• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Healy is a severely under rated player these days, isn't he? Was regarded as one of, if not our best number seven ever until his direct successor blew his records away. Jeez he was a great keeper, though. Awful commentator, but even when he was doing that it was awesome watching his masterclasses on keeping. He was just a genius, and got to be one through hard work. Read some articles and/ or books years ago on the sheer amount of extras he put in at practice to get to the point he did. I think it might have been because he'd come from nowhere to be picked, so knew he wasn't a certainly to keep his spot unless he showed tangible signs of improvement as he went along. Just a complete gun.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well, I did it, last year. so encouraging everyone else to do the same.
I presume you're talking about a declaration of love? If so, I quite agree. After all, why should everyone else get to be happy when the rest of us are miserable? :ph34r:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Wisden has given the best Test innings of the year to both Perera and Stokes.
Bit of a cop out, but they’d have copped **** for English bias picking Stokes and then England would be pissed if they picked Perera. That said, two amazing innings both deserving of an award.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Healy is a severely under rated player these days, isn't he? Was regarded as one of, if not our best number seven ever until his direct successor blew his records away. Jeez he was a great keeper, though. Awful commentator, but even when he was doing that it was awesome watching his masterclasses on keeping. He was just a genius, and got to be one through hard work. Read some articles and/ or books years ago on the sheer amount of extras he put in at practice to get to the point he did. I think it might have been because he'd come from nowhere to be picked, so knew he wasn't a certainly to keep his spot unless he showed tangible signs of improvement as he went along. Just a complete gun.
Yeah I rate Healy extremely highly as a keeper. The fact that I questioned whether it should be him or Tallon for the "best Queensland keeper ever" shows not that I don't rate Healy, but that I rate him very highly. By all accounts Tallon was unmatched behind the stumps but Healy was the best keeper I've seen (if you ignore batting ability - and he was a perfectly capable number 7 with the bat).

But yeah he'll forever be "that guy who kept for Australia before Gilchrist", whether that's fair or not.

bagapath

International Captain
Without 'cheating' my first XI's 1 to 6 is:

JB Hobbs
L Hutton
WR Hammond
DCS Compton
KS Ranjitsinhji
KF Barrington

10 players in the team can bowl; no need for Botham.
Barrington at 6 could be more of a hindrance than of real use... Post no.5 you need an ABDV or Sobers or Gilchrist kind of a rockstar who can take the game away with their all-round stroke production or a Border kind of a diamond who can manage the tail like a lioness guards her cubs... Barrington is a typical top order bat who can be the spine of a long team innings. But lower down the order, the boycotts, barringtons, davids and sutcliffes (Herbert) are not going to help you...

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
Barrington at 6 could be more of a hindrance than of real use... Post no.5 you need an ABDV or Sobers or Gilchrist kind of a rockstar who can take the game away with their all-round stroke production or a Border kind of a diamond who can manage the tail like a lioness guards her cubs... Barrington is a typical top order bat who can be the spine of a long team innings. But lower down the order, the boycotts, barringtons, davids and sutcliffes (Herbert) are not going to help you...
Yeah, good point. I don't consider multiple openers to be cheating, just the best option. I rate Hobbs, Hutton, and Grace directly after Bradman. Sutcliffe is in the same tier as Gavaskar and Richards (especially when partnered with Hobbs) in my opinion and it is my strategy to have the top 4 or 5 build up an innings then have the likes of Grace and Compton unleash an attack.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
So has the DoG's list changed anyone's perspective or opinion on any particular player?

Changed any personal XI's?

Logan

U19 Captain
So has the DoG's list changed anyone's perspective or opinion on any particular player?

I have always paired one modern day opener (Gavaskar) with one of the English legends. I was oscillating between Hobbs and Hutton. But DoG has changed my mind(for now) to Jack Hobbs. I have always thought and still think Andy Flower deserves to be on ATG team ahead of Gilchrist. I would wait for Smith to finish his career before replacing Sachin in my ATG team.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach

Hammond out for Smith in my XI. Realising now that Smith is with Sobers a little tier above all other middle-order players; they are the two standouts beside you-know-who among MOBs who all tend to be at very similar levels.

ataraxia

International Coach
I have always paired one modern day opener (Gavaskar) with one of the English legends. I was oscillating between Hobbs and Hutton. But DoG has changed my mind(for now) to Jack Hobbs. I would wait for Smith to finish his career before replacing Sachin in my ATG team.
What would you do if he finished his career now? Since you seem to indicate him replacing Tendulkar will be close to a certainty. I take it that Barrington is in your XI?

Logan

U19 Captain
I have always paired one modern day opener (Gavaskar) with one of the English legends. I was oscillating between Hobbs and Hutton. But DoG has changed my mind(for now) to Jack Hobbs. I have always thought and still think Andy Flower deserves to be on ATG team ahead of Gilchrist. I would wait for Smith to finish his career before replacing Sachin in my ATG team.

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Sachin
Kallis
Sobers
Flower
Hadlee
Marshall
Steyn
Muralitharan

Logan

U19 Captain
What would you do if he finished his career now? Since you seem to indicate him replacing Tendulkar will be close to a certainty. I take it that Barrington is in your XI?
I will choose Kallis over Richards, Hammond, Lara, Sanga etc. Equally great batsman and 292 wickets at an average of 32 makes him a better option IMO.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
Yeah I rate Healy extremely highly as a keeper. The fact that I questioned whether it should be him or Tallon for the "best Queensland keeper ever" shows not that I don't rate Healy, but that I rate him very highly. By all accounts Tallon was unmatched behind the stumps but Healy was the best keeper I've seen (if you ignore batting ability - and he was a perfectly capable number 7 with the bat).

But yeah he'll forever be "that guy who kept for Australia before Gilchrist", whether that's fair or not.
Don Tallon was the best keeper of all time if you take the batting equation out of the picture Wally Grout was not that far be hind him neither was John Maclean as aussie keepers go. Add Farok Engineer and Allan Knott and you have the top five not necessarily in that order.

JBMAC

State Captain

Don Tallon was the best keeper of all time if you take the batting equation out of the picture Wally Grout was not that far be hind him neither was John Maclean as aussie keepers go. Add Farok Engineer and Allan Knott and you have the top five not necessarily in that order.