• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greats

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i hope the word great isn't going to be over-used here. I reckon a good idea would be to limit the amount of yes's people can have

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slats4ever said:
i hope the word great isn't going to be over-used here. I reckon a good idea would be to limit the amount of yes's people can have
Nah according to me. If some thing is recommended by 3 people and then 75% people think its great, I think it is tough enough.

But more perspectives are obviously welcome.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slats4ever said:
Its fine that you don't think Lara and Sachin are greats, but I don't think you should be concerned just yet. I understand what you are saying, however Lara and Sachin (along with Steve Waugh) were the best batsman of the 90s, a whole decade of cricket. I think its understandable that people place them as greats, even if you (understandably so as well) don't think they are.

You must also think that there are 2 forms of cricket which result in 'greatness', and Sachin is definitely one of the greatest ODI batsman of all time. That would obviously push favour in his direction.

If very good players but those who are clearly not great (yet anyway) such as Martyn, Kallis, Inzy etc. start to become nominated than I think its cause for concern.

Last edited:

Slats4ever

woah dude i never linked this to my own personal thoughts on who was great and who wasn't jono. no need to be so single minded!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Okay lol sorry I didn't mean it to come out like that. I was just saying that I think the term great will be relatively respected in this thread from what the posts so far anyway.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Present day greats

Lara and Tendulkar - heads and shoulders above other batsmen of their time
Murali - despite being given a free ride by authorities, arguably best spinner ever
Warne - arguably best spinner ever
McGrath - best bowler of his generation
Gilchrist - redefined keeper's role, in almost 100% of all-time X1s

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If very good players but those who are clearly not great (yet anyway) such as Martyn, Kallis, Inzy etc. start to become nominated than I think its cause for concern.
Kallis has already been nominated.

Dasa

Pedro Delgado said:
I'd like to nominate Flintoff's over to remove Langer and Ponting, as one of the greatest overs ever bowled. Doubtful it'll get many votes as many many great overs have been bowled by better bowlers, but hey, whayagonnado?
On the subject of overs, although I (obvously) didn't see it, I'd like to nominate Holding to Boycott. By all accounts, it was just sheer aggression and brilliance.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting: No
Lara: Yes
Tendulkar: Yes
Warne: Yes
Murali: Yes

Ponting's no is simply because he's still in the prime of his career. He will be a great, I think.

The other greats currently playing are Gilchrist and McGrath, for me. Nobody else currently qualifies.

Great innings/spells are Laxmans 281, Lara's 153, Waugh's consecutive knocks of 63* on a greentop and 200 on a flat wicket to lead Australia to victory against the Windies in 1995, McGrath's 5/2 at Lords, Ambrose's 7/1 at Perth, and Warne's 7/23 at Brisbane. Also, Mark Waugh's century on a fourth innings greentop against South Africa in 1997.

Another "great thing"... Australia's comebacks in major matches in 3 consecutive World Cups. The 96 and 99 semi-finals, and the match against England in 2003. Particularly though, Warne's spell in the 99 semi... probably the greatest ever ODI and one of the greatest ODI bowling spells as well.

These are just the things I have witnessed.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ponting: No
Great innings/spells are Laxmans 281, Lara's 153, Waugh's consecutive knocks of 63* on a greentop and 200 on a flat wicket to lead Australia to victory against the Windies in 1995, McGrath's 5/2 at Lords, Ambrose's 7/1 at Perth, and Warne's 7/23 at Brisbane. Also, Mark Waugh's century on a fourth innings greentop against South Africa in 1997.

Another "great thing"... Australia's comebacks in major matches in 3 consecutive World Cups. The 96 and 99 semi-finals, and the match against England in 2003. Particularly though, Warne's spell in the 99 semi... probably the greatest ever ODI and one of the greatest ODI bowling spells as well.

These are just the things I have witnessed.
I'll second Warne's spell in the '99 World Cup, and the Steve Waugh consecutive 63*'s.