• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great knocks

pasag

RTDAS
Nah, this one is the all-time great knocks. NP's is for 2000 and on.

And how could I forget Dean Jones' knock until now. Amazing stuff.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I've been scouring around on youtube and unfortunately cant find anything of Laxman's 281 :(....very little of that test at all seems to be on there which is sad, only Harbhajan's hat-trick and the final couple of Aussie wickets on day 5, anybody know where theres video of Laxmans innings or the match in general ?

iamdavid

International Debutant
Scrub that I found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8c3LghltBk

Now consider that India had been thumped in the first test, McGrath and Gillespie were at their absolute peaks and Warne had bowled very well in previous test at Mumbai. India were following on facing their first home loss to Australia in 30 odd years, Australia had won their last 16 tests, Laxman had only just been brought back into the side for previous test and has by no means assured of his place....

archie mac

International Coach
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Dean Jones 210 in the tied Test at Chennai in 86/87 is one of the best of my lifetime. And Mark Waugh's 116 to win the series in South Africa in 96-97 is an often overlooked gem.

Botham's 118 against us in the 81 series might have been his greatest innings (despite his Headingly miracle 149* getting more hype). Hammond's 240 against Australia in 1938 was by all accounts an absolute masterclass, and considered by Bradman to be up there with the McCabe (232) and Sobers (254) efforts for the best he ever saw.

And a mention to Keith Miller's 185 for the Dominions XI against England at Lord's in 1945 which still gets all who were alive to see it a little misty-eyed.

In ODIs, two of my personal favourites are Viv's 189* against England in 1984, and AB's 127* against Marshall and Garner in their prime in 1984-85.
You were going great guns until you mention the OD stuff:-O

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
That was certainly one of the best I have seen in my lifetime. Pakistan were 0/3 and then 36/6 at one point against India of all teams and on the verge of losing the series at home. Akmal, a relatively nothing batsman, produced, under such immense pressure, a knock so technically great that it reminded commentators of Gavaskar. The knock itself instilled such confidence in the rest of the team that we went on to win the match by 350+ runs. I feel that you may not think much of the knock solely because its Kamran Akmal and not some greater batsman who produced it. I certainly can't think of a dozen Pakistani knocks that were better than his. I'd agree with Xuhaib and say it was one of the top 5 tons from a Pakistani. I'll even go as far as to say it was better than anything Yousuf did that year.
Yeah well said. One of my favorite innings ever. This is not meant as a knock on Perm by the way. I think most people have not seen that innings, nor realize under what context it was played. If they had, it would surely be rated higher.

archie mac

International Coach
Ha ha - well they were an afterthought, but sometimes you have to play to the masses. ;)
:laugh:

The innings you mention of Mark Waugh was a great one that I had forgot about tbh. I watched that on tele, a great relief when healy smacked that six, with only Pidge to come:-O

haroon510

International 12th Man
i discribe an innings the great knock that is played in crisis and it saves the match or give u the victory. over the years i have been honered of watching lara playing afew innings like that..however,if i choose one innings it would have to be kamran akmal's innings in Karachi in 2006.

no one would ever thought that pakistan would win the test match when they were 0/3 and later on 36/6. that just shows how his innings were vital for his team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eh, was pretty Inzy-ish TBH. Meant was typical of you that you'd emphasise you weren't having a go at someone, whereas others had seemed not to care about doing so. :)

Some guys - you being one - just never fail to amaze me with their nice-ness. :p (And yeah, don't take too much notice of me... :drunk: )

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I apoligse if these have been mentioned, but I don't think they have:

Atherton's 185*
Waugh's 200
Dravid's innings at Adelaide
Sehwag's 254 against Pakistan
Lara's 277 against Australia