• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tennis Commentary and why it stinks

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was listening to the radio on the way home this evening and the commentators were hillarious. They were fully laying into Del Potro saying things like, "Why hasn't Del Potro been watching Federer and hitting cross court winners from his shoe laces?" Obviously, a lot has been lost in translation, but it was quite amusing and entertaining to listen to.

howardj

International Coach
Loving Jimmy Courier's commentary.

He's the Mr Cool :cool: of sport's commentary.

Him and Woody are a swell combo.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Courier during commentary describing Verdasco's win over Stepanek.

"He beat him like a red-headed step-child"

:lol:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Are there any disadvantaged people in the Bahamas?"
"Oh, a lot."
"Is that right?"

Really insightful tennis analysis here.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I also hate the patronising attitude to the women's game. Someone hits a serve considerably slower than a lot of the men's second serves and they're like "oh my God, that's an absolute screamer!"
Can't agree. We can make machines that can serve at 500kph, does that make the men's serve slow?

Uppercut

Maybe, if there were was a tennis-machine tournament on the other channel and any of the top 200 machines could destroy every single player in the men's game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I hate that attitude.

Criticise women for hitting more unforced errors per winner if you like, as that is a controllable aspect of their tennis. But if you have a crack at them because they don't hit as hard or run as fast, then you've missed the point.

Additionally a lot of players in men's tennis could learn a thing or two from a few women's players with regards to how to fight when the pressure is on and you look gone in a match. Novak, Tsonga, Ferrer and Blake, among others, are not even as close to as mentally tough as Serena is, or Martina and Graf used to be.

Last edited:

Bobisback

International Regular
Additionally a lot of players in men's tennis could learn a thing or two from a few women's players with regards to how to fight when the pressure is on and you look gone in a match. Novak, Tsonga, Ferrer and Blake, among others, are not even as close to as mentally tough as Serena is, or Martina and Graf used to be.
So could the whole of the Womens circuit other than Serena Williams (and Venus I guess).

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thing is Jono, outside of Fed, Nadal and Serena & Venus themselves, there's hardly a player on both circuits who couldn't learn a great deal from them re: mental strength.

Note, I'm not having a go at womens tennis, but I don't think that argument holds much strength as a reason to why it's a good spectacle.

Last edited:

Uppercut

I hate that attitude.

Criticise women for hitting more unforced errors per winner if you like, as that is a controllable aspect of their tennis. But if you have a crack at them because they don't hit as hard or run as fast, then you've missed the point.

It's just shocking to watch. A really, really poor spectacle. I don't see why people are interested in watching a game that's just like the men's circuit apart from the fact that it:

1. is half as fast
2. contains no attacking strokeplay whatsoever as noone will come anywhere near the net
3. features horrific glass-piercing screams every time someone hits a shot
4. is of a lower quality in pretty much every conceivable way- more unforced errors, less winners, matches only last three sets.

If you tell me "ooh but women are all dainty, you couldn't expect little girls to run as fast as big strong men!!!!" then you're missing the point. Because none of the qualifying you feel you have to give to the ****ness of the game makes it any less painfully bad to watch. I have plenty of respect for some women's tennis players, they've taken up a hobby and got to the very top of it. But in terms of a spectacle, it's like sticking pins in my eyes.

Isolator

State 12th Man
I liked Mats Wilander's commentary stint at the US open last year. Navratilova too is pretty interesting. Neither of them bother with the usual descriptive commentary stuff.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
I liked Mats Wilander's commentary stint at the US open last year. Navratilova too is pretty interesting. Neither of them bother with the usual descriptive commentary stuff.
Yeah, I quite like Wilander and most of the Eurosport and Sky tennis commentary teams. Wilander's understated delivery is a welcome antidote to the (contractual?) hyperbole and unremitting inanity of - say - 95% of football (soccer) commentators.

Tottenham were 2-0 down to Bolton halfway through the 2nd half on Saturday when - in a sudden flash of inspiration - the excited commentator suggested that "the next goal will be crucial".

And they pay these people!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It's just shocking to watch. A really, really poor spectacle. I don't see why people are interested in watching a game that's just like the men's circuit apart from the fact that it:

1. is half as fast
2. contains no attacking strokeplay whatsoever as noone will come anywhere near the net
3. features horrific glass-piercing screams every time someone hits a shot
4. is of a lower quality in pretty much every conceivable way- more unforced errors, less winners, matches only last three sets.

If you tell me "ooh but women are all dainty, you couldn't expect little girls to run as fast as big strong men!!!!" then you're missing the point. Because none of the qualifying you feel you have to give to the ****ness of the game makes it any less painfully bad to watch. I have plenty of respect for some women's tennis players, they've taken up a hobby and got to the very top of it. But in terms of a spectacle, it's like sticking pins in my eyes.
On this topic - how many more Fed/Rafa classics need to come 24 hours after a women's final that's over in 58 ****ing minutes before it stops being funny that they get equal prizemoney?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah it's a deadset disgrace that they get paid the same. I'd like to see what justification whatever the tennis ruling board gives for it.

ripper868

International Coach
Some appeal based on discrimination or something....equal pay for equal work i say...i mean in the slams the shortest a mens match can be is 3 sets whereas that is the longest a womens can be....it does not make sense. [wookie howl]