• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The balls of the century

Engle

State Vice-Captain
As opener to 1st ball, Cook is playing at his defensive best.
The ball quivers thru the air minutely moving towards him, provoking him to commit. Then anticipating his positioning, moves away from the bat as if magnetized. It penetrates the opening with the pin-point precision of a guided missile.
Worthy of 1

Midwinter

State Captain
The context must be borne in mind.

Beating one of the world's best batsmen at the very start of the innings in one of the most important games of the year is not the same as me bowling the same ball to a local No 11 on a saturday afternoon.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Beating one of the world's best batsmen at the very start of the innings in one of the most important games of the year is not the same as me bowling the same ball to a local No 11 on a saturday afternoon.
The whole issue is this. 1st ball, when a batsman is new and not moving his feet, etc. How about Asif doing it to the world's best batsman at the time when the fellow was on 20 odd? Not one of them, alomost all the top bunch? Tendulkar, Sangakkara, Devilliers, Amla, KP, Laxman . . . the list goes on.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lmao try harder

time of innings was irrelevant to the result. No one is hitting that ball unless it's by accident. Nothing else on the list comes close to the Harris ball

it was also an absolute fluke, Ryan Harris could try to bowl the exact same ball for the rest of his life and never do it again. It wasn't just the result of helpful overhead conditions or a green seaming pitch which makes it unique

ImpatientLime

International Regular

if we're basing it on context then it most certainly isn't number one. flintoff to ponting in terms of context is leagues ahead.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I posted Akram's ball to Gilchrist during Colombo ODI in 2002 in this thread.

Harris to Cook was basically Cook playing the wrong line and bowled.
He played the right line but the ball decided to dodge his bat. Since when does a ball swung after pitching like that?