• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test draft - players can only be picked from 3 nominated countries and decades

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Doug Walters (Aus, 1960s) and no-one else can pick Victor Trumper (Aus, 1890s).

Jack Hobbs
Victor Trumper
KS Ranjitsinhji
Aubrey Faulkner
Doug Walters
Stanley Jackson
Alan Knott+
Monty Noble*
Mike Procter
Tom Richardson
Sydney Barnes

(Apart from the top 2 and the bottom 2, the batting order for this XI is not obvious... 7 guys who can bowl and batting down to 9).

ataraxia

International Coach
Hobbs
Trumper
Ranji
Jackson
Walters
Faulkner
Procter
Knott
Noble
Barnes
Richardson

actually tbh I wouldn't mind Noble at 4, so whatever.

Teuton

International Captain
Final xi
Bob Simpson
Alastair Cook
Clyde Walcott
Everton Weekes
Michael Clarke c
Gary Sobers
Brad Haddin
Alan Davidson
Wes Hall
Jim Laker
Bill Johnston

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
As AndrewB has completed his team and he was the only other with a '60s/South Africa slot, I can complete my team with Peter Pollock ('60s/SA) to make my team a family affair.

H.Sutcliffe /
G.Boycott /
I.Chappell /o capt.
G.Pollock /
M.Waugh /o
A.Stewart w/k
S.Pollock /o
M.Tate o/
P.Pollock o/
H.Larwood o
T.Freeman o

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Might just have round 11 be a free for all starting now. Expecting very little poaching of other people's potential picks based on the last few posts

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Len Hutton
Barry Richards
Younis Khan
Dudley Nourse
Javed Miandad
Kevin Pietersen
Lee Irvine+
Imran Khan*
Hedley Verity
Bob Willis
Mohammad Asif

I could've gone 3 ways with little interference for my last 2 picks. Playing out combinations made this draft so fun.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Gary Gilmour

Arthur Morris
Gordon Greenidge
Neil Harvey
Norm O'Neill
Keith Miller (3)
Mushtaq Mohammed (c) (6)
Gary Gilmour (5)
Don Tallon (wk)
Ray Lindwall (1)
Michael Holding (2)
Lance Gibbs (4)

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
1. Conrad Hunte
2. Desmond Haynes
3. Rohan Kanhai
4. Greg Chappell
5. Steve Waugh [VC] [5]
6. Allan Border [C]
7. Ian Healy [+]
8. Wasim Akram [2]
9. Dennis Lillee [1]
10. Jeff Thomson [3]
11. Abdul Qadir [4]

mr_mister

Patsy Hendren

Graham Gooch
Bill Ponsford
Viv Richards
Alvin Kallicharran
Frank Worrell *
Patsy Hendren
Godfrey Evans +
Alec Bedser
Joel Garner
Clarrie Grimmett
Colin Croft

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Gonna do a quick write up for my XI:

Saeed Anwar
Sid Barnes
George Headley
Brian Lara
Stan McCabe [5]
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Jeff Dujon [wk]
Curtly Ambrose [1]
Ian Bishop [3]
Bill O'Reilly [4]
Courtney Walsh [2] [c]

Probably the best bowling attack in the draft (let me know if you think otherwise) because a truly awesome bowling attack needs ATG spinner to go with ATG pace bowler(s). This team has an ATG spinner in O'Reilly to go with 3 great pace bowlers (2 of whom are ATGs). Fact that the pace trio of Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop actually played together in a bunch of games should help them work well in a combination. This attack is going to shine in any conditions.

Batting has a glorious opening combo. Sid Barnes an accomplished batsman who played some great knocks with Bradman including a memorable record partnership. Anwar a great stroke maker and one who had a superb record against the Mighty Aussies of mid to late 90s. Great stroke makers in Headley, Lara and McCabe from #3 to #5 followed by Chanderpaul who knows how to rebuild an innings and play with tail (as shown by his average of 65 at #6 where he plays in this lineup). Dujon is both a safe gloveman especially to mighty WI pacers and a handy lower order batsman with 5 hundreds to his name.

Overall, this is a mighty strong unit.

Last edited:

mr_mister

I wouldn't go as far as calling your opening combo glorious in the draft universe (Sid Barnes usually goes very late or just unpicked in test drafts)but I agree you have the best bowling and will probably get one of my votes

Bit nitpicky perhaps but I like my write-ups honest rather than gushing. We've all done this long enough to know the good picks from the okay picks

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fairly fond of my top 5. Deadset ATGs, all of them. ATG spinner and GOAT bowling AR to boot. The support cast is decent too. One of my better efforts imo.

Pothas

Clive Lloyd

Lawry
Woodfull
Hammond
Gower
Lloyd*
Ames+
Botham
Marshall
Roberts
Underwood
Snow

Probably not my best but a fun draft, ended up with some players I don't usually pick and a proper 5 man attack.

@mr_mister still ruined it all for me though.

Teuton

International Captain
Bob Simpson
Alastair Cook
Clyde Walcott
Everton Weekes
Michael Clarke c
Gary Sobers
Brad Haddin
Alan Davidson
Wes Hall
Jim Laker
Bill Johnston

A superstar top 6 that will give a solid start from Cook and Simpson, then all out attack from Walcott, Weekes, Clarke and Sobers. Haddin and Davidson add depth at 7 & 8.

Outstanding bowling depth with Davidson and Hall to open, Johnston in support as he did so well in his career and Sobers as a 4th seamer.

And if the pitch is turning Laker will dominate, but there are 3 other decent options in Johnston, Sobers and Simpson.

Clarke will captain. Reportedly not the best man manager off field but an outstanding tactician with a great record for winning.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
G Smith and Benaud can toss a coin to decide the captaincy. Very happy with this side.

David Warner
Graeme Smith (captain?)
Ken Barrington
Steve Smith
Joe Root
Ben Stokes
Matt Prior (wk)
Richie Benaud (captain?)
Fred Trueman
Frank Tyson
Neil Adcock

Magnificent top 5 including the best since Bradman followed by a game-changing allrounder, quality keeper-batsman, and another all rounder in Benaud at 8. The bowling attack consists of a fearsome 50s' pace trio and quality leggie backed up by Stokes and his golden arm. Root, the Smiths, and Barrington can all offer decent part-time spin if required. Whether G Smith or Benaud take the captaincy the side will be well led, and the many experienced players in the side are sure to relish any challenges set.