• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test and FC cricketers who are related

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To note an obvious one, Vic Richardson was a grandfather of the Chappells. There have been a few D'Olivieiras. Ben and Adam Hollioake were brothers as well.

EDIT: There have been at least two related Butchers I know of (Mark and Roland).
It's actually amazing how much Chappelli looks like Vic but with a fat head. But Instead Greg got Vic's head but not the face.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Any cricket couples besides Starc and Healy?
Then you've got Healy's uncle playing for Australia too and her dad playing a bit of Shield cricket for Queensland.

Starc's brother is also a champion pole vaulter.

Their kids are gonna have some great genes.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Literally had never realised Phil and lendll were related. What is the relation there?
Another obvious one is the bravo's

Dendarii

International Debutant
Some more South Africans:

Dave and Dudley Nourse

Peter and Gary Kirsten - their father Noel and brothers Andy and Paul also played first-class cricket.

Albie and Morne Morkel - while not ever playing first-class cricket, their father Albert has one List A match to his credit, and their brother Malan played for SA Under-19.

Chris Morris's father Willie had a lengthy first-class career.

Makhaya Ntini's son Thando played for SA Under-19 earlier this year.

Ali and Adam Bacher (uncle and nephew), and they have some other relatives who also played first-class cricket - Aaron Nickel (Ali's uncle), William Kirsh (Ali's nephew), Michael Bacher (Adam's brother).

Justin Kemp and Dave Callaghan are cousins, and Kemp's grandfather and father also played first-class cricket, although only one and three matches respectively.

Tertius Bosch's sons Corbin and Eathen both made their first-class debuts last year, and have also both played for South Africa Under-19.

Craig Matthews' brother Brett played first-class cricket, and I think he may have played in at least one of the rebel tours.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah and it could have had Healy in it if she hadn't become a blue.
She moved to Sydney when she was really young, tbf. Actually caused a minore furor from ***ist neanderthals for cracking her school's first XI many years back.

SeamUp

International Coach
Sorry Dendarii. Just seen your list. Excuse the one's you have already.

Saffers

Father & son

Dave & Dudley Nourse
Pieter & Vince van der Bijl
Johnny & Denis Lindsay
Peter & Shaun Pollock
Noel father to Peter, Andy, Gary & Paul Kirsten
Rodger father to Pat father to Russel Symcox
Ewie & Hansie/Frans Cronje
Kevin & Neil McKenzie
Jimmy & Stephen Cook
Ray & Keaton/Dylan Jennings
Willie & Chris Morris
Tertius & Corbin/Eathan Bosch
John father to Dave father to Michael Richardson
Hylton & HD Ackerman
Colin & Mark Rushmere
Kevin & John Commins

Uncle & Nephew
Jimmy Blanckenberg & Clive van Ryneveld
Ali & Adam Bacher
Graeme & Shaun Pollock
Henry Fotheringham/Trevor Madsen & Wayne Madsen
Weston/Warren Symcox & Pat
Sidney Martin uncle to Hugh, Arthur & Cyril Tayfield
Andre & Mark Bruyns

Brothers
Eric & Athol Rowan
Hugh, Cyril & Arthur Tayfield
Frans & Hansie Cronje
Peter, Gary & Paul Kirsten (Andy too)
Albie & Morne Morkel (Malan too)
Jon-Jon & Kelly Smuts
Pieter & Janneman Malan (Andre too)
Corbin & Eathan Bosch

Brothers in law
Hansie Cronje & Gordon Parsons

Cousins
Dave Callaghan & Justin Kemp
Hugh Tayfield , Hugh Martin & Ian Tayfield

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Sorry Dendarii. Just seen your list. Excuse the one's you have already.
No problem. You came up with quite a few more that I didn't.

There's also Kepler and Riki Wessels.

And the Wikipedia link given earlier in the thread has a couple more sets of brothers:

Bernard, Louis, and Vincent all played tests. None of them ever played in the same match, but both of Bernard's tests featured their cousin Fred Smith.
George "Dusty" Tapscott and Lionel "Doodles" Tapscott also both played tests, but again never together. There was a third Tapscott brother, Norman who played first-class cricket but not tests (I don't know if the lack of a nickname had anything to do with it, although his middle name of van Lilienstein does make up for that :))

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder if the reason so many families play cricket at the top level is due to the coaching the kids receive. Genetics obviously plays a part but cricket is the most technical game in the world so being coached from a young age probably gives a massive boost to a kid's chances of going pro (and getting the opportunities to test themselves).

Tom Flint

International Regular
I wonder if the reason so many families play cricket at the top level is due to the coaching the kids receive. Genetics obviously plays a part but cricket is the most technical game in the world so being coached from a young age probably gives a massive boost to a kid's chances of going pro (and getting the opportunities to test themselves).
I was thinking about this the other day and comparing it to football. There really isn't that many related footballers. The main current one I thought of was kasper and Peter schemichael. And goalkeeping is something you can coach from a young age

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I was thinking about this the other day and comparing it to football. There really isn't that many related footballers. The main current one I thought of was kasper and Peter schemichael. And goalkeeping is something you can coach from a young age
In the last few years there have been lots of brothers in the All Blacks