• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You'd probably remember if you had.

Enjoy

But please - start only when you know you have a little time on your hands! :mellow::)

shortpitched713

International Captain
This is what I think they should go in with for the first match, assuming everyone is fit.

England XI
1. Andrew Strauss
2. Michael Vaughan*
3. Ian Bell
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Liam Plunkett
8. Sajid Mahmood
9. Paul Nixon+
10. Jon Lewis
11. James Anderson

I was tempted to bring in Joyce for Mahmood, but I can't see any of the main English bowlers besides Anderson not getting belted most of the time, bringing in Saj gives you another bowler who hopefully won't get belted on the day. The batting though only has a plan A. Strauss, Vaughan and Bell hopefully need to last through about he first 25 overs or so. Then KP and Collingwod come in and milk the singles, and then Freddy will usually come in during the slog overs for an all out assault. If 7-11 need to do a significant amount of the batting in an English innings then they're screwed, but thats not too different from most English lineups, tbh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given Strauss' absence in the practice games, I'm genuinely hopeful he might be dropped soon.

And seriously - Mahmood above Nixon...? :unsure:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Might be an idea to pick a spinner, but maybe I'm being old-fashioned:unsure:

KP and Vaughns injuries rule them out of bowling, I would of thought.

grecian

Like it or not, and I'm fairly indifferent, I feel both England spinners will play. Monty is the one that may miss out, t'would be sheer folly, but could well happen with Fletcher involved in selection.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No way should Dalrymple play as a spinner. If he plays, it has to be as a batsman who bowls.

Heck, Michael Yardy's a better spinner than him, and that's saying something!

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
This I what I feel the England X1 should be

Ed Joyce
Michael Vaughan
Ian Bell
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Andrew Flintoff
Jamie Dalrymple
Paul Nixon
Jon Lewis
Monty Panesar
James Andreson

PhoenixFire

International Coach
1) Joyce
2) Vaughan
3) Pietersen
4) Bell
5) Flintoff
6) Collingwood
7) Dalrymple
8) Nixon
9) Plunkett
10) Anderson
11) Panesar

Scaly piscine

1) Joyce
2) Vaughan
3) Pietersen
4) Bell
5) Flintoff
6) Collingwood
7) Dalrymple
8) Nixon
9) Plunkett
10) Anderson
11) Panesar
That'll be the personnel that play I think, I don't think Fletcher likes Lewis and Plunkett should be ahead of him anyway. Personally I would decide between Panesar and Lewis late in the day, based on the pitch. The worrying thing is with this team is that we end up with pap on the scorecard.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Given Strauss' absence in the practice games, I'm genuinely hopeful he might be dropped soon.

And seriously - Mahmood above Nixon...? :unsure:
I'd have Joyce in for Strauss, but when it comes down to it hes hardly any better either, is he?

And while Nixon has a reputation as a Twenty-20 biffer, he hasn't scored too many runs in ODIs, and his strike rate is also too low. In my opinion it doesn't really matter which one you have before the other, but if England need either to do a significant part of the batting they're screwed anyway.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Like it or not, and I'm fairly indifferent, I feel both England spinners will play. Monty is the one that may miss out, t'would be sheer folly, but could well happen with Fletcher involved in selection.
Any of the spinners, Monty included, is more likely to be belted on a particular surface than one of the seamers, and unless its a turning surface I can't really justify including him. Personally, I don't see what any of the English spinners could do in the middle overs that a Collingwood or Lewis couldn't do. And considering that none of England's spinners really have a track record bowling at the death, having them would limit England's options outside of the middle overs.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Any of the spinners, Monty included, is more likely to be belted on a particular surface than one of the seamers, and unless its a turning surface I can't really justify including him. Personally, I don't see what any of the English spinners could do in the middle overs that a Collingwood or Lewis couldn't do. And considering that none of England's spinners really have a track record bowling at the death, having them would limit England's options outside of the middle overs.
Spinners IMO are most defenitely not going to be belted in the WC.Monty is a wicket taking spinner who bowls with good accuracy so I don't see why alot of people will be able to belt him seeing as the pitches are going to be very helpful to spinners.IMO Monty should play in the opening game and he will.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Well I don't neccessarily think spinners are going to be belted either, but more because they won't be bowled very much in conditions not suiting them, as opposed to because they are bowling very effectively. A seamer will most likely be able to bowl a large number of overs regardless of the conditions, but if the conditions are such that the ball is seaming or swinging for more than 25 overs the spinner will find it very difficult to get any overs at all.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Is the ball really going to swing or seam in the WI?.The conditions will suit spinners IMO.The ball will defenitely not be swinging or seaming after 25 overs.10-15 of swing and seam max IMO.

grecian

Well Mahmood is quite adept at getting pelted on all surfaces, Plunkers also. A little variety is surely needed on these pitches, from what we've seen in warm-ups. Not to keen on Lewis or Anderson either from the last few performances, a samey attack, with everyone but Freddie looking suspect, with no batting depth, isn't a terribly appetising prospect, unless your an opposing batsmen of course.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Not to keen on Lewis or Anderson either from the last few performances
Can't really understand why, considering they're your two best bowlers after Flintoff. Sure they may not have looked too hot, but I'd probably look elsewhere if I wanted to do some chopping and changing.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd imagine Plunkett and Mahmood will miss out probaly due to both these bowlers being erratic and wayward when compared to Lewis who bowls wicket to wicket on a good line and length.Also I predict Anderson and Lewis to take the new ball with Flintoff at first change followed by Monty,Dalrymple and Collingwood in that order.