• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Somewhat ignoring the 14 other tournaments Rory has won, like 4 Dubai Classics, 2 Dubai Tour Championships, a PGA at Wentworth, an Australian Open....not exactly weak fields at any of those.

No doubt he's been the best golfer over the last 15 years, but for some reason hasn't translated it into Major wins. Which is weird, coz it's not like he doesn't know how to win.
He is definitely a huge underachiever. When he won at Valhalla 10 years or so back, he was well on track for double digit major wins (could still get there I guess but not as bullish on it as I was then). That was a spectacular season for him too and no one could have predicted how his major career has stalled since...it's weird too, when most people stop winning, they stop winning, period. In this case, he's won pretty much everything else since...:wacko:

Molehill

International Captain
Crazy that it’s not that far fetched to call a 4 time major winner an under achiever but it’s pretty close

Norman definitely was with 2
He is definitely a huge underachiever. When he won at Valhalla 10 years or so back, he was well on track for double digit major wins (could still get there I guess but not as bullish on it as I was then). That was a spectacular season for him too and no one could have predicted how his major career has stalled since...it's weird too, when most people stop winning, they stop winning, period. In this case, he's won pretty much everything else since...:wacko:
Yeah, he's won 3 Fedex Cups in that time and a Players, so it's not like he hasn't been winning big ones. It could be that he puts so much on trying to win a Masters that it upsets his other Majors, Norman was probably a bit similar there.

But there's no way Koepka should have more Majors than him really, he doesn't have the same level of talent, but he does have the ability to turn opportunities into Wins when he can be bothered.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, he's won 3 Fedex Cups in that time and a Players, so it's not like he hasn't been winning big ones. It could be that he puts so much on trying to win a Masters that it upsets his other Majors, Norman was probably a bit similar there.

But there's no way Koepka should have more Majors than him really, he doesn't have the same level of talent, but he does have the ability to turn opportunities into Wins when he can be bothered.
Koepka is simply better

social

In majors yes so far. Overall, he just doesn't have the resume that Rory is.
Nobody cares about regular tour performances when rating players

That’s the equivalent of using fc records to determine the best cricketer

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Nobody cares about regular tour performances when rating players

That’s the equivalent of using fc records to determine the best cricketer
Yeah that's not an accurate analogy. Like not even close. Wins at the Players, playoff events especially the Tour Championship, other prestigious tour stops like Bay Hill, Memorial, Torrey Pines, Riviera, Quail Hollow etc absolutely count when rating players.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah, I don't think Koepka's one extra PGA really beats the rest of Rory's career. He doesn't even have an Open on his CV. The Players Championship alone probably evens up against the PGA, especially as it would have been a far stronger field (proper pro's making the entire field as opposed to 20 or so Club pro's who qualify for it eg Block).

Very sad about Rory's marriage, although he's perhaps looked more relaxed recently obviously knowing that a decision had been made.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The usual suspects doing well at Valhalla...excellent scoring conditions. Rahm seems woefully out of touch though...

social

Massive backlogs on a couple of holes make for some strange viewing

Players are waiting up to 15 minutes on one of the tees and being asked to call up groups on another tee

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Seems like a slight overreaction from the police.
Police version of the arrest
From the report: "Scheffler was stopped by an officer who attempted to give him instructions but the world No. 1 “refused to comply and accelerated forward.” The report said the officer, detective Bryan Gillis, was dragged “to the ground” and “suffered pain, swelling and abrasions to his left wrist and knee.” Gillis was taken to a local hospital for treatment."

If this is true, he may be in some trouble.

grecian

It's definitely an odd one, I mean these Sky coms are practically deifying him for playing well after this, as if he's a victim.

Hey Septic police are not people I normally side with, but I think a "wait and see" approach might be prudent, as I'm guessing there'll be videos around.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It's definitely an odd one, I mean these Sky coms are practically deifying him for playing well after this, as if he's a victim.

Hey Septic police are not people I normally side with, but I think a "wait and see" approach might be prudent, as I'm guessing there'll be videos around.
Yeah, agreed.