• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best Indian side: India (2007-2011) vs India (2015-2022)

Better team

• India 2007-2011

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • India 2015 - 2022

Votes: 17 81.0%

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Assuming the match is being played in India(duh) then I'm going with 2007-11 team. Sehwag would absolutely murder any spinner and pace bowler in India. Sachin and Dravid need no introduction. And I think even though there is a gulf in bowling, with the match being played in India the gulf isn't as pronounced as the batting is.
In subcontinent, the 2007 unit would beat Kohli's team convincingly based on superior batting strength and countering their spinners. On a spinning track, Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman and Tendulkar have a much better chance vs Ashwin/Jadeja than Rohit, Kohli, Rahane and Pujara vs Kumble/Harbi.

In Australia, Kohli's team would win it clearly based on their better fast bowling stocks.

In England/SA/NZ, Kohli's team would lose since their middle order is far more susceptible to lateral movement.

Hence 2007 team is simply a better all-round team than Kohli's and also have a better track record too.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Recency bias but I will choose the current team. I have more hope with this team before any test played anywhere than I ever had with the old team.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Recency bias but I will choose the current team. I have more hope with team before any test played anywhere than I ever had with the old team.
It's almost like its an overachiever vs underachiever battle.

Frankly, the biggest problem with Kohli's team is underperforming at key moments. Even though they were favorites often, they didnt take advantage of winning opportunities. Australia 2021 being the exception where they defied expectations.

Whereas Dhoni's team never had to face such hype and expectations and ended up with a better record.

subshakerz

International Coach
Why is this 2007-2011 and not 2003-2011.75% team composition remained the same only main change I remember Kumble and Ganguly being main part in the first half while Dhoni and Gambhir being integral post 2007.

I think draw 1-1 with Aus in 2003 was a bigger achievement then a 2-1 win in 2018
Yes that is fair, I think the 2007 onwards vintage built on the foundation of Ganguly.

shortpitched713

International Captain
The first team's duration is a bit cherry picked here. Is it based on a Test captaincy span? Otherwise I don't see why you'd start at 2007, creating a 5 year span, where the latter has an 8 year span, which is a huge difference, even if you take out a year for COVID or something.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The first team's duration is a bit cherry picked here. Is it based on a Test captaincy span? Otherwise I don't see why you'd start at 2007, creating a 5 year span, where the latter has an 8 year span, which is a huge difference, even if you take out a year for COVID or something.
I think it still helps the newer side, you get to count a draw in England and the latest BG win.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah I dont mind using 2001 to 2011 which is the entirety of the golden era too.

2007 to 2011 was their most productive phase which built off the Ganguly captaincy before that.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Still not seeing why batting is being overrated and bowling is being underrated so much. You'll need more than basic big averages to convince me Tendu and co can reliably handle Ashwin/Jaddu and the pacers when they've struggled against good attacks before.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Also 2007 side has only 4 bowlers while 2015 side has 5 bowlers. The 2007 side will struggle to get the 2015 side out far more comparatively.

subshakerz

International Coach
Still not seeing why batting is being overrated and bowling is being underrated so much. You'll need more than basic big averages to convince me Tendu and co can reliably handle Ashwin/Jaddu and the pacers when they've struggled against good attacks before.
Sehwag, Laxman and Tendulkar were ace players on spin, but you can bet if they struggle against Ashwin/Jadeja on their tailormade pitches, then Kumble/Harbi will rip through Kohli's side.

In England/SA/NZ, I back 2007 India against the current bowling attack more than the current batting who seem much more prone to collapse at the first sign of swing. Zaheer in that 2007 - 2011 phase was worldclass in those conditions.

Only in Australia will the current team have a definite advantage as their batting is quite adept in those conditions.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Sehwag, Laxman and Tendulkar were ace players on spin, but you can bet if they struggle against Ashwin/Jadeja on their tailormade pitches, then Kumble/Harbi will rip through Kohli's side.

In England/SA/NZ, I back 2007 India against the current bowling attack more than the current batting who seem much more prone to collapse at the first sign of swing. Zaheer in that 2007 - 2011 phase was worldclass in those conditions.

Only in Australia will the current team have a definite advantage as their batting is quite adept in those conditions.
Ridiculous even from you. I'm not exactly sure why vague feelings is still considered to be some sort of reasonable answer in such discussions.