• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Harmison

Steve Harmison for the first Test?

• Total voters

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
From my post in the England in West Indies tour thread after Harmison was dropped:

With the exception of the "unconvincing" description of England's home victory over the West Indies (and I don't think anyone would have expected the Windies to have put in such a half-arsed performance), I've been more or less spot on.
Yes top summary indeed. But just a few things i disagree on.

Firstly it would be wrong to say that people where somehow blinded by Harmo's pace in warm-up game & he bowled poorly. He clearly was impressive throughout that game. Thus he should be in the squad & team for Lord's.

Secondly, Harmo ODI career clearly is over. Even if he does well in the how much ever tests he plays for the remainder of the Ashes. The selectors would be absolutely foolish to pick him.

Thirdly. Although he has a history of being poor tourist i.e SA 04/05. I think if the SA pitches are similar to what AUS had a few months ago. Depending on his form, those condtions could very well & be to his liking. Since in 04/05 excpet for the Jo'Burg test those pitches where very flat.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There's a snippet in the Independent today suggesting that Harmison will retire from test cricket at the end of this series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The link Corrino posted in the staff forum was to The Guardian. Amazing how a story spreads like wildfire. Was surprised to see CricInfo still didn't have it last time I looked - wonder if they have yet?

Wonder if this announcement will increase, decrease or not alter the likelihood of him playing this series?

Anyway if Harmison were to retire it'd be like Vaughan earlier - a good way to remove a question-mark that everyone can do without.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If Harmo does retire. This is devastating news for ENG bowling attack. No 90 mph in test cricket after the Ashes??. Rassclathhhh yo

Regardless of Harmo's travelling woes, I SERIOUSLY believe he could have an effect in SA this winter. Especially as i expect the pitches are similar to what AUS had in Feb/March this year. Those surfaces look tailor made for the Durham destroyer..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If Harmo does retire. This is devastating news for ENG bowling attack. No 90 mph in test cricket after the Ashes??. Rassclathhhh yo

Regardless of Harmo's travelling woes, I SERIOUSLY believe he could have an effect in SA this winter. Especially as i expect the pitches are similar to what AUS had in Feb/March this year. Those surfaces look tailor made for the Durham destroyer..
Do you actually watch cricket?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBF, the definition below does just say it's an expression of surprise.

I think it's pretty vile though

Last edited: