• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 15 2011

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agreed. Raping the cash cow, methinks.

Competition was best with 12. Perth & Melbourne just aren't rugby hotbeds. Would have been better off with a Pacific Island or Argentine team.

HeathDavisSpeed

Week Two Fixtures:
Highlanders vs Chiefs
Rebels vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Hurricanes vs Crusaders
Waratahs vs Reds
Shark vs Blues
Stormers vs Lions

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Agreed. Raping the cash cow, methinks.

Competition was best with 12. Perth & Melbourne just aren't rugby hotbeds. Would have been better off with a Pacific Island or Argentine team.
I've always thought a Japanese franchise would have been worth looking at. It might have to be propped up with imports to make it competitive on the field, but club rugby in Japan is pretty big. I CBA to check, but if memory serves in terms of registered players only England, France, SA & NZ have more.

HeathDavisSpeed

Not such a bad idea when the NZRU and ARU seem willing to stage internationals in Hong Kong to host a SuperRugby team up there. I wonder if it might be worth staging an IRB funded tournament between an Argentine team, Pacific Island team and Japanese team and an NPC & Currie Cup XV. 5 teams, round robin tournament hosted by Argentina, Fiji & Japan on rotation in order to keep costs down.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I've always thought a Japanese franchise would have been worth looking at. It might have to be propped up with imports to make it competitive on the field, but club rugby in Japan is pretty big. I CBA to check, but if memory serves in terms of registered players only England, France, SA & NZ have more.
It is but it's also company rugby, from what I can gather most if not all the local players work for the corporations which sponsor/run the clubs and any single franchise as the Japanese coach, John Kirwan said would marginalise the corporations backing for the domestic game.

"We don't want to (play in Super Rugby) because we have 20 of the biggest sponsors in the world which spends between $US5-6 million on rugby teams," Kirwan told AAP. "So I can't see the point in having one franchise in Tokyo, all we're going to do is annoy Toyota which has a $US1 billion marketing budget."

Japan doesn't want Super Rugby - Kirwan | Rugby Union | South Africa | Rugby News | ESPN Scrum

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
On the Force maybe a Perth local can fill us in but from what I’ve read the franchise at least off the pitch has been success, going by the crowds the Force get and growing membership and participation of the sport in Western Australia. Also helps that its large South African expat community turn out when the Bulls, Sharks and Stormers visit.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
"Peters said that SANZAR executive committee involving all three countries had agreed to declare the Hurricanes v Crusaders match a draw and the competition points would be shared evenly between the two franchises (two points each), as consistent with similar situations in other international tournaments."

From that site it also reports that the Crusaders will be without a home ground for the rest of the season and that their next home game scheduled to be against the Waratahs may now be hosted at Sydney's Football Stadium, the Waratahs home.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Highlanders vs Chiefs
Rebels vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Hurricanes vs Crusaders - NP though Crusaders
Waratahs vs Reds
Shark vs Blues
Stormers vs Lions

HeathDavisSpeed

From that site it also reports that the Crusaders will be without a home ground for the rest of the season and that their next home game scheduled to be against the Waratahs may now be hosted at Sydney's Football Stadium, the Waratahs home.
That's bull****. There's plenty of other grounds in Crusaders territory. Cantabrians should get the chance to see their team - Nelson and Blenheim have decent enough stadiums. Play there, FFS.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
That's bull****. There's plenty of other grounds in Crusaders territory. Cantabrians should get the chance to see their team - Nelson and Blenheim have decent enough stadiums. Play there, FFS.
That was exactly what I was thinking - could even allow Invercargill or Manawatu to host a few matches if the Tasman region couldn't host the full allocation of Crusaders home games.

HeathDavisSpeed

If the only concern is over the quality of those stadia, then look at the crowds for the Canes/Highlanders game. You could fit that number in down the local park, let alone Trafalgar Park, Nelson (capacity 20,000) or Lansdowne Park, Blenheim.

ripper868

International Coach
Easy there tigers, it "may" be played there, basically NSW and the SFS stadium have offered it as an alternative if the Crusaders need to take it up - they haven't 'stolen' anything :)

HeathDavisSpeed

Common sense has prevailed and Trafalgar Park, Nelson will host at least the next two Crusaders home games. A great opportunity for Nelson to showcase their newly upgraded stadium and for Crusaders fans to turn out in force. I expect at least the first game to be a sell-out. Tempted to head over there myself, actually.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Somewhat ironic that after we'd mocked them all week following their massive loss against the Waratahs, the Rebels squeezed a one-point win against the Brumbies in their second match last night. Certainly didn't predict that (had the Brumbies 13+ on the virtual rugby) nor did I expect the Highlanders to beat a rather poor Chiefs side to make it 2 wins on the trot this season - thats as many victories as Otago managed in the entire 2010 ITM Cup!