• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The beginning of the end for sledging?

Will international cricketers still be sledging in 2020?

• Total voters

Tom Halsey

International Coach
TBH i think there is a difference between sledging and just being offensive, general banter is a part of the game and so it should stay that way, unpleasant things being said on the field should obviously be stamped on as it's completely unnaceptable, but the general banter which I consider to be sledging will continue I imagine, and theres no real reason why it shouldn't.
Yes agree with most of this, there is a difference to be made between banter (which I'd class as sledging, and which you'd have to be way too thin-skinned to be offended by) and outright abuse (Brumby mentioned some examples of this).

I do think however it probably will be the end of sledging, which will be a shame. What should happen is just leave all stump mics on, and players will then be far more forthcoming in watching what they're saying, as Brumby said again.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Impossible to ban.

Are you going to ban teams encouraging their own team mates and how and who decides if comments made to a team mate is really a sledge at an opposition player?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Think we've got to a time where IMO bans and fines are just not enough, it's not going to stop sledging in the long run.

It compares to Football (Soccer) where mainly Spanish teams in recent times have been fined so amount of money for racist chanting, object throwing etc.

Maybe something has to happen where the team pays the consequence as a result of sledging.

The Spanish football thing is a crowd problem and stopping 50,000 people chanting is almost impossible. Stopping sledging is easy, make it illegal and hand the captain a 6 match ban if he can't control his players.

Tony

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
You cant define or ban sledging. It is abusive language which is reportable and that should be left to umpires and match referees to judge. Harby should get a suspended sentence and the captains and umpires sit around and have a chat about it. It should just be brought up in the pre game meeting between captains, umpires and match referees.

Anyway what is sledging.

If I am batting say in a match and I'm on 17 not out - just steered a ball backward of point after playing and missing 15 times in a row...the fast bowler stands in the pitch and stares at me for the fifth ball in a row which by the way also irritates me because I actually left all those balls alone and the steer to point was off the middle...........what would you say if you were the bowler ?

Tony

India are still waiting for outcome of the appeal hearing for Harby's 3 match ban...they still have left the option open to go home

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India are still waiting for outcome of the appeal hearing for Harby's 3 match ban...they still have left the option open to go home
I think there should be an end put to this and they should just be told to make a decision now...go or stay. I'm not a fan of organisations being held to ransom. They can even take their bat and ball.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think there should be an end put to this and they should just be told to make a decision now...go or stay. I'm not a fan of organisations being held to ransom. They can even take their bat and ball.
They'll postpone the appeal hearing until after the Series is over.........then uphold the ban...........everyone's a winner.:)

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's Australias ball tbh, so they can't have it.

Majin

International Debutant
Can't see why any members of the general public would be opposed to this as 99% of what's said on the field stays there anyway, so aside from the odd gem that makes it through we wouldn't be missing anything anyway.

Tony

If they got Harby out quicker none of this would have happened. Anyway I dont know what sledging is....

If you edge one down to third man for the third time in a row and the fast bowler says "you f..... ar... c...." out of earshot of the umpire should he be reported ? An issue here is that Indians may see that the same as calling Symonds a "monkey" even though I would see it as very different.

When I played cricket the most irritating thing when batting is the slips and keeper and bowler chatting between balls about your clothing, technique whatever designed so you can hear it........and the good thing about that is that this irritated me for 2 hours then stopped during the third hour of the innings.....meaning I was out there long enough to be sledged.

The worst sledging team I played against according to team mates I thought wasnt too bad.......I only made 3 quick "on yer bike" and thats my day.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Who is going to tell them? CA? Tough chance, they have $50million riding on it. ICC? Haha.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
I think everyone should just harden the hell up to be honest.

Why has this become such a issue ?? :S

Has anyone seen mills in recent times vs banga

hes in fine sledging form~!!

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Put me into the anti- column; don't think sledging can or should be banned. If something is said on-field that is offensive, let the onus be on the person offended to report it then deal with it as per the process. For the record I've never sledged anyone in my life (I preferred the Jeff Thomson approach of not saying anything to keep the batsman guessing whether I was mad a them) but real life is not sledge-free, neither should be sport.

It's moot anyway. Impossible to actually ban or Police correctly.