• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

International Captain
$4 million to the winner

What are they playing for in invitation only, no cut events on the PGAT?

$4 million to the winner
$4m when you’ve already been paid $600m….no wonder Rahm is struggling to get fired up for this.

Great top 5 in Adelaide I see, that should keep the 8k tuned in!! 😂

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He's mates with Zach Johnson, which immediately makes him a suspect character in my eyes. However, he does have a lot of 'Rah, rah 'Murica'' about him, which would appeal to the locals in the US.

To be fair, he comes across ok in the Full Swing doco for the most part, so maybe I am being too critical...but he's American, so **** him.
What did Zach Johnson do?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He seemed like a complete flog on 'Full Swing'. Drilling his kids on his golf achievements like his ego needed the boost.
Gotcha...haven't watched that doco yet...just based on his interviews during tournaments, he came across as a nice man...

Molehill

International Captain
Turns out that the biggest issue with LIV this week is it’s turned into a Phoenix Open. Were people there for the golf or the beer? Sounds like carnage at times. Beer glasses getting thrown around when someone holed a 20 footer, at least they wait for a hole in one in Phoenix to do that.

Growing the game?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Turns out that the biggest issue with LIV this week is it’s turned into a Phoenix Open. Were people there for the golf or the beer? Sounds like carnage at times. Beer glasses getting thrown around when someone holed a 20 footer, at least they wait for a hole in one in Phoenix to do that.

Growing the game?
It's the worst part of the game these days. The shouting of 'YOU DA MAN!!' etc alongside this sort of horse****.

Although, I don't think glasses were allowed at the LIV tournament. I think it was a full bottle of water. Still, it would hurt.

Molehill

International Captain
It's the worst part of the game these days. The shouting of 'YOU DA MAN!!' etc alongside this sort of horse****.

Although, I don't think glasses were allowed at the LIV tournament. I think it was a full bottle of water. Still, it would hurt.
Only going on what I read rather than seen.

I used to like the Phoenix Open, offered something different for one event a year. But then it went too far the other way, stopped being drunk people enjoying golf and became just about the drunk people.

Good to see Rory win on the PGA Tour (his 25th). If Lowry could putt then the pair of them would've won easily. When the pressure was on, McIlroy's game was the one which stood up whilst pretty much everybody else fell apart.

An interesting weekend for 2 Aussies on the LPG Tour. Grace Kim led by 5 heading into Day 3, then fell apart over the weekend to lose by 11 to Hannah Green who went the other way and won by 3.

social

Phoenix has no restrictions on numbers so no surprise that it got completely out of control this year

PGAT downgraded its status but more people turned up than ever & it’s been one of their few successes this year :laugh:

Molehill

International Captain
Phoenix has no restrictions on numbers so no surprise that it got completely out of control this year

PGAT downgraded its status but more people turned up than ever & it’s been one of their few successes this year :laugh:
Looks like quite the party in New Orleans after the Irish win too, who knew Rory could do Karaoke? For a 'low key' event, it certainly had big numbers in, and pretty much guaranteed to get Rory back next year too.

social

Looks like quite the party in New Orleans after the Irish win too, who knew Rory could do Karaoke? For a 'low key' event, it certainly had big numbers in, and pretty much guaranteed to get Rory back next year too.
All the LIV guys say they miss Riviera for the course and Phoenix for the party

The Race to Dubai final is a big party as well

PGAT hasn’t listened to fans or players for years

Molehill

International Captain
All the LIV guys say they miss Riviera for the course and Phoenix for the party

The Race to Dubai final is a big party as well

PGAT hasn’t listened to fans or players for years
Not sure what you're trying to say here - it's not like Riv and Phoenix aren't still there.

Who won LIV by the way? I'm hearing rumours of a contrived team play off and Saffas getting lots of stick from the crowd.

social

Not sure what you're trying to say here - it's not like Riv and Phoenix aren't still there.

Who won LIV by the way? I'm hearing rumours of a contrived team play off and Saffas getting lots of stick from the crowd.
Steele won individual & Rippers (basically an Australian team) won team

Nothing contrived about it as Saffers played some great golf down the stretch to make playoff

Playoff was like a rugby crowd with plenty of Saffers in attendance & some ordinary behaviour

Phoenix is obviously still on the schedule but not an elevated event in spite of it being the biggest tournament of the year with 700k attending

Molehill

International Captain
Phoenix is obviously still on the schedule but not an elevated event in spite of it being the biggest tournament of the year with 700k attending
The crowd are going to turn up no matter who is playing, it doesn't need elevation. Many of the top guys weren't so keen on going, it clearly divides opinion, even more so after the antics this year. I don't think they could ever make it a compulsory sign up.

social

Watched a bit of LIV today (it’s on fta here again) & watching the PGAT now

The difference in broadcast quality is massive with CBS (or whichever is the host for the PGAT event) barely even trying

Our local Australian events with 5% of the purse have better production

Molehill

International Captain
Watched a bit of LIV today (it’s on fta here again) & watching the PGAT now

The difference in broadcast quality is massive with CBS (or whichever is the host for the PGAT event) barely even trying

Our local Australian events with 5% of the purse have better production
Not sure what you want. I have PGA Tour on now (Golf Channel) with it's essentially Featured Groups coverage. It's a fairly light touch before the main coverage starts later but you see a lot of shots.

What is it for that makes LIV so much better, because whenever I've seen it, the obscene graphics, the amateurish commentary (Arlo White knows nothing about golf), the background noise etc etc make it almost unwatchable. If that's a quality product for you I'm not sure what it is you like about it.

PGA is poor, I agree, but LIV is like a cheap and nasty version of it.

PS Have you seen that LIV interviewer wish Koepka Happy Birthday?? He really hates LIV now, you can see it in his eyes. I honestly think he might be the first to head back.

social

Not sure what you want. I have PGA Tour on now (Golf Channel) with it's essentially Featured Groups coverage. It's a fairly light touch before the main coverage starts later but you see a lot of shots.

What is it for that makes LIV so much better, because whenever I've seen it, the obscene graphics, the amateurish commentary (Arlo White knows nothing about golf), the background noise etc etc make it almost unwatchable. If that's a quality product for you I'm not sure what it is you like about it.

PGA is poor, I agree, but LIV is like a cheap and nasty version of it.

PS Have you seen that LIV interviewer wish Koepka Happy Birthday?? He really hates LIV now, you can see it in his eyes. I honestly think he might be the first to head back.
More shots from more players on more holes with more information