• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The beginning of the end for sledging?

Will international cricketers still be sledging in 2020?

• Total voters

shortpitched713

International Captain
Brad Hogg's ban imo will eventually signal the end to this boorish and totally unsportsmanlike behavior. A good, though long overdue move by the ICC.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I was against banning of sledging, but now I think it's a good idea. The less we can focus on this crap and more on the game, the better.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Brad Hogg's ban imo will eventually signal the end to this boorish and totally unsportsmanlike behavior. A good, though long overdue move by the ICC.
Perhaps every cloud does have a silver lining. If sledging, of which racist abuse is but one part, comes to an end (quickly rather than eventually for mine) and umpiring becomes more accountable (with use of technology, this will probably need to be eventual) - then maybe all of this might have been worth is.

Game will be better for both of these improvements.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
TBH i think there is a difference between sledging and just being offensive, general banter is a part of the game and so it should stay that way, unpleasant things being said on the field should obviously be stamped on as it's completely unnaceptable, but the general banter which I consider to be sledging will continue I imagine, and theres no real reason why it shouldn't.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think if International Cricketers are sledging in One Dayers, they'll probably be sledging in 2020 too. :dry:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would laugh my ass off if a team went and decided to report everything. Ten players have to go through hearing at the end of each match. ICC will have no choice but to ban it. Good riddance IMO. Why should it continuously take the spotlight away from the actual game?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Long overdue, I'd love sledging to be banned.. Yeah banter is great, but cricketers appear to be too plank faced at the moment to do it with any tact, so get rid of it all together, maybe then we can worry about the cricket..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I really think it might be. I don't think turning off the stump mikes is ever going to be feasible again after Sydney, so if the prospect of having their witticisms broadcast makes players mind their P's & Q's a bit then fair play.

Let's make one thing clear: racism is abhorrent and (IMHO) the worst abuse someone can use, but calling someone a c-word or questioning their wife's/mother's fidelity isn't too pleasant either. Not convinced the game would be losing a noble tradition.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How could you possibly get "sledging" banned?
One match ban or 50% match fee fine if you say anything offensive directed at an offensive player, or used offensive language to an opposing player and it was over-heard by the umpires or the stump mics.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Think we've got to a time where IMO bans and fines are just not enough, it's not going to stop sledging in the long run.

It compares to Football (Soccer) where mainly Spanish teams in recent times have been fined so amount of money for racist chanting, object throwing etc.

Maybe something has to happen where the team pays the consequence as a result of sledging.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm sick of all the crap that ruins cricket like sledging and stuff, why can't people just play cricket and let it be the end of it.

Flem274*

123/5
What we have now cannot last IMO. ICC either have to ban the lot of it or let it all go. The problem is how do you stop it? Players will always find ways to chip in a remark out of earshot then when player X complains all they have to do is deny it and the match referee won't have a clue whos telling the truth. The argument "why would they lie?" doesn't stick in this situation either because if we start banning people on the complainants word then I suspect teams will take advantage of it then after day 1 of a test all the top quality players will have big fat bans.

Personally I don't really see what all the fuss is about but then again I'm still at school where you can't get five seconds without someone piping up with a smart remark which is generally offensive. If you're going to dish it out then you're going to have to be able to take it. Heck after this NZ should take Lou Vincent over next summer as a professional sledger, he'd get them up in arms. I know racial abuse is awful but, once again, how do we decide what is over the line and what isn't? Its an issue that will never be solved IMO.

ozone

First Class Debutant
I agree that racsim, ***ism or any of the other '...isms' listed on the ICCs list should not be tolerated. But I think the line between banter and sledging is so small that teams are just going to stop to interact. For me, banter and sledging are both part of the game and as long as people don't overstep the mark, they provide another enjoyable aspect to the game.