• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ICC Will Ruin 20-20 for Everyone

open365

International Vice-Captain
Is anyone else ****ed of with the way cricketing authorities are managing 20-20 cricket?

It's becoming over-played,20-20 needs to be a special occasion,it needs to be origanal,there are more 20-20 internationals being played by the minute and with talk of a 20-20 world cup,where will it end?

I have a feeling that soon it'll be just another money making oppurtunity for the ICC to fill their coffers and we'll be seeing the VB 20 over series.

Does anyone else feel like the the powers that be are going to ruin 20-20 cricket?

danish

U19 12th Man
I think the ICC should have a Twenty20 world cup and leave it at that. IMO there shouldn't be one-off 20-20 matches at the beginning of tours. However, I think there should be domestic Twenty20 competitions, as proved in England, they are very good for attracting crowds to stadiums.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think the 20-20 games are good as abit of a fun hit out at the start of tours, but i do think that they should be kept that way, not having everyone take them super seriously and have world cups etc.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Domestic and beginning of tours. But i can see why the ICC would be interested in making more twenty20's. The 2020 in australia got 2.5 million viewers between SA and AUS

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
20/20 world cup invloving only the top 8 countries
the 20/20s domestic competition was awesome in NZ so it would be more awesome in AUS and ENG
plus 1 in every tour for pure coolness

danish

U19 12th Man
Twenty20's primary purpose was to make money. The entertainment factor was just a pleasant side-effect. I doubt the BCCI would have any qualms about hosting a Twenty20 Champions Trophy.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
33/3from3.3 said:
20/20 world cup invloving only the top 8 countries
Why? Lower ranked countries would have much more of a chance of winning Twenty20's

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
Why? Lower ranked countries would have much more of a chance of winning Twenty20's
Lower ranked countries would be boring against higher ranked countries. If they lose a few wickets in the opening overs its all umm over

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GoT_SpIn said:
Lower ranked countries would be boring against higher ranked countries. If they lose a few wickets in the opening overs its all umm over
It wouldn't be anywhere near as boring as 50 over games involving a low ranked team and a top team. Low ranked teams can match top teams for short periods - which is enough for them to have a chance of pulling something off in a Twenty20 game.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
It wouldn't be anywhere near as boring as 50 over games involving a low ranked team and a top team. Low ranked teams can match top teams for short periods - which is enough for them to have a chance of pulling something off in a Twenty20 game.
But a twenty20 game can be preety much decided after a few overs in the second innings

Langeveldt

Soutie
Wait until it starts eating into the test calender, then the little game of slog won't be so attractive to the genuine cricket fans who have lapped Twenty20 up recently..

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I think 20 20 will ruin itself TBH. Something SP Fleming said this week was that it if you were playing it day in, day out, it would get very montonous, which I agree with.

ie. slog, slog, slog, slog, wicket, nice shot, bang, slog etc

The actual beauty of the game (such as the swings and roundabouts, little battles within the battles you saw in the Ashes last year, or pretty much any competitive test series) will remain in test cricket and to a lesser extent ODI. 20 20 is just a hit and giggle with, at the moment, quite a novelty value.

If people were getting bored with ODI format (that they tinkered with and made it worse IMO), can you imagine how fast 20 20 will become a three hour waste of time?

Saying that, I can see the value of it at the moment. You always thought about batsmens' mentalities near the end of the innings in ODI's when they weren't having a go and getting as many runs as possible. You can see that happening now. More.

Truekiwijoker

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
open365 said:
It's becoming over-played,20-20 needs to be a special occasion,it needs to be origanal,
In my opinion...

Any game of 20/Twenty is the game being over-played.

The only special 20/Twenty occasion is when the ICC burn the written proposal that resulted in its creation and ceremoniously flush its ashes down the lavatory.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not a fan of 20/20 at all. As said, I don't mind it as a novelty to kick off a tour, but anything more is overkill, and a world cup would be ridiculous.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't mind seeing 20/20 go in the same direction as rugby sevens...with a series of competitions with an entirely different group of players taking part.