• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best batsman and bowler of the 1990s

bagapath

International Captain
sorry... should have made myself clearer. team of 00s actually as december is just around the corner

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sorry... should have made myself clearer. team of 00s actually as december is just around the corner
Hmmm 00s:

Hayden
Smith
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Warne
Steyn
McGrath
Murali

EDIT: Plenty of deserving batsmen missing out, but had to go digging for the second quick. Settled for Steyn over Pollock and Akhtar as he offers more variety than Pollock and less drama than Akhtar (with a very similar record)

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmmm 00s:

Hayden
Smith
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Warne
Steyn
McGrath
Murali

EDIT: Plenty of deserving batsmen missing out, but had to go digging for the second quick. Settled for Steyn over Pollock and Akhtar as he offers more variety than Pollock and less drama than Akhtar (with a very similar record)
Hard to disagree with any of that- would switch Kallis and Lara's positions in the batting order though. Lara much better at batting with the tail.

The team pretty much picks itself itbt. I wonder if it still will when people look back on this decade in ten years.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm 00s:

Hayden
Smith
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Warne
Steyn
McGrath
Murali

Tendulkar in the 00s? I don't think he should be there. Slot in Sehwag for Smith, Sangakkara for Tendulkar and I think that's about right.

stephen

Tendulkar in the 00s? I don't think he should be there. Slot in Sehwag for Smith, Sangakkara for Tendulkar and I think that's about right.
I disagree with both substitutions.

1) Smith has been tested far more technically than Sehwag and I feel is a better batsman.
2) Sangakkara is extremely good but Tendulkar I feel is more of a big game player.

Like I said there were a number of excellent batsmen in the 00s that missed out, just like there were a number of excellent bowlers in the 90s that missed out.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I disagree with both substitutions.

1) Smith has been tested far more technically than Sehwag and I feel is a better batsman.
How did you decipher that? I think Sehwag's performance against Australia and particularly in Australia speak for itself. As far as testing conditions go, Smith's home record is pretty average/mediocre too. Not a great deal between them, though.

2) Sangakkara is extremely good but Tendulkar I feel is more of a big game player.

Like I said there were a number of excellent batsmen in the 00s that missed out, just like there were a number of excellent bowlers in the 90s that missed out.
Tendulkar's been very inconsistent. Take away minnows and he averages 47 for the decade. Sangakkara has been better.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Who do you drop for him? Tendulkar?

Ponting, Kallis and Lara all average higher than him for the decade. Tendulkar is the "weakest" middle order bat in this 00s team.
Tendulkar just misses out for me.

edit: Lara doesn't average higher than Dravid for the decade.

Only Ponting, Kallis and Hayden have scored more runs.

Last edited:

stephen

How did you decipher that? I think Sehwag's performance against Australia and particularly in Australia speak for itself.
No true objective measure (except a few hundred more runs at a marginally higher average). More of a gut feel having watched both players. There is no doubt that Smith has had to bat on significantly more bowler friendly wickets than Sehwag though.

Tendulkar's been very inconsistent. Take away minnows and he averages 47 for the decade. Sangakkara has been better.
Andy Flower has the highest batting average for the decade, followed by Mohammed Yousef. That doesn't mean I'd rather one of those two over Ponting.

Having said that, I do like Sangakkara a lot and it really is a marginal call as to who should get the gig out of those two.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure how you can ignore Dravid in any team of the 00s.
Whoa, yeh. Poor guy is off for a while and people forget about him. :p Dravid should probably get the Tendulkar spot. Which is good in a way as you can move Lara up and put him at 5.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No true objective measure (except a few hundred more runs at a marginally higher average). More of a gut feel having watched both players. There is no doubt that Smith has had to bat on significantly more bowler friendly wickets than Sehwag though.
True, but Smith hasn't covered himself in glory there either. As aforesaid, his home record is pretty mediocre.

Andy Flower has the highest batting average for the decade, followed by Mohammed Yousef. That doesn't mean I'd rather one of those two over Ponting.

Having said that, I do like Sangakkara a lot and it really is a marginal call as to who should get the gig out of those two.
My point wasn't that simply Tendulkar averages less than them. But he has been very inconsistent and in a decade of higher averages and minnows his record looks better than it is. Anyway, I agree with Gingerfurball that Dravid is probably the best to take his spot.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Really hasn't been a great decade for bowlers though.

Only 10 bowlers this decade have managed 100+ wickets at a sub 30 average, only 5 of whom average less than 25.

In the 1990s there's 23 bowlers with more than 100 wickets at less than 30, 5 of whom average less than 22!

stephen

Whoa, yeh. Poor guy is off for a while and people forget about him. :p Dravid should probably get the Tendulkar spot. Which is good in a way as you can move Lara up and put him at 5.
I didn't forget about Dravid. It's hard to drop Tendulkar though. Such a good batsman over so long a time. I did forget about Jayawardene who really deserves to be talked about as well.

stephen

Really hasn't been a great decade for bowlers though.

Only 10 bowlers this decade have managed 100+ wickets at a sub 30 average, only 5 of whom average less than 25.

In the 1990s there's 23 bowlers with more than 100 wickets at less than 30, 5 of whom average less than 22!
One question I have is how much does this have to do with the pitches and how much to do with the bowlers themselves?

It seems like a chicken and egg thing. All of McGrath, Murali, Akhtar, Steyn, Pollock and Warne would have been champions in other eras. Who knows whether Ntini, Lee, Gillespie, Hoggard etc... might have been revered like Waqar, Bishop et al are these days had the pitches been more favourable in the 00s?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
True, but Smith hasn't covered himself in glory there either. As aforesaid, his home record is pretty mediocre.
I'd have Smith waaaay ahead of Sehwag looking at their respective records in team victories.

Ditto when it comes to Dravid vs Tendulkar.