• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith prediciton thread..

Steve Smith prediciton..

• He will resign; his career is finished.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chrish

International Debutant
Smith has shown tremendous promise to be the player of his generation. But now out of completely unforeseen circumstances, his future remains complete mystery.

Personally humiliated and financially hurt, he will also miss the entire year of competitive Cricket. Part of me would want to see the old Smith again, but I am skeptical after the way things have turned out.

What is your take on his future?

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
One can never know for sure of course; I've voted based on what I'd like to see,

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He'll be back. Ban will be reduced. Will spend 6 months getting throwdowns from the mrs in the nets installed in his home and will be able to bat with a stump by the time he's back.

Spark

Global Moderator
He could return to ATG standard and be in contention and the best batsman in the world and still never quite reach the heights of the last few years, they were that ridiculous.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He could return to ATG standard and be in contention and the best batsman in the world and still never quite reach the heights of the last few years, they were that ridiculous.
Sorta how I see it. He will probably be Australia’s best batsman when he returns but the lightning has been let out of the bottle IMO.

Justo

U19 Debutant
While the whole situation is horrible I think losing the captaincy could be one of the best things that happens to the guy. He can go and focus purely on batting (maybe bowling again as well) and live in his own zone away from any further drama.

Edit: The break from the ban could also be nice for him to go away and rest up. He's looked tired since the Ashes.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
I honestly hope his ban gets reduced and we get to see Smith vs Kohli volume two later this year. I thought a one year ban was a bit excessive.

Zinzan

He'll come back and pile on the runs again imo. His motivation levels will be off the charts.
This. He can afford to be single-minded about batting without the burdens of captaincy, & 12 months really isn't that long in practicality.

Does anyone know how many Test he'll miss in that time? I'm guessing about 8.

Burner

International Regular
This IS a kind of major set back for Smith. Doesn't matter how many bowling machines he has at home, it is not going to come close to the value that actual gametime brings him. It's One year at his prime let's not forget.

Gob

International Coach
This. He can afford to be single-minded about batting without the burdens of captaincy, & 12 months really isn't that long in practicality.

Does anyone know how many Test he'll miss in that time? I'm guessing about 8.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
If he really can't even play domestic cricket his career is going to be severely damaged. In reality, its more than a one year ban. He cant exactly come flying back into the test side after playing grade.

Daemon

If he really can't even play domestic cricket his career is going to be severely damaged. In reality, its more than a one year ban. He cant exactly come flying back into the test side after playing grade.
by that time Australia would've probably given a cap to every single Shield batsmen so they'll probably look to grade anyways

Zinzan

Disagree, NZ players like Williamson played only white-ball cricket for close to 12 months before NZ played tests against The Windies this season.

I'd say net & bowling machine practice wouldn't be any worse for test cricket than say KW playing T20 and ODI tournaments.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Disagree, NZ players like Williamson played only white-ball cricket for close to 12 months before NZ played tests against The Windies this season.

I'd say net & bowling machine practice wouldn't be any worse for test cricket than say KW playing T20 and ODI tournaments.
Yeah but Kane would clearly average at least 80 in Test cricket if not for that. It's affecting him massively. ;)

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
There's a famous quote in NBA:-

"Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion!"

Won't underestimate Piggy. He will be back.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He'll miss out on the stat padding India tour and arrive just in time for the ashes in England. If he gets a season of county in he'll take out his vengeance on the English at home.

Flem274*

123/5
yeah dunno why people think he won't get any game time for 12 months. he can play county stuff in the winter and even do some SA or NZ domestix in the summer if he wants. Any FC team in the world would be stoked to have him.