• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Kolpak Rule in force.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Leicestershire have signed Claude Henderson under the Kolpak rule - Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

My view of it is that it isn't necessarily bad.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Right.. Having digested that it looks like we could have Eastern Province B and one english guy in your typical county...

Is that good for English cricket???
Except Eastern Province B are all rubbish... we'll lose the rubbish in the CC system and the CC will be stronger, and the youth players who come through will be tougher.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Also, the way I've read it, such players have to renounce their rights to be a "home" player in their home country...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a shame that there isn't a reciprocal arrangement with Australia. I had someone desperate to recruit me on a contract in Australia for a complex computer project - but I fell foul of their disgraceful ageist rules (I'm over 45).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Interesting how people so far seem infavour of this, but in the main are against the 2 overseas players, and the EU players...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
It's a shame that there isn't a reciprocal arrangement with Australia. I had someone desperate to recruit me on a contract in Australia for a complex computer project - but I fell foul of their disgraceful ageist rules (I'm over 45).
Are you sure it wasn't the lack of criminal convictions that meant you missed out? ;) :lol:

Craig

World Traveller
This bit intriques me:

Originally posted by the bbc
former Zimbabwe captain Andy Flower carries a British one after qualifying through residency.
How long is British residency?

I disagree with this law.

This comment about getting our rubbish players in County Cricket, but shouldnt that be the responsibilty of the Counties not to pick rubbish players or search through their County to find a player half decent.

If anything that doesnt say much for your Grassroots System?

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
I had no idea that it was still compulsory.
That rules me out from ever going to the UK :D :lol: :P :lol: :saint: :wow:

Maybe the Republic of Ireland will do me as apprantly my surname is Irish :D .

Well I better downing the Gunieness :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
I fear a player Exodus from SA Domestic cricket.. just like we have seen in Zimbabwe... I dont think this is good for anyone really...

Whats the point for an 18 year old to continue with his cricket?? When theres a 32 year old SA batsman who averages 30 playing every match??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Whats the point for an 18 year old to continue with his cricket?? When theres a 32 year old SA batsman who averages 30 playing every match??
If he's not going to average 30, one could argue that he's not good enough anyway!

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
If he's not going to average 30, one could argue that he's not good enough anyway!

I think we are looking at things from a different perspective...

Having a goodish SA batsman playing in the CC is obviously better for the CC..... But does absolutely nothing for the national side...

Having a mediocre qualified Englishman playing (who could improve just like Trescothick did) *could* be better for the national side... Even if there is a risk that this youngster will turn into a journeyman...

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Can someone explain to me this then.

the ECB (or whoever runs the county comp) obviousbly wanted a maximum of 2 overseas players per country right??

under EU or English law you can't dissallow an organization from singing somebody because of their nationality??

So Leicestershire have signed 3 overseas players??

But the ECB doesn't neccesarilly have to allow him onto their cricket fields?? They are running a competition and they are the ultimate deciders of who is a registered participant in the competition. Can't they simply just refuse to allow him to be registered. They are not stopping Henderson from signing with Leicestershire and training and working with them, they are simmply stopping him from going onto their cricket fields for competition matches - i can't see how the club can say the ECB is preventing him from applying his trade than????

I don't know if i explained it well, but i think i got the gist of what i'm trying to say across.

PY

International Coach
I understand and it is a very good question, it's the same with the local football leagues here.

If you aren't registered then you can't play. And the people running it have small-print saying that they reserve the right to refuse registration and therefore the player cannot play.

Sounds simple but I'm sure there is something to screw things up. :(

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
PY said:
I understand and it is a very good question, it's the same with the local football leagues here.

If you aren't registered then you can't play. And the people running it have small-print saying that they reserve the right to refuse registration and therefore the player cannot play.

Sounds simple but I'm sure there is something to screw things up. :(
Mainly the fact that Henderson can sue the ECB in that case, because they are not allowing him to work, as it is restraint of trade under the EU legislation. And, if he goes high enough and is persistent enough, he will win, as shown in that case with Kolpak quoted higher up in the thread.