• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
1. Len Hutton
2. Sunil Gavaskar
3. Don Bradman
4. Ronald Reagan
5. Viv Richards
6. Garry Sobers
7. Alan Knott
8. Shane Warne
9. Richard Hadlee
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Dennis Lillee

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
You can actually replace Gilchrist with someone like Knott given the batting strength of that team... Really good side.
For everything I have been reading, as great as Knott undoubtedly was, I would still place Oldfield, Tallon and Cameron over him. H.B was also a very good batsman.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
For today then.

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Garry Sobers
Jock Cameron
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Glenn Mcgrath

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I've been trying to put together a team of players who are said to have been great wet or underprepared wicket players. I've listed the team with an example of a performance

Underprepared Wickets and Sticky Dogs XI
1. Jack Hobbs - 1909, Birmingham:- NOBODY else scored a half century in the test, on a soft "tricky" pitch.
2. WG Grace - No particular match, but before heavy rollers were used was the greatest batsman of all in FC
3&4. George Headley, Wally Hammond - Jan 8-10 1935 Kensington Oval, Headley and Hammond alone scored over 15 in the first innings on a very wet wicket
5. Victor Trumper - the Wet northern summer of 1902; outscored the best Australian of the previous DRY tour, Darling by 600+ runs, he scored 2570 on the tour
6. Arthur Shrewsbury - 1886 at Lords on day one scored 91 after and during periods of rain
7. Alan Knott+ - debut '67 against Pak 2nd Innings took 4 catches on wet soft wicket, he and Underwood performed well together on those occasions
8. John Wisden - like WG, Wisden played on underprepared pitches and while the number 8 spot is low for someone considered such a good allrounder, in this company it's what he gets. The greatest feat of his career was when he clean bowled all ten wickets in the second innings of the South v. North game at Lord's in 1850.
9. Headley Verity 1934 at Lords, rain fell after their innings, then Verity took 7/61 first innings and 8/43 in the second.
10. Wilfred Rhodes - 1902 Birmingham, scored 38 with the bat, then took 7 wickets for 17 after rain
11. Fred "Demon" Spofforth - 1882 the first Ashes test and 14 wickets on a bad pitch

1. Jack Hobbs
2. WG Grace
3. George Headley
4. Wally Hammond
5. Victor Trumper
6. Arthur Shrewsbury
7. Allan Knott+
8. John Wisden
9. Headley Verity
10. Wilfred Rhodes
11. Fred Spofforth

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've been trying to put together a team of players who are said to have been great wet or underprepared wicket players. I've listed the team with an example of a performance

Underprepared Wickets and Sticky Dogs XI
1. Jack Hobbs - 1909, Birmingham:- NOBODY else scored a half century in the test, on a soft "tricky" pitch.
2. WG Grace - No particular match, but before heavy rollers were used was the greatest batsman of all in FC
3&4. George Headley, Wally Hammond - Jan 8-10 1935 Kensington Oval, Headley and Hammond alone scored over 15 in the first innings on a very wet wicket
5. Victor Trumper - the Wet northern summer of 1902; outscored the best Australian of the previous DRY tour, Darling by 600+ runs, he scored 2570 on the tour
6. Arthur Shrewsbury - 1886 at Lords on day one scored 91 after and during periods of rain
7. Alan Knott+ - debut '67 against Pak 2nd Innings took 4 catches on wet soft wicket, he and Underwood performed well together on those occasions
8. John Wisden - like WG, Wisden played on underprepared pitches and while the number 8 spot is low for someone considered such a good allrounder, in this company it's what he gets. The greatest feat of his career was when he clean bowled all ten wickets in the second innings of the South v. North game at Lord's in 1850.
9. Headley Verity 1934 at Lords, rain fell after their innings, then Verity took 7/61 first innings and 8/43 in the second.
10. Wilfred Rhodes - 1902 Birmingham, scored 38 with the bat, then took 7 wickets for 17 after rain
11. Fred "Demon" Spofforth - 1882 the first Ashes test and 14 wickets on a bad pitch

1. Jack Hobbs
2. WG Grace
3. George Headley
4. Wally Hammond
5. Victor Trumper
6. Arthur Shrewsbury
7. Allan Knott+
8. John Wisden
9. Headley Verity
10. Wilfred Rhodes
11. Fred Spofforth
Derek Underwood was the most unplayable bowler ever on a sticky wicket. Prime example would be Lords 1974 when Pakistan got caught twice. The first innings was after rain when wickets were still uncovered and the seconds innings after the covers leaked overnight.

2nd Test: England v Pakistan at Lord's, Aug 8-13, 1974 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Derek Underwood was the most unplayable bowler ever on a sticky wicket. Prime example would be Lords 1974 when Pakistan got caught twice. The first innings was after rain when wickets were still uncovered and the seconds innings after the covers leaked overnight.

2nd Test: England v Pakistan at Lord's, Aug 8-13, 1974 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
I thought of Underwood, that's why I mentioned him in the post with Knott. But I opted to go for two slow left armers already. Verity would captain the side and Rhodes was also considered a wet wicket "must have". Underwood definitely worth a shout though

watson

Banned
If I were 150 years old and had seen all the great cricketers play ATG XI....

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Victor Trumper
03. Don Bradman
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Kumar Ranjitsinhji
06. Garry Sobers
07. Imran Khan
08. Bert Oldfield
09. Malcolm Marshall
10. Wilfred Rhodes
11. Sydney Barnes

Days of Grace

International Captain
Hussey was 5. Bevan 6. Couldn't justify having Bevan ahead of Hussey because their averages are similar but Hussey strikes at 87 and Bevan at 74, so Hussey really had to go ahead.

I suspect this is how NZ beat Aussie. Bevan would have faced Hadlee a lot with Hadlee's ER of 3.3. This would have meant Aussie strangled itself at a point in the innings when NZ have Anderson, McCullum and Lance Cairns.

I'll do a Bevan vs Maxwell head to head sim to test it out, with both players at 6 after Hussey.
I think strike-rates and economy-rates need to be adjusted for this simulation. There is no way Garner would concede 3.0 runs an over in the modern game, for example.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think strike-rates and economy-rates need to be adjusted for this simulation. There is no way Garner would concede 3.0 runs an over in the modern game, for example.
This is one I'm not sure about. McGrath went at 3.8 in ODIs and I can't imagine Garner ever getting really taken apart.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I were 150 years old and had seen all the great cricketers play ATG XI....

01. Jack Hobbs
02. Victor Trumper
03. Don Bradman
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Kumar Ranjitsinhji
06. Garry Sobers
07. Imran Khan
08. Bert Oldfield
09. Malcolm Marshall
10. Wilfred Rhodes
11. Sydney Barnes
Cool side, although you're not 150 years old so what are you basing it on? :p

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
They adjust automatically in a way because modern batsmen have higher strike rates and Garner tends to go for closer to 4 against them. Likewise Bevan scores at closer to 82 against Anderson, Southee, Santner et al.

watson

Banned
This is one I'm not sure about. McGrath went at 3.8 in ODIs and I can't imagine Garner ever getting really taken apart.
Just very quickly....

Joel Garner 'Era' ER : 4.00

Glenn McGrath 'Era' ER: 4.63

4.63 / 4.00 = 1.16

Adjusted Joel Garner ER: 3.09 x 1.16 = 3.58

Glenn McGrath ER = 3.88

Joel Garner is 0.3 runs per over more Economical than Glenn McGrath in real terms.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
WK XI ( in batting order)

1. Les Ames
2. Alan Knott
3. Syed Kirmani
4. Godfrey Evans
5. Jock Cameron
6. Don Tallon
7. Wally Grout
8. Jack Blackham
9. Bert Oldfield
10. Wasim Bari
11. Herbert Strudwick

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Just very quickly....

Joel Garner 'Era' ER : 4.00

Glenn McGrath 'Era' ER: 4.63

4.63 / 4.00 = 1.16

Adjusted Joel Garner ER: 3.09 x 1.16 = 3.58

Glenn McGrath ER = 3.88

Joel Garner is 0.3 runs per over more Economical than Glenn McGrath in real terms.
I've got no idea how people work out these era adjustments. But I do know that I watched Garner bowl in ODIs and he was near unplayable at times. So economical it was ridiculous. He had everything: height, express pace and that ****ing awkward angular thing going on that meant he was near impossible to hit in the air long.

God he was good, and he would be the best ODI bowler in any era.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
All-rounders ODI XI

1. Chris Gayle (9)
2. Nathan Astle (8)
3. Jacques Kallis (4)
4. AB de Villiers (wk)
5. Imran Khan (1)
6. Chris Cairns (3)
7. Glenn Maxwell (10)
8. Kapil Dev (2)
9. Lance Klusener (6)
10. Lance Cairns (7)
11. Daniel Vettori (5)

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I've got no idea how people work out these era adjustments. But I do know that I watched Garner bowl in ODIs and he was near unplayable at times. So economical it was ridiculous. He had everything: height, express pace and that ****ing awkward angular thing going on that meant he was near impossible to hit in the air long.

God he was good, and he would be the best ODI bowler in any era.
It's also why I don't believe in era adjustments. Batsmen might be more aggressive nowadays but that doesn't necessarily mean they would try and take to Garner. There's usually one bowler on every team who just gets played out, usually their most dangerous, and in any team that bowler would be Garner.