• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Drama Thread

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I just can't get the logic of what Warner seems to be advocating for here.

Is he suggesting that umpires who get more decisions overturned via DRS should get less scope on umpire's call decisions? If so, that's a disaster just waiting to happen.

Based on comments like this, dreading Warner's contributions when he joins the Fox commentary team.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm amazed Warner hasn't been fined yet.

Obviously he's right in his insinuation that Wilson is a serial incompetent though
How good or bad Wilson is as an umpire is irrelevant because this entire outburst stems from an objectively correct decision made by Wilson. Not even one of those clipping a quarter of leg stump kind of thing, ball tracking said the ball was just clearly just hitting the stump no matter how it looked live . One would think after having looked at the replay proving him wrong, Warner would shut the **** up, but apparently not.

Spark

Global Moderator
How good or bad Wilson is as an umpire is irrelevant because this entire outburst stems from an objectively correct decision made by Wilson. Not even one of those clipping a quarter of leg stump kind of thing, ball tracking said the ball was just clearly just hitting the stump no matter how it looked live . One would think after having looked at the replay proving him wrong, Warner would shut the **** up, but apparently not.
Apparently Wilson told him he thought it swung back in towards the stumps which obviously didn't happen, but you can still be right for the wrong reasons

I don't get this consistent whining over marginal calls. Marginal doesn't mean it was 100% right or wrong, it just means that it could've gone the other way if things were different. That's perfectly fine when it comes to making judgement calls.
Yeah there have been a fair few LBWs which looked less out than Warner's which were still upheld

loterry1994

International Debutant
Yeah I don’t agree with Warners suggestion. Firstly his arguing about a decision from the umpire which was technically right no matter how controversial it l was it wasn’t a howler. And I don’t think it helps for an umpire’s confidence as well and putting way more pressure on them especially if they had a poorer game before.

It’s kind of like a player out of form and the announcer on the ground saying how many ducks or Sixes you’ve been struck for your last few innings right before you come in.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Apparently Wilson told him he thought it swung back in towards the stumps which obviously didn't happen, but you can still be right for the wrong reasons

Yeah there have been a fair few LBWs which looked less out than Warner's which were still upheld
I don’t see the reason complaining about it especially since it’s drs and not some howler and Warners form was a big reason for it . If Australia had been bowling and it went their way you can bet your house Warner would be the first guy celebrating and sending off the batter

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
David Warner calls for umpire stats on big screen

"I think in terms of what I'd like to see, this probably won't get across but players' stats go up on the board as you walk out to bat. When they announce the umpires and they come up on the screen. I'd love to see their stats come up on the board as well. Because we see that in National Rugby League (NRL). I know this is a world game but NRL shows those stats. I think the NFL shows those stats. I think it's a great thing for the spectators to see that as well," said Warner

David Warner calls for umpire stats on big screen | Cricbuzz.com
Honestly, I don't know how Warner gets out of the house. He doesn't appear to have the IQ to either turn a handle and open a door, let alone walk through it.

Just for non-Australasian people, the NRL does NOT have 'stats' for referees. They might say how many games they've refereed (as cricket does) but nothing else.

Someone can also tell him that information relating to how Hawkeye works is freely available online or by contacting them, if you're so aggrieved.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even in the NFL, they don’t show stats for refs.
Our great game has within its laws that the umpires’ call is the last.
He’s not a smart dude. Many times have calls been not in the favor of batsmen…and they just simply accept the decision of the umpires …knowing that all they had to do was put ball to bat.

I’m just going on about nothing here lol.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair, I have advocated for a change in the laws on DRS, where anything other than half the ball hitting the stumps should be ruled not out - regardless of the on-field decision. I find it incredible that the naked eye judgement of Joel Wilson plays any part in a technological decision. That could be a TV series - Joel Wilson & Technology: The Odd Couple. Premise being that Joel goes along and tries to help out in technological situations where he is completely out of his depth. Ie trying to create responses to questions on AI chat bot programs, creating boxes of cereals along conveyor belts etc.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I just can't get the logic of what Warner seems to be advocating for here.

Is he suggesting that umpires who get more decisions overturned via DRS should get less scope on umpire's call decisions? If so, that's a disaster just waiting to happen.

Based on comments like this, dreading Warner's contributions when he joins the Fox commentary team.
There will always be a hit Telugu song for him to dance to. Just gotta ensure the Fox comms box have that locked and loaded on their Spotify playlists.