• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart Broad

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sidebottom was pretty good. The selectors were always very quick to bin him after one or two mediocre games, even though their other options weren't that great.

The thinking at the time was that county wickets didn't count for much if you took them with swing, because it wouldn't translate to tests. It was only after his career was basically over that everyone realised that playing swing was what most touring batsmen were worst at.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sidebottom was easily our best bowler for a year or so yeah. I’m not sure he was dropped so much as he got injured and by the time he was up and running again the team had pretty much sorted itself out post 2009. I think the last thing he did for England was the 2010 world t20 win.

Flem274*

123/5
sidebottom was a gun. didn't he get injured for ages then on return anderson, broad etc had finally cemented their places?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was great away to NZ in 08 iirc

Always enjoyed watching him bowl. I guess left arm seamers are always fun to watch but was a rare sight for England. His batting was very distinctive too. A fun cricketer and good bloke

flibbertyjibber

Yep, I remember there being talk of them being a Windies type quartet for 6 or 7 years, and in the end we were left with dear old hoggy plugging away, in admirable but non-exciting way.
Yeah and when he had a couple of bad games he got dropped after watching Harmlessone bowl pies for years and keep his place. Was totally unfair.

Flem274*

123/5
they were both purged after hamilton 08 where they were on the wrong side of taylor's first test ton. the seddon park deck was on the slower side and harmison was right arm fast medium by that stage so his style was not suited to the conditions, and hoggard was a solid bowler but didn't manage to make the ball talk like the similarly paced kyle mills did in the same match, which offended the english.

anderson, sidebottom and broad were the trio for the game at the basin which they won thanks to anderson hucking it full for one of his last times in nz (i may be mixing this up with napier, but i think sidebottom won napier iirc).

anderson established himself as the slightly wild swing bowler before pulling his length back to become current anderson a year or so later. would be interesting to see what happened had he not made that adjustment.

Flem274*

123/5
there's probably an alternate universe where sidebottom, tremlett and bresnan stay fit and they're the english attack of the 10s. onions another we haven't seen enough of.

bresnan is an underrated loss for england. hit the deck hard at good pace and was the bowling allrounder they hoped broad would be long term. it's a shame he faded into a trundler.

Uppercut

there's probably an alternate universe where sidebottom, tremlett and bresnan stay fit and they're the english attack of the 10s. onions another we haven't seen enough of.

bresnan is an underrated loss for england. hit the deck hard at good pace and was the bowling allrounder they hoped broad would be long term. it's a shame he faded into a trundler.
Might be totally unfounded but I felt like Bresnan and Sidebottom had to really push their bodies to get that extra yard of pace expected of a test bowler, and maybe weren't ever going to be able to have long international careers.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Bresnan looked like he was putting his body through hell with every delivery. Not a bad action or anything, just put 150% into every delivery. Makes sense that he would break down.

Howe_zat

Audio File
youtube does the usual search engine finaglery though, giving you the things it thinks you want. when I search for Tim i get cricket clips