

voila

duffer

Yeah, nothing more satisfying than watching a hype train crash. Especially when they completely buy into their own hype.

social

That was a complete mismatch

As soon as Rousey realized what she was in with she panicked and looked a total novice

King Pietersen

International Captain
That was a complete mismatch

As soon as Rousey realized what she was in with she panicked and looked a total novice
When it comes to stand-up she is a total novice. She's the female Brock Lesnar. Hugely marketable, immense ground game, dominant takedowns, but never taken to striking and doesn't like getting hit. Was bound to get found out eventually when someone worked out how to defend the bull-rush Judo. Wasn't expecting it to happen so soon though!

social

When it comes to stand-up she is a total novice. She's the female Brock Lesnar. Hugely marketable, immense ground game, dominant takedowns, but never taken to striking and doesn't like getting hit. Was bound to get found out eventually when someone worked out how to defend the bull-rush Judo. Wasn't expecting it to happen so soon though!
Holm is arguably an ATG female boxer and a horrible matchup for Rousey - rushing straight in with arm(s) extended is an invitation to get countered all night by any boxer with a pulse and that's exactly what happened

I might be being unfair on Rousey as that's the only time I have seen her fight but she looked amateur hour and nothing more than a complete hype job

They'll probably be able to sell the rematch but unless they completely change her strategy and improve her glaring deficiencies, Rousey will get badly beaten again n.b. this was no lucky strike but a complete beat-down with an exclamation point at the end

Last edited:

ezravine

Cricket Spectator
It is obvious that she got frustrated, by not taking a chance on Holm
A little too aggressive too without defense, too bad..
But still a good fight, and surely looking forward for a rematch

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Holm is arguably an ATG female boxer and a horrible matchup for Rousey - rushing straight in with arm(s) extended is an invitation to get countered all night by any boxer with a pulse and that's exactly what happened

I might be being unfair on Rousey as that's the only time I have seen her fight but she looked amateur hour and nothing more than a complete hype job

They'll probably be able to sell the rematch but unless they completely change her strategy and improve her glaring deficiencies, Rousey will get badly beaten again n.b. this was no lucky strike but a complete beat-down with an exclamation point at the end
The difficulty for Ronda is that the opponents she's faced previously had no idea when it came to movement, none of them could evade Rousey or had any idea about angles. This allowed Rousey to bull-rush, and then her opponents were so worried about getting slammed on their head and submitted that they failed to take advantage of Rousey's glaring holes in her striking. It is very much like Brock Lesnar's UFC career, but unfortunately for Brock, he ran in to Cain much earlier in his career. Ronda will get a re-match, but she needs a complete change her strategy if she's going to beat Holm. Trying to kickbox someone as good as Holm will only end badly for her.

social

The difficulty for Ronda is that the opponents she's faced previously had no idea when it came to movement, none of them could evade Rousey or had any idea about angles. This allowed Rousey to bull-rush, and then her opponents were so worried about getting slammed on their head and submitted that they failed to take advantage of Rousey's glaring holes in her striking. It is very much like Brock Lesnar's UFC career, but unfortunately for Brock, he ran in to Cain much earlier in his career. Ronda will get a re-match, but she needs a complete change her strategy if she's going to beat Holm. Trying to kickbox someone as good as Holm will only end badly for her.
From what I saw, she needs time out to rebuild but I seriously doubt that her "employer" will allow her a tune up before facing Holm again as they are unlikely to risk a massive PPV audience for the rematch (contractual relationship is a major difference between UFC and boxing)

IMO, UFC will roll the dice on her and hope for 1.5 million PPV buys from the rematch

Chances are that she gets flattened again whilst UFC laughs all the way to the bank

What's more, she should thank her lucky stars that Braekhus ignored her challenge of a boxing match - that would be seriously ugly

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Can't wait for 194. Just praying that Conor backs up his words and puts a beating on Aldo. Be pretty gutting if Ronda and Conor both lose in back-to-back PPV's.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really like sporting narcissists because they make everything so much more interesting, but the most fun part is always when they get smashed. Especially in MMA. Such a brutal way for your over-inflated ego to come up against reality.

indiaholic

International Captain
Don't think it was Ronda's bull rushing that did her in. It was Holm's ability to get out of the clinch. There were at least two instances where Holm was precariously close to getting into an armbar. To her credit, she was good enough to get out of them. Holm always had the striking game but it is almost impossible for an out and out striker to avoid the clinch and how she did in the clinch was the deciding factor.

social

Don't think it was Ronda's bull rushing that did her in. It was Holm's ability to get out of the clinch. There were at least two instances where Holm was precariously close to getting into an armbar. To her credit, she was good enough to get out of them. Holm always had the striking game but it is almost impossible for an out and out striker to avoid the clinch and how she did in the clinch was the deciding factor.
Bit of both IMO

Rousey was completely knackered by the time she got close enough to clinch as a result of being countered on the way in and didn't much strength left to take down a strong opponent

However, Holm was also good enough to extricate herself from dangerous positions when it came to the close stuff

Anyway, I'm a boxing fan not MMA

I've watched a few MMA bouts (e.g. GSP - great, Silva - hack) and had no idea who Rousey was until this promotion and was surprised to see that she was such a massive favourite as Holms can fight

To me, this was a classic example of what Tyson said: "Everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth."

From what I saw, Rousey is a hype job who simply had her butt handed to her by a far more skilled professional

Last edited: