• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricketer of the year - 2008

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Chanderpaul seems an automatic choice whilst Sehwag was pretty amazing too this year.

Craig

World Traveller
:laugh: O'Brien! There's a turnup for the books! Mind, like with Smith, Bangladesh helps.

Anyway, Chanderpaul for mine, even though he's obviously played far fewer games than some others.
Most Improved Cricketer,for mine (not that it is an award AFAIK) didn't rate him before 2008, and now I do.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I can see the case for Smith. He was just awesome over here... a first series win since readmission on the line, and the century he scored was quite something.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
It's difficult to be flawed as a cricketer when you don't play cricket.

And YES, I KNEW PRECISELY WHAT HAAKON MEANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have to wonder why, if you got what he meant, you felt the need to post that comment.

Expect to see an episode based on this soon on Law and Order: Comedy Victims Unit.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Most Improved Cricketer,for mine (not that it is an award AFAIK) didn't rate him before 2008, and now I do.
If there was an award for most improved cricketer, O'Dire-to-O'Brill 'en would win it hands-down.

And he'd be something of a candidate for an all-time award too. Rarely have I seen someone be so hopeless for a few Tests then go to being as good as he's been since the England tour.

Fully aware, of course, that his first 4 Tests were probably merely an aberration, as his domestic record had always been good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can see the case for Smith. He was just awesome over here... a first series win since readmission on the line, and the century he scored was quite something.
Yeah, but one innings doesn't make a year.

Of course, Smith has been pretty good for the rest of the time, but Bangladesh vastly improves the look - his figures against Test-class teams are no more than very good.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, but one innings doesn't make a year.

Of course, Smith has been pretty good for the rest of the time, but Bangladesh vastly improves the look - his figures against Test-class teams are no more than very good.
But once he's scored 300 runs in the first two matches against Australia and led them to an unassailable 2-0 lead by the end of 2008, I reckon he'll be right up there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IF he does that, he'll be the undisputed choice and I doubt many will complain at his victory.

Even the biggest Smith fan on the forum (ie, me), however, can't see that that's very likely.

pup11

International Coach
It would be Steyn for me if he does well in Australia, but otherwise i would go for either Chanders or Sehwag, both have been amazing and it would be hard to choose between the two, but on the basis of his sheer consistnentcy i think my vote would go for Chanders in the end.

mobilemen

Cricket Spectator
It would be sachin for me He has scored 1000 runs in this year 2007-2008 of test cricket career. The little champion has been always the best and consistent through his performance

This is for the fifth time he has achieved the 1000 test run mark in an year. He has also played several match winning knocks against english and aussies

I just love his way of playing:)