• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greats

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Great is an over used term. Very commonly used while in reality it should be used as preciously as possible.

This thread functions like this.

Any player, inning, series or any thing to do with cricket can be proposed to be great. A person has to second that proposition and another has to third the same. That will entail a voting for that to be included into the list of greats. If it recieves 75% votes or more during the voting period it is included in the list. If it does not achieve the required votes, it can come up for voting again after a month.

Two people are autumatically included in the club without voting - a testament to their greatness.

D.G.Bradman
G.Sobers

Any thing related to cricket or any one you would like to propose to be included in the list of greats?

Last edited:

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
The Ashes... (as far as any cricketing series go)

My reasons for it being great is that it captivates two nations and is definately the greatest cricketing challenge involving the most history of any series

archie mac

International Coach
I read a book once about Fred Trueman, the author also said the word 'great' was over used, and that he would not use the word until the end of the book. Well by the end of the book I was so bored I can't remember if he used it or not :D

But yes I agree and would like to nominate Lara and Tendulkar :)

Dasa

BC Lara and SR Tendulkar.

edit: Archie got there before me.

Murali and Warne.
McGrath.

I don't think there are any others among current players...at least none else I would rank as great (which as many have said, is much overused).

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slats4ever said:
The Ashes... (as far as any cricketing series go)

My reasons for it being great is that it captivates two nations and is definately the greatest cricketing challenge involving the most history of any series
Seconded

Slats4ever

to be honest i think using the word "great" for players like tendulkar, ponting, mcgrath and warne to an extent continues the over use. All in my opinion are "very good players" but to be honest I don't think they will be cherished and remembered in as many years to come as say a Bradman and a Sobers.

The only players who may well be will be Murali and Warne.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
I second SR Tendulkar, BC Lara, SK Warne, GD McGrath, M Muralitharan, The Ashes, and Imran Khan.

I'd also like to third RT Ponting's nomination for greatness.

Can I nominate Adam Gilchrist?

Slats4ever

therefore I vote against Tendulkar, McGrath and Ponting becoming great..

Have no vote for Lara and Imran Khan as I'm not sure

But vote for Muralitharan and Warne

archie mac

International Coach
Dasa said:
BC Lara and SR Tendulkar.

edit: Archie got there before me.

Murali and Warne.
McGrath.

I don't think there are any others among current players...at least none else I would rank as great (which as many have said, is much overused).
Does that mean you are going to seconded it Dasa?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I don't agree with Ponting.
In my opinion, I'd say Lara, Tendulkar, Murali, Warne and McGrath from this era, with Gilchrist unlucky to miss out.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Slats4ever said:
to be honest i think using the word "great" for players like tendulkar, ponting, mcgrath and warne to an extent continues the over use. All in my opinion are "very good players" but to be honest I don't think they will be cherished and remembered in as many years to come as say a Bradman and a Sobers.

The only players who may well be will be Murali and Warne.
Hmm, are you sure? Tendulkar is one of the finest batsmen ever seen, Ricky Ponting is not only a brilliant batsmen but he captained what will be known as the 2000 Invincibles, and McGrath is up there in the all time best seamers, he has got the 3rd most test wickets and he's been just amazing for Australia.

Dasa

archie mac said:
Does that mean you are going to seconded it Dasa?
AHh yes, it does.

Robertinho said:
Hmm, are you sure? Tendulkar is one of the finest batsmen ever seen, Ricky Ponting is not only a brilliant batsmen but he captained what will be known as the 2000 Invincibles, and McGrath is up there in the all time best seamers, he has got the 3rd most test wickets and he's been just amazing for Australia.
I agree with you on Tendulkar and McGrath (although Tendulkar seems to be disparaged on these forums by some people for some unknown reason), but Ponting? Looking at it from a batting point of view, you could argue that others are ahead of him and I don't think his captaincy has been 'great'. I wouldn't include a Ponting before a Dravid, for instance - although I don't think either of them count.

Another nomination from the past - SR Waugh.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Well look.. Ponting.. you could be right. I second Steve Waugh - he's definitely a great for me.

Slats4ever

hmm to be honest my opinion of great means only about 5 or 6 batsman in the history of the game and 5 or 6 bowlers. and tendulkar doesn't qualify for that. If we start giving it out to this many players great will become overused. the purpose of this thread should really be to honour the very very greatest

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
One guy seems to be missing is Wasim Akram. The guy was one of the greatest fast bowlers ever and IMO the greatest entertainer(Post 80s) after IVA Richards on a cricket field.

Sunny Gavaskar is 'Great', So is Imran Khan.