• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ICC Will Ruin 20-20 for Everyone

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also there is already a Hong Kong cricket 6s or something like that. 6 players, each bar the wicket-keeper bowl 1 over, retire when you score 30, unretire when the other 5 players are out and you also have to get EVERY batsmen out to bowl a team out, not just 5 of them.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
India don't like the idea.

"The reason is simple. This form of the cricket is not played in our part of the world. We don't need this version of the game because one-day cricket is already very popular. Nowadays one-day cricket is being played so much that countries struggle to strike the right balance. And they want to add this Twenty20 to its schedule because some countries are playing it. What I mean to say is that if any country starts Twentyfive25, will ICC hold a Twentyfive25 world championship."

One of the all time great quotes?
Classic. :)

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I agree o365, Its a novelty and we all no what happens when the novelty gets used to much - it wears off and people lose interest.

Scaly piscine

Langeveldt said:
Down to the Ashes success no doubt..
I seem to recall there was something like an 11% increase on average attendance in the second season of Twenty20 in England (compared to the first season), despite the weather being worse. This was of course before the Ashes.

Here's the hapless argument put forward by the BCCI being slammed:

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/238230.html

Edit:

Looks like 8.8% increase for average attendance outside of finals using the figures here:

http://www.ecb.co.uk/domestic/twenty20-cup/fans-flock-to-matches,1579,EN.html

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
I seem to recall there was something like an 11% increase on average attendance in the second season of Twenty20 in England (compared to the first season), despite the weather being worse. This was of course before the Ashes.
But I thought the whole Idea was to get people interested in the other forms of cricket? So why is the increase in Twenty20 crowds relevent?

It's acid test for me will be in seeing if anyone turns up on a dreary day against the Kiwis.. then we'll see if we have any more "cricket" fans..

Scaly piscine

Langeveldt said:
But I thought the whole Idea was to get people interested in the other forms of cricket? So why is the increase in Twenty20 crowds relevent?

It's acid test for me will be in seeing if anyone turns up on a dreary day against the Kiwis.. then we'll see if we have any more "cricket" fans..
The increase in Twenty20 crowds was relevant to an argument earlier.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Neil_Pickup said:
India don't like the idea.

"The reason is simple. This form of the cricket is not played in our part of the world. We don't need this version of the game because one-day cricket is already very popular. Nowadays one-day cricket is being played so much that countries struggle to strike the right balance. And they want to add this Twenty20 to its schedule because some countries are playing it. What I mean to say is that if any country starts Twentyfive25, will ICC hold a Twentyfive25 world championship."

One of the all time great quotes?
No actually...it was a quote by one Niranjan Shah,someone from BCCI....its just that BCCI wants to rule and play by its own rules just because it is richer than even ICC...(and it just got 10 times richer a few days back)...

Why is everybody so opposed to 20/20....It is an exciting format,and it SHOULD have a World Cup...My say is that play enough matches,and THEN if everyone starts feeling bored and feeling it is all stereotypical...then maybe you could form an opinion to scrap it

As for the BCCI and its stupid quotes...you'd do well not listening to dumb,greedy and selfish politicians.

open365

International Vice-Captain
20-20 and the ashes will not breed cricket fans,just as Rhona martin didn't create curling fans.

Normal county matches will not get an increase in supporters. 40 over matches will not get a significant increase in supporters. The 20-20 novelty factor hasn't worn off yet,but it will do,and crowds wil go back to being average.

What will we acheive with a 20-20 world cup? Not a lot,and that's all that should matter.

open365

International Vice-Captain
nikhil1772 said:
Why is everybody so opposed to 20/20....It is an exciting format,and it SHOULD have a World Cup...My say is that play enough matches,and THEN if everyone starts feeling bored and feeling it is all stereotypical...then maybe you could form an opinion to scrap it
That's never ever going to happen,look at ODI cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
nikhil1772 said:
Why is everybody so opposed to 20/20....
1) They aren't.. I'm the only person I know who doesnt like Twenty20, and the other is Richard

2) I don't find it interesting in the slightest.. Okay watching a guy trying to slug ball after ball is fun for a bit, and it draws the crowds which is good for cricket.. but give me a day on the grass bank watching a proper game of cricket any day. Cricket is about perseverance, determination, grace and grat rivalries between bat and ball that last for hours.. I love baseball as well, but please don't try and mix the two..

3) I think it is a threat to test match and ODI cricket.. There are only 365 days in the year, and it would be great if Twenty20 can find it's niche.. But money talks, and for those of us that like watching test cricket its a big worry to see the scheduling, and plans for this Twenty20 world championship..

4) I think the only type of fan it brings to cricket games are those that think other formats of the game are boring.. I highly doubt they will support test match cricket, especially if their team aren't succesful.. Time will tell for that one I guess, but in South Africa, test crowds arent increasing at all..

My two cents..

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
1) They aren't.. I'm the only person I know who doesnt like Twenty20, and the other is Richard

2) I don't find it interesting in the slightest.. Okay watching a guy trying to slug ball after ball is fun for a bit, and it draws the crowds which is good for cricket.. but give me a day on the grass bank watching a proper game of cricket any day. Cricket is about perseverance, determination, grace and grat rivalries between bat and ball that last for hours.. I love baseball as well, but please don't try and mix the two..

3) I think it is a threat to test match and ODI cricket.. There are only 365 days in the year, and it would be great if Twenty20 can find it's niche.. But money talks, and for those of us that like watching test cricket its a big worry to see the scheduling, and plans for this Twenty20 world championship..

4) I think the only type of fan it brings to cricket games are those that think other formats of the game are boring.. I highly doubt they will support test match cricket, especially if their team aren't succesful.. Time will tell for that one I guess, but in South Africa, test crowds arent increasing at all..

My two cents..
1)No comments

2) Agreed.but nobody is asking anybody to do away with Tests and ODIs.Actually Tests are always intersting if they were not like the recent Ind-Pak series.And I'd prefer some 20/20's played instead of 'stereotypical' 7 match or 5-match one day series or the extra-long VB series...

3)As I commented above,20/20's should take place of some ODI's.

4) Threat to Test Cricket is not the way I look at it...because they have their own place and anyway Test Cricket is never going to be huge crowd-puller,only the ones genuinely interested watch Tests....Also it will be good for Cricket that more countries will get involved with 20/20

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't say I have much more time for TdL than I usually do...
He seems to have missed the vital point that a few have actually spotted, that in Twenty20 small is beautiful... play the thing too much at international level and you'll damage it's potential at domestic.
Still... I suppose for ICC damaging the prospects of English cricket is no bad thing...
He also seems to have missed the point that in no way does international cricket need Twenty20 - Test crowds (and TV viewing figures) in most countries and ODI crowds (and TV viewing figures) in all countries are more than adaquete as it is.
Mind, I suppose a World Championship is the only way ICC can use the thing to get money for themselves... otherwise it all just goes to the National Boards... and obviously that's why ICC want the thing.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
20/Twenty would be great as a "Second World Cup" with Associate members competeing, not to mention more Under 19 competitions and domestic cricket, as well as "Series/Tour Openers" for the test playing nations.

If too many ODI's are a problem, perhaps a stock standard set of matches can be introduced for tours, Which would go something like: 3 20/Twenty's, 3 ODI's, 3 Tests. Excluding, of course, The Ashes or any other nations that get the luxury of more than 3 tests :P