• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Drama Thread

Ali TT

International Debutant
Yeah, the law definitely needs to be amended. I'd even argue it should be worded to apply only in situations where the umpires judge that wasting time could directly impact the outcome of the game - i.e. the situation (I think) it was intended for of forcing a draw when you're otherwise likely to lose by just not coming out. There might still be times in ODIs where it could apply - like if a wicket falls with rain approaching and the batting team knows they're still ahead on DLS, but will be behind if the next batter faces a ball and gets out before the rain comes, so they just take ages to get out there.

But even if a batter takes 10 minutes or something stupid to get out there and get ready, if those extra minutes are going to be utterly irrelevant*, I don't think it should be punishable by qualifying as a form of dismissal. Penalty runs or something if you want to punish it, but not being out. And that's ignoring the fact that this instance involved safety equipment breaking

*I know there's always a chance that a test match ends up as a really tense draw and you could argue that any time taken out of any stage in the game could have been the difference between the draw and defeat, but let's be reasonable
Are you a sponsor of the IPL?

Tom Flint

International Regular
I'd like to see footage of him from the moment the wicket fell all the way following him to the crease to see how long or slow he was.
1 minute 50 seems like ages to get from the changing room to the square before he realised there was a problem

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Measured from live feed:
  • Time 0; batter out
  • 1 minute 27 seconds: Angelo Mathews is out in the middle and "fist bumps" his partner.
  • 1 minute 50 seconds: He is at his batting crease
  • 1 minute 53 seconds: His strap breaks
  • 2 minutes 24 seconds: Shakib goes over to Matthews and the umpires, asking what is going on, and Matthews shows him the broken strap
  • 2 minutes 50 seconds: Umpire takes one look back at Bangladesh, walks over to Matthrews sheepishly with his hands out and shrugs his shoulder
  • 3 minutes: Matthews seems pissed. Likely Shakib has insisted on the appeal
  • 3 minutes and 16 seconds: Runner has brought the new helmet to Matthews

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

When Ian Healy makes a point, you need to make sure you are on the other side if you wish to be seen as intelligent and well-reasoned.

It honestly bemuses me how a guy who played 100+ Tests and probably commentated on as many can have an opinion worse than a 7th grade club player who bats 9 and doesn't bowl, and bats with his thigh pad on the outside.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain

When Ian Healy makes a point, you need to make sure you are on the other side if you wish to be seen as intelligent and well-reasoned.

It honestly bemuses me how a guy who played 100+ Tests and probably commentated on as many can have an opinion worse than a 7th grade club player who bats 9 and doesn't bowl, and bats with his thigh pad on the outside.
Hot takes = engagement. Some folks are pretty smart when it comes to social medial and purposely say **** that would create a lot of reactions, although I doubt Healy is one of them.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hot takes = engagement. Some folks are pretty smart when it comes to social medial and purposely say **** that would create a lot of reactions, although I doubt Healy is one of them.
Haha yes, this is true for some people. But Ian Healy has been doing this for 25 years, before social media was ever a thing. Mark Taylor even said it in commentary one day, that he's not sure how a guy who played 100 Tests with the greatest the game has ever seen, could offer such **** takes (paraphrasing, obviously)

This is the guy who blamed Australia getting bowled out for 60 in the 2015 Ashes on the wives being in camp.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Haha yes, this is true for some people. But Ian Healy has been doing this for 25 years, before social media was ever a thing. Mark Taylor even said it in commentary one day, that he's not sure how a guy who played 100 Tests with the greatest the game has ever seen, could offer such **** takes (paraphrasing, obviously)

This is the guy who blamed Australia getting bowled out for 60 in the 2015 Ashes on the wives being in camp.
Lmao. Just looked it up. What a dick.