• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Great Captains

Slifer

International Captain
Listening to Taylor talk ****e on Channel 9 for years has me questioning just how good a tactician he actually was.

Waugh's team had a ruthless streak that Taylor's lacked.
Waugh generally played weaker teams. As an example, in 95 Taylor beat a WI team composed of Lara, Adams, Richardson, Amby, Walsh and the Benjamins. Still a very very good team. Waugh demolished much much weaker WI teams over his life time. Also, Waugh had generally better players to work with.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Listening to Taylor talk ****e on Channel 9 for years has me questioning just how good a tactician he actually was.

Waugh's team had a ruthless streak that Taylor's lacked.
Taylor wasn't complicated, he just knew how the game worked. It's not rocket surgery, as they say...

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Also, Warne was already sort of established, but it was as Taylor became captain that Warne/McGrath showed how great they were.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Waugh generally played weaker teams. As an example, in 95 Taylor beat a WI team composed of Lara, Adams, Richardson, Amby, Walsh and the Benjamins. Still a very very good team. Waugh demolished much much weaker WI teams over his life time. Also, Waugh had generally better players to work with.
India, New Zealand and South Africa would all have been better in Waugh's day than Taylor's.

uvelocity

International Coach
That's my point though, he's yet to demonstrate any of that whenever I've watched 9.
reckon hes about the only one on the commentary worth listening to, demonstrates a deep understanding and uncanny feel for the game on a regular basis.

taylor and clarke at the top of the pile tactically. ab unmatched in building something from virtually nothing, waugh was a leader for his time, a lesser character would not have been able to hold those greats together, driving them to the peak. ponting's captaincy i have no time for.

smash84

The Tiger King
reckon hes about the only one on the commentary worth listening to, demonstrates a deep understanding and uncanny feel for the game on a regular basis.

taylor and clarke at the top of the pile tactically. ab unmatched in building something from virtually nothing, waugh was a leader for his time, a lesser character would not have been able to hold those greats together, driving them to the peak. ponting's captaincy i have no time for.
WOAH, UV back after a long time

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Taylor is easily the most palatable of the regular C9 crew, & very much enjoyed the new boy Clarke.

TNT

Banned

Yet Ponting was able to hold all these greats together and drive them to their peaks.I don't know if you see the contradiction in your post.

OverratedSanity

Didn't Ponting once lose Australia a test when he gave more importance to the overrate and kept bowling Hauritz, instead of, you know, trying to win the match? Pretty sure it was a test in India.

Burgey

Yeah, he didn't bring Lee back on at one point because they were miles behind the over rate. Can't recall the match in question but remember the incident. He would have been suspended for the next match had they not made up the overs iirc.

TNT

Banned
Didn't Ponting once lose Australia a test when he gave more importance to the overrate and kept bowling Hauritz, instead of, you know, trying to win the match? Pretty sure it was a test in India.
That was the two biggest drawbacks of Ponting, he put the rules and spirit of the game ahead of winning and he had a win at all cost attitude. You could be sure at the end of each match someone could point to one of these flaws and discredit him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Heh, yep. Bowled Hussey too.

Still stand by that was the day Australia stopped being the great team. Sure they lost the 05 Ashes but this was when they fell from the top. I am pretty sure they then lost to SA at home after that?

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Heh, yep. Bowled Hussey too.

Still stand by that was the day Australia stopped being the great team. Sure they lost the 05 Ashes but this was when they fell from the top. I am pretty sure they then lost to SA at home after that?
Yep. SA series was a month later.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Ponting's win ratio is second to only Waugh's, but can someone who lost three Ashes series, albeit with a big 5-0 victory in the middle, really be considered a 'great captain' by an Australia public?

Bijed

International Regular
Not heard of that one (don't doubt you're right though) but what sprung to mind was the similar situation of repeatedly bowling Marcus North at Cardiff '09 resulting in a draw which ultimately meant they lost the ashes.

thecrickauth

Cricket Spectator
I feel as though Imran Khan is one of the best cricket captains of all time!

Imran Khan began his first-class cricket career at the age of 16 in 1968! He assumed the role of captain in 1982 at the age of 30. Khan officially retired from cricket in 1992. Some of Khan's most notable achievements during his captaincy are listed below.

Notable Captaincy Achievements
- Career Record One Day Internationals 77-57-1
- 1982 Led the Pakistan cricket team to victory breaking their 28 year drought of wins on English turf.
- 1983 Wisden Cricketer of the year award
- 1985 Sussex Cricket Society Player of the year award
- 1987 Led Pakistan to its first ever test series win.
- 1987 Let Pakistan to its first series victory in England.
- 1992 Led Pakistan to the 1992 Cricket World Cup title.

I am curious to hear your thoughts on his career as a captain!

Learn more about Imran Khan here!

Last edited: