• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart Broad v Mitchell Johnson

Who is the better player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smash84

The Tiger King

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I went for Mitch ..for that exhilarating pace and that beautiful swing of the bat when he hits the ball..More natural than Broad may be...He underachieved with the bat for sure

Burner

International Regular
I voted for Broad because I don't like Johnson's face. Purely objective.

Last edited:

Stace

First Class Debutant
Would anyone change there vote if the question was "who has had the better Test career"? (up to now).

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is tough. I'm going to cop out and say it depends on who's at the other end but wow.

Edit: vcs!

SuperMurali

School Boy/Girl Captain
Broad. Because Johnson bowls to the left, he bowls to the rrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhttttt........

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I went for Mitch ..for that exhilarating pace and that beautiful swing of the bat when he hits the ball..More natural than Broad may be...He underachieved with the bat for sure
Always felt that Johnson could've batted at 7 and perhaps 6. Had a great technique and great defence.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson the better player in general, but they are very different bowlers. On a helpful seaming pitch though you'd prefer Broad though.

re. Johnson's batting, he's one of those players who looks so could technique-wise that you get tricked into thinking he's a better batsman than he actually is.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Johnson the better player in general, but they are very different bowlers. On a helpful seaming pitch though you'd prefer Broad though.

re. Johnson's batting, he's one of those players who looks so could technique-wise that you get tricked into thinking he's a better batsman than he actually is.
Good post.

Red

What, Johnson's defence was the worst part of his game by far.
He had a good defence but sometimes played the wrong line (I get that that is contradictory).

Always felt that he never had to take much responsibility with the bat, but if he had have, he could have been quite good and averaged 30 ish.

Spark

Global Moderator
He had a good defence but sometimes played the wrong line (I get that that is contradictory).

Always felt that he never had to take much responsibility with the bat, but if he had have, he could have been quite good and averaged 30 ish.
Making sure you play down the right line is a pretty important part of defending tbh.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Johnson for me but I am biased as I have never liked broad. If its pure stats they are pretty close thought.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Johnson at the moment, it's utterly pointless discounting Broads rubbish start to his career, when we always remember Mitch's horror spells. So the better Test match player so far is Johnson IMHO.

In the end I hope Broad over-takes him, and am confident he will, but at the moment batting about equal and Johnson still the better bowler.

Red

Making sure you play down the right line is a pretty important part of defending tbh.
100% true. I reckon his defence problems were more an issue with he always wanted to attack, if that makes sense. Caught in two minds as they used to say. If he'd been given more responsibility with his batting, and had worked on his defensive game a little more, I reckon he could have been very good.