• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stokes played the best innings I've ever seen against the Aussies at Headingley and in fact it's as good an innings as I've ever read about. By whatever criteria you measure great innings, that innings is right up there.
This has to be sarcasm

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
This has to be sarcasm
Not at all mate. This is what Wisden said of the innings when asking if it was England's greatest ever innings.

'Of England Test innings that have been reported on widely enough to merit inclusion here, arguably only two can challenge Stokes: Pietersen’s 158 at The Oval on the last afternoon of the 2005 Ashes, and – a few weeks after Headingley – Botham’s 118 off 102 balls at Old Trafford, where he hooked Dennis Lillee without a helmet.'

Now I was at Old Trafford for the Botham innings and saw KPs on the TV. Stokes' innings topped them for me.

It's a subjective opinion. I think Stokes innings was the best I've seen, you clearly don't which is fair enough.

TheJediBrah

Not at all mate. This is what Wisden said of the innings when asking if it was England's greatest ever innings.

'Of England Test innings that have been reported on widely enough to merit inclusion here, arguably only two can challenge Stokes: Pietersen’s 158 at The Oval on the last afternoon of the 2005 Ashes, and – a few weeks after Headingley – Botham’s 118 off 102 balls at Old Trafford, where he hooked Dennis Lillee without a helmet.'

Now I was at Old Trafford for the Botham innings and saw KPs on the TV. Stokes' innings topped them for me.

It's a subjective opinion. I think Stokes innings was the best I've seen, you clearly don't which is fair enough.
We must have watched a different innings. Stokes at Headingly was mostly a procession of mis-timed slogs falling into gaps with occassional decent shots in between. Not to mention the plumb lbw given not out. With average luck he would have been out 10 times.

As far as quality of batting and stroke play it was probably one of the worst centuries of all time. Definitely the worst that Stokes had ever played. It's the drama and situation, where the series was at, 4th innings chase etc. that made it "special".

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Best I’ve seen would be

Hayden
Smith
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist+
Pollock
Warne
Steyn
McGrath

No Smith or Cummins cos yeah still not including current players. Otherwise they’d be there in place of Pollock and either Ponting or Kallis.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Stokes over Kallis is a big call.
It is a big call - Kallis' record is superior to Stokes'. Kallis is very much under valued - his stats are fantastic.

But I went for Stokes over Kallis on a gut feel. In an ATG side of players I'd seen, I felt I had enough batting and bowling options and wanted a player like Stokes who could play an innings that even someone like Kallis probably couldn't.

Is Kallis a better cricketer than Stokes - you'd have to say yes but I felt Stoke could do things Kallis couldn't.

Plus I couldn't pick a ATG team and not have one English player in it :laughing:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It is a big call - Kallis' record is superior to Stokes'. Kallis is very much under valued - his stats are fantastic.

But I went for Stokes over Kallis on a gut feel. In an ATG side of players I'd seen, I felt I had enough batting and bowling options and wanted a player like Stokes who could play an innings that even someone like Kallis probably couldn't.

Is Kallis a better cricketer than Stokes - you'd have to say yes but I felt Stoke could do things Kallis couldn't.

Plus I couldn't pick a ATG team and not have one English player in it :laughing:
“England representative” would be better wording. :santa:

Slifer

International Captain
Best XI from my lifetime:

Gavaskar
Smith
Viv
Sachin
Lara
Border*
Gilchrist +
Imran
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne

Smith to probably replace Border and move Lara or Sachin down a spot when all is said and done. Won't include current players for now.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Tendulkar
Lara
Sobers
Gilchrist(wk)
Khan(c)
Hadlee
Marshall
Murali/Warne

12th man : Wasim Akram

Wants to pick Warne because he was better bat and this long tail would be amazing but Murali would be better for SC conditions.

Zinzan

Greatest XI using US Presidents First names (without doubling up).

John Berry 'Jack' Hobbs (Tyler)
Bill Lawry (Clinton)
Donald Bradman* (Trump)
Martin Crowe (Van Buren)
George Headley (Washington)
Abraham de Villiers+ (Lincoln)
Benjamin Stokes 5 (Harrison)
Andrew Flintoff 3 (Jackson)
Richard Hadlee 1 (Nixon)
James Anderson 2 (Munroe)
James Laker 4 (Garfield)

Solid XI if not a little samey with Stokes and Flintoff. Strong batting & more than decent bowling attack.

And yes Trump is captain, get over it.

Zinzan

Herbert Sutcliffe (Hoover) over Lawry opens up O'Reilly as spinner
Both good calls & O'Reilly ahead of Flintoff. Still great batting depth with Stokes at 7 & Hadlee 8 which you need with those bunnys at 9,10 & jack

Herbert Sutcliffe (Hoover)
Donald Bradman* (Trump)
Martin Crowe (Van Buren)
Benjamin Stokes 3 (Harrison)
Richard Hadlee 1 (Nixon)
Bill O'Reilly 5 (Clinton)
James Laker 4 (Garfield)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Both good calls & O'Reilly ahead of Flintoff. Still great batting depth with Stokes at 7 & Hadlee 8 which you need with those bunnys at 9,10 & jack

Herbert Sutcliffe (Hoover)
Donald Bradman* (Trump)
Martin Crowe (Van Buren)
Benjamin Stokes 3 (Harrison)
Richard Hadlee 1 (Nixon)
Bill O'Reilly 5 (Clinton)
James Laker 4 (Garfield)
I'm a huge Martin Crowe fan, but Joe (Biden) Root at 4.