• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart Broad

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Did answer this thread 11 years ago but have an updated answer.

Fair bit of a **** but pretty good cricketer I'd have to say. Grew into his bone structure as well. I'd give him about an 8.5/10.

SeamUp

International Coach
Anyone who who has to go through the torture of supporting Nottingham Forest FC with me is a good bloke.

Seriously, when he goes on a hot run he tears you apart with a bit of swing, seam or bounce. Been very good for England and almost like Morkel has found is very best post 30.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
So my first post, here goes boyos!

I clicked on this thread because it is about the most talked about man in cricket as of this time and looking back at those first few pages is a laugh (thread was set up in 09 I think). It's strange because 2009 was a decent year for Broad, I believe he picked up his first five for against the Aussies, bowled really quick (Was going toe to toe with Fred who had started to bowl 90+ again) and yet people were labelling him medium pace and claiming he had no swing. The latter could be true, although he generated serious pace in that series and managed some late swing with the old ball as well.

Anyway, onto the present, Broady has turned into a very good bowler, definitely better than what I would have imagined all those years ago. Tad bit of overrating from some but he is a top for England all time, only wish he had more of a run in ODI cricket as he was a solid limited overs bowler back in the day. I also think this is the perfect time for Broadster and Jimster to work as mentors of a good crop of English fast bowlers coming into the squad.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Welcome aboard.

I think this thread is mostly from earlier in the year when England had just failed to defend a big target against India, and so naturally people were frustrated with the attack. The first bump is from the first half of the 2009 Ashes.

2007-09 was not a happy time for our bowling with the arse end of Harmison's career, Flintoff mostly injured, unreliable Anderson mark 1 and Broad probably picked a year too early. Early Prior struggled a bit with the gloves too.

I remember at the time a lot of criticism was directed at the batting for things like getting out at annoying times, mostly at Bell and Pietersen, but everyone in the top five had good records and it was definitely the bowling/fielding that was the problem.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2007-09 was not a happy time for our bowling with the arse end of Harmison's career, Flintoff mostly injured, unreliable Anderson mark 1 and Broad probably picked a year too early. Early Prior struggled a bit with the gloves too.

I remember at the time a lot of criticism was directed at the batting for things like getting out at annoying times, mostly at Bell and Pietersen, but everyone in the top five had good records and it was definitely the bowling/fielding that was the problem.
Yeah they got bowled out for 50 something against West Indies which led to a lot of talk, think Bell got dropped after that.

The 2005 bowling attack fell apart so quickly, feels like a bit of a lost time between then and 2009/10 but then it might just be becuse that was the time in my life when I watched the least amount of cricket. We had Sidebottom and Panesar though, that was fun.

grecian

Yeah they got bowled out for 50 something against West Indies which led to a lot of talk, think Bell got dropped after that.

The 2005 bowling attack fell apart so quickly, feels like a bit of a lost time between then and 2009/10 but then it might just be becuse that was the time in my life when I watched the least amount of cricket. We had Sidebottom and Panesar though, that was fun.

Yep, I remember there being talk of them being a Windies type quartet for 6 or 7 years, and in the end we were left with dear old hoggy plugging away, in admirable but non-exciting way.

Pothas

Weird that he probably had the best career of the four (as a bowler obviously), think he gets called underrated quite a lot already so he is probably not that but some of his away performances were so good.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Saj Mahmood though. Not very fun. At all.

Pothas

I always think he must have only played a couple of Tests but no he managed eight of them. Eight.