• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ten players you are glad you saw in their prime

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, great player. Only had ten I could list though. DK was a must for me (and most people who saw him), so I didn’t want to also include Aldi DK.
If I had to pick one player I wish I had seen in their pomp, outside of Bradman, I think it may be DK. Sobers and Viv Richards tied for second.

just the way literally every single player talks about him, must have been something spectacular outside of the pure stats.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Ten players, not considered to be greats that I really enjoyed:

VVS Laxman, for the strokeplay and the clutch innings

Robin Smith, for the square cut

Michael Atherton, for the bloody mindedness

Craig Mcdermott, for the outswing

Carl Hooper, because he looked great batting

Azhar Mahmood, for that innings

Ranatunga, for mauling Shane Warne in the 1996 World Cup final

Sourav Ganguly, for the offside play

Asif Karim, who would have been a top tier spinner for a major country

Kemar Roach, for the hustle

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I mean I know the Nidahas Trophy > every other trophy in cricket put together, but still, this seems to be overrating DK a tad. :p
Well I didn’t say best - hard to look past sobers in the best player regard but just one that I think would have been ELECTRIFYING to watch. Especially with a full crowd in the Aussie summer against rest of world xi. Everyone who played those Tests said it was the highest standard of cricket that they’ve ever played.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Steyn
Pollock
Donald
M Johnson
Srinath?
Bumrah

C Martin
AB
Klusener
Gayle

Guess I'm just voting for the players who excited me the most. I might use different criteria on another day.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well I didn’t say best - hard to look past sobers in the best player regard but just one that I think would have been ELECTRIFYING to watch. Especially with a full crowd in the Aussie summer against rest of world xi. Everyone who played those Tests said it was the highest standard of cricket that they’ve ever played.
Lillee bowling to Viv Richards was the cricketing equivalent of those nature docos where two massive ****ing elk smash their heads into each other and their egos won't let them back down. It was crazy.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Doing 11 (an actual XI this time) because IDGAF.

Gibbs
Trescothick
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Stokes
Gilchrist
Warne
Steyn
Donald
Bumrah

Players aren't necessarily the greatest I've seen but the ones I've most enjoyed watching.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Sachin
Lara
Warne
Wasim Akram
Shoaib Akhtar
Sehwag
AB de Villiers
Steyn
Kohli
Pant - hopefully way more to come from him, but if that is to be his short lived peak it was pretty epic

Generally gone for players I’ve really enjoyed watching over the years

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Smith
Kohli(best out of the lot, if we consider all formats, insane from 2016-18)
Cummins
Bumrah
Pant
ABD(the freakiest guy, my favourite out of these, could do everything in his prime: destroyed Steyn twice in IPL, effortless domination of peak Johnson and blockathons vs Ash and Jaddu)

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Smith
Kohli(best out of the lot, if we consider all formats, insane from 2016-18)
Cummins
Bumrah
Pant
ABD(the freakiest guy, my favourite out of these, could do everything in his prime: destroyed Steyn twice in IPL, effortless domination of peak Johnson and blockathons vs Ash and Jaddu)
And Dhoni for pure unconventional genius (2013 Champions Trophy for example, last time a team I supported won a tournament

JBMAC

State Captain
This list will set the cat amongst the pigeons.

1. Bradman
2 Harvey
3. Tallon
4.Engineer
5. Warne
6. Miller
7. Benaud
8. Gower
9. May
10 Marshall

Deserving of honourable mention: Thomson, Tyson, Fleming(NZ), LeRoux,Chappell(G).

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Stephen Fleming? I am very interested to understand why
Yeah...in all the leviathans I saw on that list, this was the one that 'set the cat amongst the pigeons' for me.

I saw a lot of Fleming bat, for NZ but also in the nets, Canterbury etc. Looked graceful as hell, no doubt, but I can't say he was anywhere near my 'glad I saw them' short list. In fact, I can't remember a single epic on NZ soil. Given he scored two Test centuries in 54 Tests (!!!!!) I guess that's not surprising.

Now that I think of it, has there been a worse/more underperforming home player in history?