• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

King Pietersen

International Captain
Great to see from Day. All he needed was the confidence of a big win and now he's flying. Won't be long until he's the number 1 player in the world. Future of golf looking very bright now. Rory, Spieth, Day and Fowler should set us up for some fantastic Majors.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Most often in the majors they'll line up, but if lucky enough other games too. HIDEKI MATSUYAMA is another to watch at 22 and some good finishes in the majors (2 top tens), plus a win this year he's strong.
The women's game is strong too, Lydia obvs, but the other contenders are young as well.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Sunk my first Eagle yesterday. Holed out 2nd shot on a par 4 at Alcaidesa Heathland. Sand Wedge from 109 landed just short of the pin and bounced straight in. Chipped in for a 2 earlier in the day on the Links on a Par 3, but the hole out on the Heathland was the best shot I've ever hit on a golf course. Loved it.

ripper868

International Coach
Knocked in a hole-in-one on the Gold Coast a couple of years back. It was the water course of King Tutt's Putt Putt. Skillz.

In seriousness though I love the game, just don't watch it as much as I should. Follow casually and love hearing the stories about Day, have a vague recollection of him being on a "next great golfer" challenge show a few years back, Obviously they got it right.

SOC - have you had a hit at Victoria Park? Pretty short course that you can knock over 9 in about 1:15 after/before work.

The Battlers Prince

I love that Spieth plays all over the world as often as he can. He's not in the class that Woods was in his heyday, but he's part of what could be a great era. Two missed cuts in a row almost mean he needs a win to retake the number one. Rory and JDay fighting for it.
IMO Spieth still player of the year

King Pietersen

International Captain
It's Spieth vs Day for Player of the Year, but hard to look beyond Jordan. Top 5's in all 4 Majors, with 2 wins, plus wins at Melbourne, the Valspar and the John Deere and if he can finish the job and win the Fed Ex it's an ATG year. Day will run him close if he wins the Fed Ex, but Jordan's performances in the Majors make him very difficult to look past.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
spieth will be POY...day can win the bmw and east lake and thereby the fedex cup but 2 majors still trump that...

The Battlers Prince

2 majors is amazing for any golfer. But the way Spieth dominated the year until the last couple months was what gets him the POTY for mine. Even up to the week of the PGA he was the guy everyone was looking out for, gone to the dogs the last couple weeks though, which happened to coincide with Day finally taking that next step in his progression

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
and he gets the no: 1 ranking back while missing a 2nd straight cut...the rolex rankings are a bit of a joke...:laugh:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Fowler spectacular while in contention again. Ever since that ridiculous "over-rated" article he's been amazing. Was a really good watch last night.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good duel with Lexi Thompson and Lydia Ko coming down the back-9 in the Evian Masters. Shocking greens though.

Son Of Coco

Knocked in a hole-in-one on the Gold Coast a couple of years back. It was the water course of King Tutt's Putt Putt. Skillz.

In seriousness though I love the game, just don't watch it as much as I should. Follow casually and love hearing the stories about Day, have a vague recollection of him being on a "next great golfer" challenge show a few years back, Obviously they got it right.

SOC - have you had a hit at Victoria Park? Pretty short course that you can knock over 9 in about 1:15 after/before work.
I have been out to Vic Park for a hit before. Some decent little holes there. It's also where I bought my clubs, and my mate works in their pro shop.

Had an interesting round the weekend before last too - went out in 50, my worst 9 hole score since juniors I reckon...then came home in 33 (only 1 under, the front 9 is par 34). Didn't see myself having 83 after the first 9 holes.

The Battlers Prince

Jason Day, on the 18th with play suspended. He's had 9 birdies and an eagle, +1 bogie. If he birdies the 18th he shoots 59 WAG

Spieth aced the 5th

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

Yeah I think Day is really chasing the extra money in a few weeks. I heard he's number one if he wins this and Spieth or Rory don't come second. The ranking system is looking ridiculous at the moment

social

Yeah I think Day is really chasing the extra money in a few weeks. I heard he's number one if he wins this and Spieth or Rory don't come second. The ranking system is looking ridiculous at the moment
If Day wins, it'll be his 4th win out of 6 including a major

He will also become only the 3rd golfer in the last 20 years to have 5 wins in a PGA season

It's hard to argue that he isn't the best player in the world right now especially given Spieth's missed cuts and Rory's injury lay-off

Last edited: