• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Can't agree. Ian Chappell is probably the only guy in the team who watches non-Australian matches and he's not scared to voice his opinions and disapproval. I think he's the best commentator Nine has. Boring voice, and harps on a few favourite issues: front foot no-balls, new backing up rules, but generally he's the best IMHO.
Agree!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tbf, Nasser and Atherton have had no problems laying into England when necessary.
I reckon it's partly cultural. We're a pessimistic bunch (odd, um, exception aside :ph34r:) and are accustomed to not being much cop. If our team isn't doing well we have no problem laying into them, sometimes even too much. On the other hand, and I mean this as politely as possible, but I get the feeling at times that Australians find it hard to accept others being better at them. Like the Swann-Hauritz thread last year. And while here on CW in general we have balanced Aussie **** contributors (aforementioned thread aside), what you guys have said about the media and public over there and that suggests that the commentators are fairly reflective of the wider cricketing society,

Er it's kinda late so I don't think that came out so well, also not helping that I can't even tell myself now when I'm being serious and when I'm not

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I made a pretty similar comment last night in the SL tour thread. A lot of Aussies seem to view our players being better than everyone else as a natural order of things, something that should not and can not change. Hence a lot of the overreaction against Ponting or Clarke as skipper and/or selectors when we lose.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I made a pretty similar comment last night in the SL tour thread. A lot of Aussies seem to view our players being better than everyone else as a natural order of things, something that should not and can not change. Hence a lot of the overreaction against Ponting or Clarke as skipper and/or selectors when we lose.
Yeah I've been making posts to this effect for ages. Loved your post.

tooextracool

International Coach
He's smart, he's insightful, he's enthusiastic. But he is so ****ing annoying.
Harsha is one of the more biased commentators out there and he gets predictable about what hes going to say. That being said, hes a step up from the majority of Indian commentators out there such as Arun Lal and even Sanjay Manjarekar, and sometimes you only really find out his worth in India when you are forced to listen to the likes of Charu Sharma anchoring the show.

Ruckus

International Captain
Seems a lot of people here really like commentators who add lots of detailed insights/analyses into the game etc. I'm completely opposite to that. While the occasional interesting stat/fact/anecdote is entertaining, I generally just like commentators who keep the chatter to a mimimum so you can enjoy the game in itself. I like it when commentators just try to bring excitement to the key moments of the game. They have to have a good voice though IMO. I like Greig, Benaud, Bumble and Holden mainly just for their distinctive voice. People like Healy not only have annoying voices, but constantly chime in with biased statements and annoying 'punchlines'.

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fear for the day when Rich hangs it up. He's not as cutting as he used to be but he's such a steady soothing influence on the box that he can hide a lot of his co-commentators flaws. Don't mind Chappeli either, at least the guy seems to know what he's talking about.

I still hate Healy but he has changed a lot from the patronising cheerleading that marred the early part of his career. He at least does give touring players props at times now.

Greigy and Lawry are more or less caracatures these days, Slats is going down that route as well but Taylor is at least bearable most of the time. Less said about Brayshaw and Nicholas the better.

Noble One

I liked Tom Moody in the comm box for the Perth Twenty20. It was refreshing to hear the insights of a guy who knows the Sri Lankan team well and also reads the game nicely.

Bring back Moody.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
link?

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha you can just sense a massive undercurrent of muttering envy against robelinda and his cricket collection.

I'd install a good home intruder system if I were you.

Xuhaib

International Coach
heard Mohammad Akram for the first time this tuesday he makes Arun Lal sound like Richie.

Dissector

International Debutant
Sub-continental commentators are clearly the worst with the Sri Lankans being the absolute bottom of the barell. Believe it or not they used to be much worse back in the day in India when Doordarshan, the state broadcaster, did all the home cricket. Oddly enough that may have been a blessing in disguise. I listened to so much terrible commentary growing up that my commentary-meter appears to be permanently busted or something so I rarely get bothered by weak commentary these days.

robelinda

Well you must have heard those Nine commentators as much as anyone mate with that vast cricket collection of yours. Lucky Chaps has been there to keep you company...:laugh:
He was very average in the 80's, but i guess he got a lot better from the early/mid 90's onwards.

Haha you can just sense a massive undercurrent of muttering envy against robelinda and his cricket collection.

I'd install a good home intruder system if I were you.
Come on, i'm sure there are plenty of you who tape cricket, i'm not alone! I personally know heaps in Melbourne. Just a few weeks ago I found a guy who had all of Greg Chappell's final innings ball by ball, and some old WSC stuff from 1977, great viewing. Know tons of guys all over Australia with big collections, in England too. A mate in Tassie has a stack too. We are everywhere!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I could easily just start recording all the cricket I watch onto my computer with my TV Tuner card. Don't really know why I don't other than the fact that I'd have to keep buying new hard drives.

robelinda

I could easily just start recording all the cricket I watch onto my computer with my TV Tuner card. Don't really know why I don't other than the fact that I'd have to keep buying new hard drives.
You are lucky its 2010. Back in the 80's and 90's I had thousands of videos all over the house, it was a disaster up until dvd's came out. Now with hard drives its brilliant, I use blu ray too for some stuff. Love technology.

Noble One

I used to tape all the highlight packages that Nine screened late at night after the conclusion of an ODI. Some quality footage, I think my collection runs from about 1993 through to 2001. I need to copy to a DVD to ensure they survive.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Neo Cricket commentary sucks. Arun Lal and Laxman Sivaramakrishnan are pathetic to say the least.

robelinda

I used to tape all the highlight packages that Nine screened late at night after the conclusion of an ODI. Some quality footage, I think my collection runs from about 1993 through to 2001. I need to copy to a DVD to ensure they survive.
Yep me too, great stuff. Was so annoyed when Ch 9 stopped showing regular highlights, from memory in 96/97 they ceased showing them properly, because Ch 9 handed over highlights rights to Optus TV for 2 seasons (96/97 and 97/98, but 9 showed a few matches, at least here in Melbourne), then Ch 9 showed random highlights up until 2002, selective stuff though. Very annoying. Was glad when Fox took over highlights 4 years ago.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, they were (Grandstand). They had some young sounding Australian on, who I'd never heard before, didn't know who it was. Any idea?
It was Nick Jewell, did a good job too providing insight imo. Hope he gets a regular gig throughout the summer.