• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sydney Barnes vs Anil Kumble

shortpitched713

International Captain
An absolutely ****ing hilarious find from the ICC Rating average calculation was that these two guys have less than 1 point between them as the number 3 and 4 spinners of all time respectively.

Clearly nothing between them, and they were exactly the same as test bowlers in every way. Thoughts?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Saying a quickish leg spinner and Alec-Bedser style medium-fast bowler were 'exactly the same' is rather stretching the definition of the word 'exactly', unless your only defining criterion is 'they moved the ball from leg'.
I'm sincerely very sorry that the online forum format doesn't turn out to be the best way to convey what I thought must have been very obvious sarcasm. The thread was started half for a laugh as anything, with the other half being an interesting way to consider a contrast between the radical changes of cricket from old to modern times.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Anil Kumble and Chandra are most likely the closest relatives to Barnes in bowling styles. On damp or matting pitches both of them would have recorded some ridiculous figures. Both of them possessed the "medium fast seam up induckers" too. Kumble gave it up very early in his career possibly for a minor tweak in the action.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm sincerely very sorry that the online forum format doesn't turn out to be the best way to convey what I thought must have been very obvious sarcasm. The thread was started half for a laugh as anything, with the other half being an interesting way to consider a contrast between the radical changes of cricket from old to modern times.
Perhaps try make it more obvious. Anyone who has done a bit of research knows they aren't comparable in bowling styes, but you have complete idiots like the one above who think they are.

shortpitched713

International Captain
medium-fast
On a more serious note, I'm highly skeptical of this specific turn of phrase to describe bowler pace, especially from eras where we have scant footage of play, let alone stopwatch/speedgun measurement of pace. Like literally, what the hell does that even mean?? (and yes I get the vague sort of definitional meaning of in between fast and medium, I'm talking about some sort of scientific rigor or even just a bit of precision)

shortpitched713

International Captain
Anil Kumble and Chandra are most likely the closest relatives to Barnes in bowling styles. On damp or matting pitches both of them would have recorded some ridiculous figures. Both of them possessed the "medium fast seam up induckers" too. Kumble gave it up very early in his career possibly for a minor tweak in the action.
Most of the people who could tell you who the closest relatives to Barnes are in bowling style are long dead. Some wrote about it, but not nearly enough, especially those that were professional cricketers themselves. Bradman for instance is 20 years gone, and aside from a quick quote likening him to some leg spin bowlers of his era, didn't offer much.

Starfighter

Most of the people who could tell you who the closest relatives to Barnes are in bowling style are long dead. Some wrote about it, but not nearly enough, especially those that were professional cricketers themselves. Bradman for instance is 20 years gone, and aside from a quick quote likening him to some leg spin bowlers of his era, didn't offer much.
Bradman, as far as I know, never saw Barnes bowl either

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
However, we know that Barnes was Homo sapiens sapiens and as a result there are things such a species can do, and cannot. Then we know the five and half ounce red ball keeps with laws of physics, so once again we know what it can and cannot do. Once we cut the crap out in the form of glorifying from the accounts of the past, we can get a good idea what Barnes could have bowled.

From all the accounts and pictures it appears he bowled front of the hand leg breaks and some seam ups in between, the predominant type depending on the situation. For example the accounts of ball swinging in and spinning away in the same delivery is utter hogwash, because it is impossible with knowledge of physics. But inswingers and legbreaks mixture is always possible. So are out swingers and off breaks.

ataraxia

International Coach
Some sites use MF as quicker than FM but (a) that doesn't make linguistic sense and (b) it's not the most common term. Not that there's really a consistent way of differentiating between the two anyhow.

mr_mister

Some sites use MF as quicker than FM but (a) that doesn't make linguistic sense and (b) it's not the most common term. Not that there's really a consistent way of differentiating between the two anyhow.
It can make linguistic sense if you consider it to mean like, medium level of the fast category compared to fast level of the medium category, which is what I thought as a kid

the big bambino

International Captain
On a more serious note, I'm highly skeptical of this specific turn of phrase to describe bowler pace, especially from eras where we have scant footage of play, let alone stopwatch/speedgun measurement of pace. Like literally, what the hell does that even mean?? (and yes I get the vague sort of definitional meaning of in between fast and medium, I'm talking about some sort of scientific rigor or even just a bit of precision)
The depth of the slips is a measure you can use and I've seen Barnes' slips stand quite deep especially in Australia. Barnes knew his money earning potential and conserved his resources to extend his career. I think this adds to the confusion over his category. When he was bowling in conditions or against opposition that didn't warrant it he cut his pace. However he would often make demands conditional on touring Australia because he would have to apply his skills at top pace which he, not unreasonably thought, could curtail or end his career. In fact his first tour here was ended at the start of the 3rd test with a knee injury.

You get a few idiots around today who think they know better than the test players who actually faced Barnes. Barnes did bowl out of the front of the hand but his grip across the seam and with the ball set deep in his hands was original. So yes, his leg break came out the front but so did his top spinner and off break. It was difficult to spot one from the others. Bradman once mentioned a delivery from Bedser delivered on off, swung in to pitch on leg and eventually took off. But what would he know ... Previously Sid Barnes (the Aussie batsman) complained about Bedser's inswinging leg breaks. Barnes' most famous spell was at Melbourne in 11/12. His over to Hill probably the best he bowled. He beat him with an off break, inswinger and out swinger before bowling him with a ball pitched on leg and hitting off. There is no mention whether he swung the ball on leg but it does show Barnes numerous skills and the levels of control he had over them. Soon after he dismissed Armstrong with a leg break. Later he had Roy Minnett dropped at 3rd slip, an indication as to speed he was bowling. The pitch was hard and true.

Last edited: