• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super 15 2011

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm not. Much like the County 20:20 in the UK, SANZAR are whipping every ounce of money out of the Super Rugby cash cow. Every year it gets longer and with every additional team, the quality gets diluted. Plus, the NPC has been trimmed to accommodate this extension (effectively, if not directly). Super Rugby should go back to its roots. They won't get the crowds back like this.

Hurricanes vs Highlanders
Rebels vs Waratahs
B.lose vs Crusaders (Stephen Brett vs. Dan Carter)
Brumbies vs Chiefs
Sharks vs Cheetahs
Lions vs Bulls
Reds vs Force
I reckon Melbourne deserved a team far more than Western Australia at the time. Had went to a few city games with my dad when I was over there including a match against a pretty strong Crusaders team. Gets a bit more of the family rivalry going with the Hurricanes-Rebels being a game where me and dad can go to the city and watch the game every year.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Is that a good thing though? I can wait until the summer to watch the Sharks play the Cheetahs twice in the Currie Cup. Don’t really want to see that in Super rugby as well. Super 12 was the best, South Africa and Australia can’t support 5 sides, not if they are going to be filled with a local talent pool.
I don't think its a bad thing in terms of crowd numbers - I imagine NZ supporters would be more inclined to attend home matches when their sides face rival national franchises than against some of the Australian and South African sides, especially the weaker ones. New Zealand rugby's structured a bit differently to the Currie Cup, since the Blues, Crusaders, etc. don't exist in our provincial competition, unlike the South African franchises, so perhaps the South African fans will have differing views on the conference format. The big issue for me though is the length of the season, and the new format is certainly an issue in that regard.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hurricanes vs Highlanders
Rebels vs Waratahs
Blues vs Crusaders
Brumbies vs Chiefs
Sharks vs Cheetahs
Lions vs Bulls
Reds vs Force

Better give me the home team for the highlanders game since I am too late to tip it - it is 8:45pm and the game is in the se4cond half.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon Melbourne deserved a team far more than Western Australia at the time. Had went to a few city games with my dad when I was over there including a match against a pretty strong Crusaders team. Gets a bit more of the family rivalry going with the Hurricanes-Rebels being a game where me and dad can go to the city and watch the game every year.
Always thought that decision had something to do with wanting a city without a League presence. The idea might have merit with the NRLs likely expansion to Perth being complicated by Rugby fans having a few years to get attached to a local team. I don't think expansion into Melbourne would be any more difficult for Union now than it would have been a few years ago.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dire advert for """"SuperRugby"""" tonight from the Westpac Stadium. If you try and tell me the quality of that game was better than that on offer for the NPC for more than double the ticket price then you are full of bull****. Utter tripe, and a woeful attendance to boot. Enough is enough.

Shame Wellington lost 12 - 11 in the end (11 points to Sopoanga, 12 to other provinces)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neither deserve a team. How many locals are in the Rebels/Western Force teams? Australia clearly can't support 5 teams judging by how many imports they've had to get draft in. Off the top of my head I can think of Cipriani, Ged Robinson (!) & Willie Ripia. The Rebels will in all likelihood get as many Kiwi expats watching their games as locals. SuperRugby is a joke (sorry, it's not Super 15, it's SuperRugby - I was at NZRU headquarters tonight and calling the tournament Super 15 is a big no-no. As was my pro-NPC rhetoric)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Dire advert for """"SuperRugby"""" tonight from the Westpac Stadium. If you try and tell me the quality of that game was better than that on offer for the NPC for more than double the ticket price then you are full of bull****. Utter tripe, and a woeful attendance to boot. Enough is enough.

Shame Wellington lost 12 - 11 in the end (11 points to Sopoanga, 12 to other provinces)
Agreed, not a particularly flash start - although when you've got a Highlanders side which has Otago, bottom of the ITM Cup, and Southland, arguably the dullest provincial side, as your main base for players, against an ill-disciplined Hurricanes outfit in round one of the competition, perhaps we should've been expecting that sort of performance. The reason I tipped the Blues was because I expected some of the better NZ sides like the Hurricanes and Crusaders to start slowly, so now that the Canes have completed their end of the bargain its time for the Cantabs to follow suit. :happy:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Neither deserve a team. How many locals are in the Rebels/Western Force teams? Australia clearly can't support 5 teams judging by how many imports they've had to get draft in. Off the top of my head I can think of Cipriani, Ged Robinson (!) & Willie Ripia. The Rebels will in all likelihood get as many Kiwi expats watching their games as locals. SuperRugby is a joke (sorry, it's not Super 15, it's SuperRugby - I was at NZRU headquarters tonight and calling the tournament Super 15 is a big no-no. As was my pro-NPC rhetoric)
How rebellious for this topic to be named Super 15 then!

The Rebels also have the likes of diehard Australians Somerville, Hoani MacDonald and Kevin O'Neill; and former stars who I tend to think are past their absolute best like Mortlock, Huxley and Gerrard (quality players in their prime admittedly).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can add Gareth Delve (Ex-Wales and Gloucester) & Mick Lipman (ex-England & Bath), although, to be fair, the latter is a quasi-Aussie (Blighty-born, Ocker raised).

Proper towelling for the Rebels to begin with in any case; 43-0 at home not quite the fillip the 15-man code needed. Although 25k an encouraging turn out, must compare well to Storm games.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Storm never get that many but in saying that Olympic Park was a horrible ground and the Storm are yet to play a match where they could win competiion points at the Rebels home ground.

I tend to think tha Australia is the only country really benefiting due to the lack of a proper domestic comp.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I tend to think tha Australia is the only country really benefiting due to the lack of a proper domestic comp.
Yeah, I find that so weird. I'm sure the Sydney and Brisbane comps are a fairly high standard, but to not have a national league is surreal.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah, I find that so weird. I'm sure the Sydney and Brisbane comps are a fairly high standard, but to not have a national league is surreal.
Was tried tbf - the ARC comp which "unearthed" players like Pocock, Beale, Burgess, The Faingaa twins, Dean Mumm, Matt Hodgson, Ben Daley, Sleezy Maa'fuu anda couple of others. YouTube - Australian Rugby Championship

Cost being the big factor stopping it from running - We've got a pretty big **** off land mass here and the travel aint cheap.

The Sydney and Brisbane Premier Comps are of a good standard and a few of the teams IMo would give a couple of the NPC teams a fair shake (Uni, Eastwood in Sydney for example).

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Rugby (both codes) only exists in the northern states. Can't have a national competition when half the country doesn't know the sport exists.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Obviously NSW & QLD are the heartlands of both codes (more populous than the rest of the country put together too) but the Lions usually play a WA XV too when they tour (and haven't been to Oz since the Reds joined the Super 14 as was), so there must be some interest over there at least.

Could totally see why the travel to Perth/Freo might put off eastern teams tho, What sort of crowds do the club comps in Sydney/Bris get?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Excellent match this evening - although at halftime I was wishing I hadn't tried to tip the upset! High quality from both sides despite a few early-season errors. Pleasing to see Ali Williams back in particular.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Week One Points and Standings after Week One:
Samuel_Vimes 6
Social 6
Somerset 6
BoyBrumby 5
HeathDavisSpeed 5
Ripper868 5
TT Boy 5
Hurricane 4
Athlai 3
Quaggas 3

Week Two Fixtures:
Highlanders vs Chiefs
Rebels vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Hurricanes vs Crusaders
Waratahs vs Reds
Shark vs Blues
Stormers vs Lions

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Week Two Fixtures:

Highlanders vs Chiefs
Rebels vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Hurricanes vs Crusaders
Waratahs vs Reds
Sharks vs Blues
Stormers vs Lions

ripper868

International Coach
Week Two Fixtures:
Highlanders vs Chiefs
Rebels vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Hurricanes vs Crusaders
Waratahs vs Reds
Shark vs Blues
Stormers vs Lions

Quaggas

State Captain
Highlanders vs Chiefs
Rebels vs Brumbies
Cheetahs vs Bulls
Hurricanes vs Crusaders
Waratahs vs Reds
Sharks vs Blues
Stormers vs Lions

Long way from wooden spoon to tipping champ :ph34r:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Interested to see how the Lions fare this year, played some good stuff in the Currie Cup and are now being bank rolled heavily. Be nice if they can get out of Ellis Park also, one of the most pathetic sights on a Friday evening is seeing the Lions let in 50 odd in front of 10 people in a 60,000+ stadium.
Pretty impressive start and they took the Bulls to the wire. 50,000+ at Ellis Park as well. Can't remember the last time that occurred for a Lions game.

Rebels game was a joke. Michael Lipman, Gareth Delve, Hoani MacDonald et cetera, laughable recruits. They were all dead on their feet come 50 minutes. You would think the franchise would have looked to get some local players in (Rocky Elsom, Digby Ioane) or get some real marquee players in. Can't see the locals staying loyal to this rabble for too long.